none
Do I need to reinstall all my added programs after I install Windows 7 on 10/22?

Question

• I had installed the W7 RDC and had installed some programs, when I get on 10/22 the oficial and complete W7, do I need to reinstall all of my prorgrams or W7 will overwrite the the RDC and I won't need to reinstall everything?

.... so far the RDC is been working okay, my PC slowed down a few days ago when in the task manager I noticed a lot of CPU use (50%-100%) consistenly and I was looking for answers and I found that the searchfilterhost.exe was using it, and it kept going so it drove crazy and re-installed the RDC and now is gone, but do you guys know why the mentioned file was working like crazy and not doing nothin only using my CPU, I was afraid my CPU will ruin.

Any comments, suggestions are really well appreciated!
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 10:51 PM

Answers

• To answer your 1st question, you should do a backup of your data files. You will need to do a "clean install", reinstall all of your applications and restore your data files. You cannot upgrade over the RC beta.
    • Marked as answer by skaterVXXIII Monday, October 12, 2009 5:43 AM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 12:19 AM
  • Hi Skater

It is highly recommended that you do not upgrade from the RC (Release Candidate) version of Windows 7. The RC was the last beta vesion released and upgrading can move a lot of the beta code, and bugs from that version. Upgrading from the RC is not officially supported.

Your best option is to reinstall your previous version of Windows, perform the upgrade, and then reinstall your programs. This will give you the best experience.

Here are some links that will help you decide.

Can I do an In-Place upgrade from Windows 7 Release Candidate To Release Code?

How to upgrade from Windows 7 RC to a release version of Windows 7

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Monday, October 12, 2009 12:24 AM
  • You cannot upgrade over the RC beta.

As has been mentioned, it's actually incorrect to state definitely that you "cannot" upgrade over the RC install.   A rather simple edit to the install disk ISO image before burning it allows the upgrade install to proceed.  It's actually interesting that Microsoft have included details of the procedure in their knowledge base databank, because the inclusion indicates that they see no licensing legitimacy concerns about people editing the install disk image in this fashion!

During the first 'cheap upgrade' special promotional offer it was even revealed on the Microsoft Store website that an Upgrade version of windows 7 would accept the Release Candidate install as a 'valid qualifying product' for the purposes of conducting the installation.

skaterVXXIII, you might like to also read these topics:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/a7e52555-4673-476f-beb1-e58e3bfd95e6
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/911d5bf9-e29f-43c3-a850-1753fbeefd4c

In the first of those is an explanation of how the upgrade install works, in general.  You'll see that my comments have been endorsed as correct.

In the second of those topics I've explored the specific question of upgrading the RC install, and asked for a technical explanation of why the 'recommendation' to clean install is necessarily needed.  No such answer was forthcoming, because logically there isn't one.  If your Release Candidate installation is in good shape with no 'incompatible' software installed then the end result of an upgrade install should by rights be just as stabloe and reliable.  (Don't forget that viruses and other malware is also 'incompatible installed software'.  An upgrade install isn't ever suitable for correcting a malware intrusion, under any circumstances, because that malware (or parts of it) is necessarily 'installed software' which will be carried across to the new install alongs with other programs, data etc.

It's your call, of course.  I'm just trying to balance the factual information out, rather than trying to convince you one way or another.

Microsoft rightfully doesn't provide 'support' for an upgrade of the RC install.  That's only fair, because the RC was provided to people in accompaniment with a warning that it wasn't suitable for use in a 'live' environment.  As far as I can see eliminating the nuisance of related support requests is about the only genuine reason for the recommendation that people don'yt upgrade install over it.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 3:55 AM

All replies

• To answer your 1st question, you should do a backup of your data files. You will need to do a "clean install", reinstall all of your applications and restore your data files. You cannot upgrade over the RC beta.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 12:19 AM
  • Hi Skater

It is highly recommended that you do not upgrade from the RC (Release Candidate) version of Windows 7. The RC was the last beta vesion released and upgrading can move a lot of the beta code, and bugs from that version. Upgrading from the RC is not officially supported.

Your best option is to reinstall your previous version of Windows, perform the upgrade, and then reinstall your programs. This will give you the best experience.

Here are some links that will help you decide.

Can I do an In-Place upgrade from Windows 7 Release Candidate To Release Code?

How to upgrade from Windows 7 RC to a release version of Windows 7

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Monday, October 12, 2009 12:24 AM
  • You cannot upgrade over the RC beta.

As has been mentioned, it's actually incorrect to state definitely that you "cannot" upgrade over the RC install.   A rather simple edit to the install disk ISO image before burning it allows the upgrade install to proceed.  It's actually interesting that Microsoft have included details of the procedure in their knowledge base databank, because the inclusion indicates that they see no licensing legitimacy concerns about people editing the install disk image in this fashion!

During the first 'cheap upgrade' special promotional offer it was even revealed on the Microsoft Store website that an Upgrade version of windows 7 would accept the Release Candidate install as a 'valid qualifying product' for the purposes of conducting the installation.

skaterVXXIII, you might like to also read these topics:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/a7e52555-4673-476f-beb1-e58e3bfd95e6
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/911d5bf9-e29f-43c3-a850-1753fbeefd4c

In the first of those is an explanation of how the upgrade install works, in general.  You'll see that my comments have been endorsed as correct.

In the second of those topics I've explored the specific question of upgrading the RC install, and asked for a technical explanation of why the 'recommendation' to clean install is necessarily needed.  No such answer was forthcoming, because logically there isn't one.  If your Release Candidate installation is in good shape with no 'incompatible' software installed then the end result of an upgrade install should by rights be just as stabloe and reliable.  (Don't forget that viruses and other malware is also 'incompatible installed software'.  An upgrade install isn't ever suitable for correcting a malware intrusion, under any circumstances, because that malware (or parts of it) is necessarily 'installed software' which will be carried across to the new install alongs with other programs, data etc.

It's your call, of course.  I'm just trying to balance the factual information out, rather than trying to convince you one way or another.

Microsoft rightfully doesn't provide 'support' for an upgrade of the RC install.  That's only fair, because the RC was provided to people in accompaniment with a warning that it wasn't suitable for use in a 'live' environment.  As far as I can see eliminating the nuisance of related support requests is about the only genuine reason for the recommendation that people don'yt upgrade install over it.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 3:55 AM
  • Thanks so much for the kind replies, I am going to do a clean install of W7, I like the right to the precise answer I am looking for from Ronnie Vernon, I had always had this mind, the RDC as well others programs to be released, they are just Beta apps, and the programmers are still working or polishing the official and complete release, so it's like a game demo from your favorite game (if you play games), is just a tester, but it still can carry a lot of bugs.

Thanks Ronnie!

Best Regards!
    Monday, October 12, 2009 5:47 AM
  • As we are going to do a Clean Install, backup and transfer files may be needed. Windows Easy Transfer can help us do this.

Monday, October 12, 2009 8:13 AM