none
Windows automatic update deleted ALL of my files.

Question

•  

Including 60 gigs of music, pictures, documents, years upon years of college work. This is total *********.

I tried a system restore but it had no effect.

When I log in to my account it takes me into a temporary profile and says there was a 'log in error'.

Can anyone help? I'd really rather not start from scratch. Especially when one of the assignments I lost is due in this week.

********** windows.

Sunday, November 16, 2008 5:39 PM

All replies

• My computer did the same thing just now! I sat down at the computer and relogged in thinking it was just another update. All my files are wiped clean! Even my internet was out. I managed to system restore to the last save point which was 2 days ago and everything is intact.

I have no idea why this happened but now I'm afraid all my files will vanish again. I have no way of backing them up until tomorrow.

Try restoring again and if the files are back wait until you can save all your files somewhere before using the computer. I'm sorry I wish I could be more helpful but I'm just as confused.
    Monday, November 17, 2008 8:17 AM
  • What [hard] evidence do you guys have that Windows Update deleted your files?
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 3:40 AM
  • Each time windows installed 6 critical updates my files were gone this happened twice. I system restored and it showed "6 critical updates" I let it do it then it deleted my files.

Then another time about 4 days ago it showed 6 critical updates this was before the previous deletion. I went ahead and did it then my explorer had an appcrash (I'm not so savvy with the phrasing since I'm still learning more about technical terms)
    explorer then repeatedly did a "trying to fix problem, restarting" in a loop. I had to go and change the settings to allow it to not reset so I could try and figure out what was wrong. Turns out it was a file in the system folder. I managed to update it using a website and it worked, UNTIL I allowed those 6 critical updates! So I restored again and haven't allowed my vista to update since.

Each time I've had a problem its been after installing the 6 critical updates.
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 4:54 AM
  • Vista has done the same thing to me.  For me it keeps deleting all recently added files and folders.  Everytime I restart my computer, all my desktop icons are deleted and all my files inside the documents folder are deleted.  Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 1:13 AM
  • Anyone have a fix about this yet?

I still haven't updated my computer. Now my WMP keeps stopping after awhile then shuts off.
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 4:27 AM
  • How about the face that before the update all my files were there and after the update, everything wasn't there any more, my background had changed back to the default one, all the stuff in my gadget bar had been taken away and replaced with default gadgets, oh and all of my music and pictures and everything was gone. Is that evidence that the update did it? seeing as how everything was there one minute, the update ran, and then everything was gone??
    Friday, November 27, 2009 5:21 AM
  • I clicked on system restore, but it says it will not bring back photos or documents or stuff like that.
    Friday, November 27, 2009 5:36 AM
  • In my case Windows 7 did not delete the files, but for some reason moved them into a hidden system folder.
    Enable hidden files and folder and then go to your D: drive (or whatever drive you originally stored the files on before the update) and look for a folder called $INPLACE.~TR . This is a hidden file that on my machine contained all of the files from this drive. I too thought all of my stuff was gone, but inside this folder you will find the structure like so: $INPLACE.~TR-> Machine-> DATA-> Your Files .
    Hope this helps.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:16 PM
  • I have also experienced same/similar problem.
    <<However, since I expereienced a similar exasperating & aggravating experience few years back with automatic WIN updates totally screwing up just about everything on the PC- I CURRENTLY DON'T have auto updates confgured w/ permission to install-only to "download & advise".
            {THe previous issue was eventually determined to be a glitch w/ a particular MS WIN update(S) and particular models of HP computers (apparently HP couldn't  be bothered to advise affected registered owners of the issue beforehand & nothing was posted via MS site at that time- (later that changed)--& found since they were fully aware of the issue- they had devised a download u had to download from THEIR website FIRST- before the Windows update was installed to avoid losing most functionality of the computer. Once was enough for me for that experience !! (since our home PC also has most of my husband's Business files/records on it also, but his diligence in running backup leaves a little to be desired-it was a nightmare!) }

I am currently running WIN VISTA Home Premium (64 bit) SP1 on a DELL Studio XPS, w/ Intel i7 920 CPU,2.6 GHZ, 4 MB RAM, all applications & VISTA updated (except SP2 not installed***see note) MY WINDOWS EXPERIENCE base score and subscore are both 5.9. All other windows updates installed & confirmed.

HOWEVER, every time I trigger the installation of a WINDOWS update, the next morning my husband is growing and cursing  because the fax function has ceased to work--again. The fax driver gets dropped every time.

