Mass Change Permissions for Several User Directory Home Folders %username% RRS feed

• Question

• I goofed today with permissons and sripped several users (500+) from their home directories. My home directories are named with the users username. Is there a way to give them full control again of the Home directory and all of its subdirectories and files? I also need to include domain\Administrators to have full control. 
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 7:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I think this could be resolved by script such as VBS, but I cannot provide a complete script solution.

Because each folder name matches the %username%, we should able to give permission to oFolder.Name.

You could try to post the question to Script Guys forum to see if anyone could provide a solution:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/ITCG/threads

Another thought I got is to move all affected folders to another place so that users will create new folders with correct permissions. Then copy files back without copying the permission.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:14 AM
  • Thanks. I'll try that next time. I removed all the directories and recreated them from my domain controller through AD. It's  a one click process by selecting all users and setting their home directory path to filepath\%username%. I have a backup so if users really want their files I'll restore them on a per user basis. These were student directories and it's the beginning of the year so what they had on there they probably forgot about anyway.  
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:19 AM

All replies

• Hi

Use this link :http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555046

Good Luck

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:35 AM
  • Hi,

I think this could be resolved by script such as VBS, but I cannot provide a complete script solution.

Because each folder name matches the %username%, we should able to give permission to oFolder.Name.

You could try to post the question to Script Guys forum to see if anyone could provide a solution:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/ITCG/threads

Another thought I got is to move all affected folders to another place so that users will create new folders with correct permissions. Then copy files back without copying the permission.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:14 AM
  • Thanks. I'll try that next time. I removed all the directories and recreated them from my domain controller through AD. It's  a one click process by selecting all users and setting their home directory path to filepath\%username%. I have a backup so if users really want their files I'll restore them on a per user basis. These were student directories and it's the beginning of the year so what they had on there they probably forgot about anyway.  
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:19 AM