none
Windows 7 does not boot

Question

• I just installed windows XP 32-bit last night so I could download Windows 7 ISO. I put the windows 7 ISO on a DVD and tried to boot it. It is not recognized. I tried Windows 7 .IMG, DVD, it is  also not recognized. I tried to place all the raw files on a DVD, still not recognized. I tried to install straight from the exe while XP was loaded. "not a recognizable WIN32 format."

I put the windows XP boot DVD in, the XP boot IS recognized. I am currently reformating my harddrive to see if I can start fresh and install Windows 7 ISO. With windows xp I can not get the windows 7 ISO to read. What am I doing wrong?
    Friday, August 14, 2009 8:50 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Please be assured that you burn the Windows 7 ISO to the DVD as a bootable disk instead of copy the whole ISO file to the disk directly.

Re-download Windows 7 setup media through the following hyperlink directly Get Windows 7: Windows 7 RC and burn it to DVD; thanks for your time and understanding!

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, August 18, 2009 10:45 AM
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 7:53 AM

All replies

• What application are you using to burn the ISO ?  If you have not got access to a commercial burning app (Nero for example), then try DVDBURN.EXE which is free, and from the Microsoft Server 2003 Resource Kit - http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

Note: if you just copy the files to the DVD, it will not boot for sure.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 9:06 PM
  • I burned the ISO with Nero at 4x and I burned it as a DATA disc.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 9:22 PM
  • In Nero, are you chosing Recorder, Burn Image and then selecting the ISO file from a local drive/folder ?  If that is failing for you, then I suggest you download another copy.  May I ask where you are downloading it from ?
    Friday, August 14, 2009 9:26 PM
  • I have Nero SmartStart.. I don't know if there are different versions out there or weather this is the current version. But what I do is I open Nero and there are options such as Favorite > Data Disc > Copy Disc > etc. I have been going to Data Disc, after selecting, it pops up a new window where you can add files to the list for burning and I burn it from there. I can't seem to find the option Recorder, Burn Image.

I downloaded the ISO straight from microsoft.com.

Friday, August 14, 2009 9:42 PM
  • Never used SmartStart....I just go straight into Nero Burning ROM direct. 

So, I went into Smartstart for you and want to ensure you are doing the same:
    1. Click the Rip & burn tab at the top and then select Burn Data disk. This will launch Nero Express
    2. select Image, Project, Copy and then Disk Image or Saved Project
    3. Browse to the location of your ISO, select it and click open
    4. click Burn after putting a blank DVD in the drive.

Friday, August 14, 2009 9:49 PM
  • Okay with further exploring I found an option for the Data disc and I was a able to choose burn as a bootable Data disc. I am going to try this one.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 9:54 PM
  • The ISO is already bootable...you just have to burn the image. If you can use Nero Burning ROM, just select Recorder, Burn Image and then selecting the ISO file from a local drive/folder and click Burn. That's it.  
    Friday, August 14, 2009 10:11 PM
  • Hi Htdog,

i extremely recommend you download Active Iso burner which was indicated by Microsoft when i first downloaded Windowa 7 beta,it doesnt need any installation so you just need to click to open it and then browse in your folders where the iso file is select and click burn ,its easy and fast!!
    Hope this helps!
    Kind regards,
    RR
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 1:31 AM
  • Thank you Kat!! After 4 burned cds from Nero, none of them worked, but I am now successfully installing windows 7 atfer using ACTIVE ISO!! WOOHOO!!!

Lesson learned.. ---->DO NOT USE NERO TO BURN THE WINDOWS 7 ISO<---

Saturday, August 15, 2009 7:47 AM
  • Hello,

Please be assured that you burn the Windows 7 ISO to the DVD as a bootable disk instead of copy the whole ISO file to the disk directly.

Re-download Windows 7 setup media through the following hyperlink directly Get Windows 7: Windows 7 RC and burn it to DVD; thanks for your time and understanding!

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, August 18, 2009 10:45 AM
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 7:53 AM
  • Thank you Kat!! After 4 burned cds from Nero, none of them worked, but I am now successfully installing windows 7 atfer using ACTIVE ISO!! WOOHOO!!!

Lesson learned.. ---->DO NOT USE NERO TO BURN THE WINDOWS 7 ISO<---

Hi htdog :D,
    Feel happy for ya and enjoy windows 7 i bet you will love it just like me ^^
    Kind regards,
    RR

PS: Active iso IMO is the best one for iso image burner,no instalation is needed and its fast and easy!!
    Please Dont forget to mark as answered this thread,apreciate
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 4:42 PM