We are using a LEXMARK ALL IN ONE Printer/fax/scanner Model X6570 (verified Vista compatible-using the wired communications-tho' it is wireless capable).
    FAX Driver has been re- downloaded several times now & confirm all functions of LEXMARK work correctly. Never any issues, UNTIL  I trigger the WIN update install in the evening & go to bed .
    We recently noticed the relationship between the 2 events. Printing and basic scan to copy functions seem to be unafftected.
    I advised LEXMARK of the re-occuring issue & requested info on update or fix if available from them but have rec'd NO response from them other than an
    knowledgement of receipt of my email request.

{My soap box :) > ***WIN SP 2 not installed because the Instructions for SP2 identify the ownlaod pakg K948465 a the"pre-release" download (which must subsequently be removed prior to installing the full version of SP2). The Pre-release version K948465 has been triggerred to install numerous times -HOWEVER- install fails but no reason or code is provided just shows "cancelled" I guess it cancelled itself? (which apparently is fine since it would have to be removed anyway)
    The SP2 "full version" I would assume does NOT have the same pkg identifier (i.e K948465)- but has NOT shown up in my WIN auto update notifications-when I went to MS site to review info for the install there were just WAY to many potential problems, loss of data scenarios, fixes needed -depending on what goes wrong, work around & hot fixes possibly needed- potentially entailing HOURS of additional post installation work- and possible interim inability to use applications needed for business &uncertainty of WHAT functions &/or data might be lost--TOO MUCH additional time necessitated to rectify all problem issues (and the list of possible problem issues IS L-O-N-G!!) after the issues of the install were successfully tackled. So far Dell web site doesnt identify any issues or fixes needed for SP2 from their end, (but then there aren't nearly as many units with this processor/config in general population use as most all their other products, since processor wasn't avail till late in yr & w/ no promotion-not so many aware avail & specs). When MS can assure me the SP2 update will only take hr or less to download (downloads showing est 30-40 min time needed install in 5-10 min tops-if that on this i7) & restart PC & NO sluething for solutions and further maintenence will be needed-or other verification that install DOESN'T create a myriad of issues on this PC-then I'll install it. Or if I have a couple of days w/ absolutely nothing else to do & no business transaactions need recording, maybe. I'm in process of checking for possible individual pkg update for Hi security issues that are not likely to cause other havoc-outside the fax driver issue to possibly install individually.]
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 6:15 AM
  • Are u that dumb that person said...before update there were all the files and after update its gone...looks like you are a technically challenge person if you don't understand simple thing.

I just got critical update and it has changed my background files, removed my all music and picture files and for your information it removed GOOGLE CHROME from my computer with regedit entry. It cause of update.

