none
External monitor changes to primary monitor when i close laptop lid.

Question

• Now, I have of course told the computer to let nothing happen when i close 
    the lid.

This is an annoying problem because whenever i close the lid on my laptop to watch 
    a movie on our external lcd monitor, the previously duplicated desktop on my ext
    disappears a few seconds and then
    becomes the primary desktop.
    This, in turn, changes the resolution and causes the fullscreen to not work 
    properly.

Problem is my girlfriend and I have the same kind of laptop (compaq cq60-140eo), 
    and with her computer this is no problem at all. When we use her computer and close 
    the lid, with the ext. monitor cloned from the laptop, nothing happens, it just continues 
    to run smoothly as a clone of the now closed laptop monitor, no stops or anything.

Do you have any idea how I could get my exact same computer to behave the same??

Thanks for your time!

Bo.

Saturday, November 14, 2009 3:39 PM

Answers

• 1. This is a standard setup for me, and one of the first settings I configure with new laptops. So, it is done.
    2. I have tried fiddling around here and the only thing that is weird is that the laptop chooses external as 1a, yet it puts laptop monitor as 1b AND primary.
    I would not say that was a natural choice, but it is still correct and nothing I am able to change, it has just decided that the external monitor is 1a. 
    If I close the lid so that the external monitor becomes primary and check nvidia control panel it has switched to showing only one monitor, namely the external.
    I'm out of ideas.

Hi,

I’ve double check it on my laptop and  find:
    1. My external monitor is 1a and my laptop monitor is 1b, they were set as Duplicate.
    2. If I close the lid, the external monitor did not show any freeze or change the resolution. When I check the settings in NVIDIA control panel, they were still show as 1a and 1b.
    3. There is no change when I open the lid.

Since your external monitor show as the only monitor when you close the lid, I believe there is a setting that you missed which will turn off the laptop monitor when you close the lid, have you check the settings in your BIOS? (maybe it’s under Power Management or Advanced Settings) or any HP customized Power Management program were installed?

From HP support center, I try to search it from “Compaq Presario CQ60 Notebook PC and HP G60 Notebook PC - Maintenance and Service Guide” pdf file, but to no avail.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=uk&product=3822918&lang=en&

In this situation, I suggest you contact HP support to confirm the related settings. It’s would be a bother to test all the related options by yourself. 
    http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

Good Luck!

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 1:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to know what happened when you open the lid after that? Is the primary laptop in sleeping mode , or does it shows black screen.

At this point, I suggest go to Control Panel, Power Options, Edit Plan settings, advanced settings, set power buttons and lid as "to do nothing". In addition, please make sure that your display card driver is the same as your girlfriends. If not, we may need to install the proper driver to fix the issue.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 7:34 AM
  • As I mentioned first, I have already done that, no action is to happen when i put the lid down.
    When I open the lid there is a couple seconds black screen as the laptop switches it's own monitor back to primary,
    and everything goes back to normal.

Her graphics driver is from 11.07.2008 while mine are from 23.07.2008. I'm not when I updated the drivers, that can be it.
    But since I have the newest drivers, are you suggesting I rollback the driver to last summers' to get the desired effect?

Monday, November 16, 2009 5:22 PM
  • It seems that the settings are correct. To help us determine if the driver is the root cause, you can try rolling back the driver as a test. Sometimes, there is compatibility issues within the latest driver.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:51 AM
  • Well, we updated her drivers and rolled back mine, and the situation stayed the same, I even tried updating my drivers even further, from nvdidia's webpage instead of HP's.
    It seems then, that the drivers may not be causing the issue.

Forgot to mention, this might be a more serious issue for others; I tried extending the desktops with the external monitor being the extended, and when I closed the lid
    the external once again acted as the primary monitor, turning the extended desktop into the main desktop. This reverted when I opened the lid again.
    Now, I know a lot of people operate with permanently extended desktops, and I can only imagine the annoyance of having the desktops switched around
    everytime one closes and opens the lid.

Let me just sum up my initial problem to make it clearer.
    Let's say I putting on a movie on the laptop, the movie now runs on both laptop- and external-screen. When I close the lid the picture disappears for a few seconds (sound
    may continue without interruption sometimes) on the external and then the movie may continue to run correctly. I say may, because if I use VLC or gomplayer, for instance, the movie will continue in 1366x768 even though the external monitor's native resolution is 1920x1280, causing full screen problems. 
    If I use mediaplayer classic or bsplayer the fullscreen problem does not occur, but I still have the annoying black screen pause whenever the primary changes primary
    (every time I open/close the lid).

I just don't see why the secondary monitor should have to become the primary upon closing the laptop, and if so, there should at least be an option to ovveride it.
    Mysterious...

Anyways, do you think there could be something else causing this?

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:07 PM
  • Hi Boenmellion,

I agree with you that the issue may not cause by driver. Since NVIDIA (I’ve noticed that you have NVIDIA GeForce 8200M display card) has its own display control program named “NVIDIA Control Panel”.  I think you should check the related settings first.

