driver problems with Gigabyte X38-DQ6 on Win7 64bit (ok in VistaSP1 64bit) RRS feed

• Question

• Bug report
    (not sure where else to report since feedback link in Win7 tries to report to a closed group on connect.microsoft.com) which is unavail to MSDN/Technet subscribers.

hardware
     Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 motherboard, Q6600 with X38 chipset  - specs see
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2665
    1st DVD Drive LG GGC-H20L Bluray/HDDVD drive
    2nd DVD Asus DRW-1814BLT ATA Device

software
    runing Vista SP1 64bit upgraded from Burned CDROM to Win7 64bit - upgraded successfully

problems
    after installing Win7 none of the DVD drives no longer appear under my computer, under Device manager three are displayed with yellow warning marks,

under DVD/Cdrom in device manager

asus drw-1814blt ata device
    FVX-INC CDDVD-2003-200X Scsi cdrom device
    HL-DT-ST BDDVDR  LG GGC-H20L Bluray/HDDVD drives

error:

Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)

expected result
    Win7 should have recognized a vaild 64bit signed driver from Vista during the upgrade and used this driver .. or if some reason it couldn't use this driver, a generic Win7 driver should be included so that standard SATA DVD drive will work.

steps taken
    attempted to uninstall/reinstall 64bit Vista driver from vendor website  same results.

2nd issue

under other devices
    SMC Bus controller

error no valid driver avail...  there was a valid Vista64sp1 driver installed when the upgrade was done

please advise...

kevin forsythe
    Friday, January 9, 2009 8:13 AM

Answers

• I found the solution to my problem - to recap

problems
    after upgrading from VistaSP1 (x64) to Win7 x64 my  DVD drives no longer appear under my computer, under Device manager three are displayed with yellow warning marks, (not able to access DVD drives at all) and an error that windows couldn't verify the digital signature (code 52)

Resolution

I like to watch DVD/Bluray movies directly from my Hard drive..  (think Digital Jukebox) so under Vista I had installed AnyDVD from slysoft.com  which adds a filter driver to remove CSS & BD+ Copy Protection to allow me to watch the movies I purchased on my PC (footnote: This is LEGAL per the U.S. Govt making an exception to DMCA  to comply with a WTO International Court Decision ...for more info on this see  http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/12/21/business/wto.php 

anyway, simply removing AnyDVD & rebooting didn't resolve the issue,  so I found a MSFT KB on upperFilter getting corrupted  make the following Registry key change on Win7

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

after doing this Rebooting, the DVD drives now showed up & I was able to Reinstall AnyDVD..

Regarding the 2nd part of my question SMC Bus, yellow ! under device manager

thanks 007tda for the solution :-)

I downloaded the SMC bus driver from Gigabyte motherboard website.. had to click on "run as admin" and check run under "Vista compadability mode" it installed ok and all my problems are resolve :)

kevin forsythe
    • Marked as answer by kevinfor Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:41 AM
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:40 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately I've heard this error has happened a few times - although not optimal, try hitting [F8] on boot up and 'Disable Driver Signing Enforcement' and see if that helps.

For some reason, it seems to be convinced the drivers are unsigned.

http://blog.tiensivu.com/aaron/ - https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Aaron.Tiensivu
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:40 AM
    Answerer
  • I have a GA-X38-DS4 board and saw the SMC bus problem with my 64bit install.  I went to run the intel infupdate for the board to see if it would work and it of cource said this os was not supported, so I let windows 7 change the compatability for the setep file and ras as vista.  It seemed to complete just fine and now the SMC Bus Controler is happy.  I havent done much testing just got it to work five minutes ago.

Thomas
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 2:52 AM
  • I found the solution to my problem - to recap

problems
    after upgrading from VistaSP1 (x64) to Win7 x64 my  DVD drives no longer appear under my computer, under Device manager three are displayed with yellow warning marks, (not able to access DVD drives at all) and an error that windows couldn't verify the digital signature (code 52)

Resolution

I like to watch DVD/Bluray movies directly from my Hard drive..  (think Digital Jukebox) so under Vista I had installed AnyDVD from slysoft.com  which adds a filter driver to remove CSS & BD+ Copy Protection to allow me to watch the movies I purchased on my PC (footnote: This is LEGAL per the U.S. Govt making an exception to DMCA  to comply with a WTO International Court Decision ...for more info on this see  http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/12/21/business/wto.php 

anyway, simply removing AnyDVD & rebooting didn't resolve the issue,  so I found a MSFT KB on upperFilter getting corrupted  make the following Registry key change on Win7

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

after doing this Rebooting, the DVD drives now showed up & I was able to Reinstall AnyDVD..

Regarding the 2nd part of my question SMC Bus, yellow ! under device manager

thanks 007tda for the solution :-)

I downloaded the SMC bus driver from Gigabyte motherboard website.. had to click on "run as admin" and check run under "Vista compadability mode" it installed ok and all my problems are resolve :)

kevin forsythe
    • Marked as answer by kevinfor Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:41 AM
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:40 AM
  • I tried this registry change.  I have the same LG Blu-ray drive and got the same error message.
    Still can't get the drive recognized.

Jon
    Friday, January 16, 2009 1:53 PM