• Proposed as answer by JACK Z. BAKK Thursday, August 05, 2010 3:19 PM
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010 1:23 AM
  • OK, WE ALL AGREE U PEOPLE ARE SPUN..FRIST..IF DELETED, GET A UNDELE PROGRAM, IT HAS TO BE THERE..FIXED.. NOW THERE, HIDEING, SENT TO CYCBER SPACE..?  MAYBE, OR SOFTWARE REMOVED, WHEN UPGRADE FINISHED.  FILES MISSING, LOL, ALL THE TIME.  SOFTWARE CONFLICT PROBLEM, TOO MANY THINGS STARTED ON STARTUP, TOO MANYTHINGS RUNNING IN BACKGROUND U DONNOT NEED.  LIST GOES ON.  1. SHUT DOWN VISTA IT SELF, TAKES UP70% OF MEMOREY, OFF THE TOP, OF 3 GIGS OR LESS, SLOWER COMPS.  EASY DONE, NO MIORE MOTHER MAY I, IT DOESNOT SHOWUP, HAVE A CLASSIC VIEW, PEOPLE WONDER WHY IT IT SO FAST SMOKES, MOST THINK IT IS XP PRO..  WHEN U REMOVED ALL THAT BURDEN OF UNNESSARY RUNNING OR NOT, IT IS. CANT SEE IT, YET IT IS.. SHUT IT DOWN, IN SYSTEM FIG. AND IN 3 OTHERE SPOTS. DELETE FROM REG. STARTUP. MAKE IT A OPTION TO START ONLY WHEN IT IS REQURIED, MANUALLY TURNED ON.  END OF STORY..   ONCE I CLEANED UP NOT ONLY MY SYS, MY SIS IN LAW, OTHER ONE TOO, SISTER, AND FRIENDS, NONE OF US LOSE FILES ETC.  YET WE STILL HAVE A FEW OFF THE BUGS, SMALL THOUGH, 2 WHAT U HAVE, I DONT FREEZE UP, I RAREY IF EVERY SHUTDOWN...SOFTWARE ON ANY OF MY OPERATING SYSTEMS FROM THE FRIST WIN, THEN 95, 98, XP, NOW VISTA, I DID THIS TO THEM ALL, VERYFEW FREEZE UP, SOFTWARE, OR OTHERWIZE...LAST RESORT, GET NORTON 360? FRESH INSTALL, U HAVE A BUGG. OK SENDING OUT. SHUTING OFF, SEC. PARTS OF UPGRADES, JUST MESSING WITH SYS.  IT IS OUT THERE, URE FILES IT NOT HAS,GETTING VIEWED BY OTHER, OR AS MOST KIDS DO, ITS A JOKE, SO SMILE. LEARN, CLEANUP YOUR HOUSE{VISA} 64 BIT,  U WILL NOT HAVE THESE PROBLEMS, MY 64 BIT SYS, IF COULD TALK, SAYS THANKS, I CAN RUN FOR EVER, RARLY NOW SHUT IT DOWN, UPGRADE 1 A MONTH, CHOOSE WHAT TO INSTALL, REALLY ONLY SEC UPGRADES TO MY MACHINE ONLY, REST, NOTTTT. AND ONLY 1 AT A TIME NOT 20, IF A PROBLEM OCCERS, I KNOW WHO, WHAT , WHEN IT HAPPENED, WHICH SOFTWARE WAS ON, THERE IS MY PROBLEM, FIXED...AND I HAVE HAVE TONS OF SOFTWARE,  A350 GIG HD, RUNNING A VISTA PREM. 64 BIT WORKS WITH NOTHING THEY SAY..TOSHIBA,SATELLITE A INTEL*CORE"2 DUO PROCESSOR T5800...2000MZ+ EACH BELEIVE 1600 BUZZ, LOL  4 GIGS  800MHZ MEM, AND IT SHOWS AS 4 GIG IN COMP. NOT 3.80 OR ETC, BUT AS 4 AND I RUN 2 MORE EXTERNAL HAREDRIVES OF 500 MBITS, MAGIC JACK, 1 OTHER WIRELESS NETGEAR USB.  BESIDES THE INTERAL., EXTERNAL LCD'S AND MORE...ATTACHED....SOUNDS, ECT..EXTER,,,22IN DELL, SEE, AND IT STILL SMOKES, AND IS RUNNING FINE.  JUST LIKE A CAR, HAVE TO DO THE UPKEEP ON THEM, FINE TUNE... I KNOW SPELLING, O WELL, LIST OF MY VISTA PROBLEMS, ALL SPELL ERRORS COME WITH A DEGREE..THATS A+ 3.67. JACK(RICH)  REMEBER WAHT U  AS THEN OWNER PUTS IN, ITS ACTIONS KICK OUT, OR OLD, EVERY REACTION, OPPISITTE ACTION, OTHER WAY, LIKE A KIDDD,,OUT OF HERE SEE YAA

Thursday, August 05, 2010 4:02 PM
  • maybe it has to do with the fact that the computer is fine before you do a windows update, and then you turn it on the next day, and everything is gonee
    Saturday, August 07, 2010 2:54 AM
  • All your music, pictures, documents, college work are still stored on the hard drive in your computer. They're just invisible or inaccessible. You can recover them with data recovery software.I used Tenorshare Data Recovery to recover lost files from may laptop before.It managed to get back my files.If needed,you can download it and scan your hard drive for free to check out whether your files can be recovered.Get it from http://www.any-data-recovery.com/product/datarecoverystandard.htm
    Monday, August 29, 2011 8:46 AM
  • I am having the exact same problem in Windows 7 Pro. I also have to reinstall everything that was installed within the last couple of weeks even though the files for the programs are still on my system drive. Turn off updates for now is all I can suggest. Although I will say this is the second time this happened to me in the last week and after the first time I changed windows update to prompt me before installing updates. I did not get a prompt and it went ahead with the install during shutdown. IF you can afford to not have a computer for a while not using it at all until this is resolved might be a better option.
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:46 PM
  • It brought all of mine back both times. In my opinion you would be ok to run restore anyway
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:48 PM
  • Nice. thanks for posting. I will keep this in mind if windows decides to get a will of its own again.
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:49 PM
  • This happen to 3 times, first time I thought it was me 12yr old messing around. The next time I saw the update thing pop up and let it do its thing. And bam!!! it was all gone, I had to apologize to my son.
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 6:15 PM