none
VPN on Virtual XP mode

Question

• I have Windows 7 on a laptop with Windows XP within VirtualPC2007. I am creating a VPN tunnel from within XP using Cisco VPN client to my corporate network which runs Cisco VPN Concentrator. XP is working fine. But I am looking for ways to use the VPN tunnel inside my Virtual XP machine to be made available to my Windows 7 host machine.
    Reason for this is because I dont have Windows 7 based ZoneAlarms Client/Cisco Client for intranet VPN connectivity. Any ideas ?
    Thanks
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 12:07 PM

Answers

• This is really not possible unless your VPN software allows usage of the loopback adapter.  Most commercial solutions do not, because this is simply a "legitimate" way of bypassing VPN-based client control, which many companies do not want.

My company uses a VPN solution that has still not developed a 64-bit client.  To run Windows 7 x64, I simply publish my VPN, Remote Desktop Connection, and other needed apps up to the host OS.

Though it takes a bit of getting used to, this solution has worked out great.  It also has some advantages. (I can, for example, run two Internet Explorers to test how sites appear inside and outside of the corporate network).

I tried going down the road you are attempting for over a year with Vista x64 and VPC 2007.  The XP Mode solution has been a best of both world approach for me.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 10:16 PM

All replies

• What exactly do you mean by making the VPN tunnel available inside your Windows 7 host? Do you want to run programs or transfer files? The whole point of using a virtual machine is to isolate it from the host.
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 5:22 PM
  • This is really not possible unless your VPN software allows usage of the loopback adapter.  Most commercial solutions do not, because this is simply a "legitimate" way of bypassing VPN-based client control, which many companies do not want.

My company uses a VPN solution that has still not developed a 64-bit client.  To run Windows 7 x64, I simply publish my VPN, Remote Desktop Connection, and other needed apps up to the host OS.

Though it takes a bit of getting used to, this solution has worked out great.  It also has some advantages. (I can, for example, run two Internet Explorers to test how sites appear inside and outside of the corporate network).

I tried going down the road you are attempting for over a year with Vista x64 and VPC 2007.  The XP Mode solution has been a best of both world approach for me.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 10:16 PM
  • Setup Virtual XP to work in a bridged Network mode in Virtual PC to get a normal IP:adress from your DHCP and it should work fine. In standard settings you get an 10.xx.xx.xx adress for the Virtual XP and you will end up with error 619 as the port closes instantly.
    • Proposed as answer by Sacreed Wednesday, May 27, 2009 12:34 PM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 12:33 PM
  • This may or may not be helpful, but I have found that if I open a VPN tunnel within Windows 7/64, the tunnel is automatically available within the Virtual XP machine.  In other words, maybe you are attacking the problem (opening tunnel in virtual machine and wanting it accessible by host machine) backwards?

My IPSec VPN client is from http://www.thegreenbow.com
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 4:20 PM
  • I know the if i setup the VPN as standard connection on the host everything inclusive the VM will go through it but choose to setup my way as I want to stream Video to internet and to be able to get access through Remote desktop directly but still have an easy way to "hide" banking and torrent-traffic etc without disturbing videostreams, and I find my solution quite neat as my VPN /proxy is only oneway ( dont wanna pay extra for twoway ). And for those that wanna know I use the builtin VPN-solution in XP as it works well for me.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:43 PM