1.       In Windows 7 Control Panel -> [Your power plan] -> Advanced settings, please make sure “Do nothing” was selected for both On battery and Plugged in under “Lid close action”

2.       In NVIDIA Control Panel -> Display -> Set up multiple displays, please make sure your monitors were set as your expect. E.g. Right click the laptop monitor icon and chose “Clone [your monitor name] and Laptop display”, monitors will be identified as Primary Display and shows as 1a,1b.

I have a laptop with NVIDIA GeForce 8400M and do not have this type of issue according to above config.

Thursday, November 19, 2009 1:55 AM
  • 1. This is a standard setup for me, and one of the first settings I configure with new laptops. So, it is done.
    2. I have tried fiddling around here and the only thing that is weird is that the laptop chooses external as 1a, yet it puts laptop monitor as 1b AND primary.
    I would not say that was a natural choice, but it is still correct and nothing I am able to change, it has just decided that the external monitor is 1a. 
    If I close the lid so that the external monitor becomes primary and check nvidia control panel it has switched to showing only one monitor, namely the external.
    I'm out of ideas.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 1:06 PM
    I'm out of ideas.

Hi,

I’ve double check it on my laptop and  find:
    1. My external monitor is 1a and my laptop monitor is 1b, they were set as Duplicate.
    2. If I close the lid, the external monitor did not show any freeze or change the resolution. When I check the settings in NVIDIA control panel, they were still show as 1a and 1b.
    3. There is no change when I open the lid.

Since your external monitor show as the only monitor when you close the lid, I believe there is a setting that you missed which will turn off the laptop monitor when you close the lid, have you check the settings in your BIOS? (maybe it’s under Power Management or Advanced Settings) or any HP customized Power Management program were installed?

From HP support center, I try to search it from “Compaq Presario CQ60 Notebook PC and HP G60 Notebook PC - Maintenance and Service Guide” pdf file, but to no avail.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=uk&product=3822918&lang=en&

In this situation, I suggest you contact HP support to confirm the related settings. It’s would be a bother to test all the related options by yourself. 
    http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

Good Luck!

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 1:53 AM
  • Hi, I am having this same problem also. Except I have an ACER laptop with ATI graphics. There is no setting in the BIOS that relates to screen disabling and I do not have any HP or ACER power management software installed. I used to use windows XP and in it, there was no issue of the primary screen changing.

Hopefully this video will help explain. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ygNHbqI2g
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 3:52 PM
  • Just adding another user who's been experiencing this problem for a while as well on an HP 8510w (nVidia Quadro FX 570m) with Windows 7 64 bit and an HP LP2475w as my extended display. Closing the lid blanks the screens then makes the external primary, opening the lid switches back. Under XP my extended display would continue uninterrupted. Saw this thread a while ago but haven't come across any similar ones since, has anyone else?

edit: Here are some similar threads, http://superuser.com/questions/88548/prevent-monitor-switching-when-closing-laptop-lid , http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/32179-dual-screen-problem-closing-laptop-lid-moves-everything-external-monitor.html , http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=30798
    • Edited by rhy7s Saturday, January 30, 2010 12:34 PM Fix links
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 12:25 PM
  • Well, my situation has got worse; now I don't even have to close the lid for the  primary switch to happen, now it switches immidiately after I plug in the hdmi...
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 6:07 PM
  • Clearly user error - whatever Windows "suggests" as the preferred behavior is obviously correct.

Trying to fight against whatever the OS does is just frustrating.

I have learned to live with the constant desktop changes - it is a royal PITA - but what can I do?

Actually, my remedy is to not close the lid... <sigh>

Windows - a PITA since 1995
    Monday, February 22, 2010 2:08 PM
  • I was looking for the same and finally I found the solution.

I have Windows 7 with Nvidia video and it works:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-and-U-series-Laptops/Y530-External-display-and-lid-closed/m-p/216258

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 5:34 AM
  • Thanks nanooo, that's working for me.
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 10:25 PM
  • That solution is not working for me. I added the keys HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\GUID_assigned_to_your_nvidia_card\0000\LidAlwaysOpen = 1 and also tried HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\GUID_assigned_to_your_nvidia_card\0001\LidAlwaysOpen = 1 and rebooted, nothing changed.

Dell Vostro + Nvidia 8600M + Windows XP SP3

I didn't have this problem before I reinstalled windows, so it can't be a BIOS problem. I installed from the very same CD as before, with the same drivers, settings and software suites (afaik) and the only thing that I can think of that has changed is the video driver, which I had to update for a certain game (and which, ironically, was the initial cause that I had to reinstall windows, because after I updated the driver windows crashed for good)

This problem is even worse for me, because whenever the desktop moves to the external monitor (which has a lower resolution) and switches back, all maximized windows will be stuck at a smaller size until I restore and re-maximize them all. Even worse, because I always use the task bar on the side of my screen, the task bar will be as big as 2/5rd of my screen when opening the lid. I cannot even safely go to bed when leaving my laptop on and the lid closed.

• Edited by zomb1986 Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:05 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:59 PM