none
DCOM fails on Windows 7

Question

• I have a one-month-old Lenovo W500 running 64 bit Windows 7 Professional.  Things have been running smoothly until about two weeks ago. At that point, DCOM on the machine failed.  Since I do development that uses DCOM comonents, this is an unhappy state. 

When I ran DCOMCNFG after noting something wrong, I right-click on My Computer, select properties and get a "My Computer Properties" dialog with two tabs-COM Security and MSDTC.  Closing this dialog without taking any action and re-performing the right click gives me a normal appearing properties dialog.

Please note that I said "normal appearing" If I check the box to enable DCOM on the computer and select "Apply" MMC immediately crashes. No waiting. I have an entry in the Application event log that occurs close to these problems, but I'm not 100% it's related.  Text from the entry follows:

A method call to an object in a COM+ application was rejected because the caller is not properly authorized to make this call. The COM+ application is configured to use Application and Component level access checks, and enforcement of these checks is currently enabled. The remainder of this message provides information about the component method that the caller attempted to invoke and the identity of the caller.Svc/Lvl/Imp = 10/6/2,  Identity = DHICORP\blaineb

I've spent the last few weeks trying to find some method to fix this problem with no results. Is there a way to kick start DCOM short of <egad> wiping the drive and reinstalling?

Thursday, April 08, 2010 5:41 PM

Answers

• Have you tried using the SFC tool?  This is an app provided by Windows that checks to ensure all system files are where they should be and have the proper contents...

Open a command window and type the following, which is non-destructive:  SFC /VERIFYONLY
    If it does find something amiss, it will tell you about it, at which point you can consider using SFC /SCANNOW to effect a recovery.
    SFC /HELP will tell you all it can do.

Another thing I can think of is, in the pursuit of restoring operation, using the System Restore facility to revert the system state to a time just prior to the error showing up.  You may then want to do some of the things you've done in the past several weeks over again to see what (if anything) breaks DCOM.  The quickest way to start this is to click Start, then enter system restore into the search box, then click System Restore when it comes up.

Lastly, an in-place upgrade of Windows 7 (i.e., installing Windows 7 over itself as an "upgrade") will preserve your applications and settings (mostly) and is certainly less traumatic than a wipe and reinstall.  I see Microsoft recommending this method quite often on these forums.

Good luck.

-Noel

• Proposed as answer by Noel Carboni Saturday, April 10, 2010 1:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, April 19, 2010 6:28 AM
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 1:11 AM

All replies

• Have you tried using the SFC tool?  This is an app provided by Windows that checks to ensure all system files are where they should be and have the proper contents...

Open a command window and type the following, which is non-destructive:  SFC /VERIFYONLY
    If it does find something amiss, it will tell you about it, at which point you can consider using SFC /SCANNOW to effect a recovery.
    SFC /HELP will tell you all it can do.

Another thing I can think of is, in the pursuit of restoring operation, using the System Restore facility to revert the system state to a time just prior to the error showing up.  You may then want to do some of the things you've done in the past several weeks over again to see what (if anything) breaks DCOM.  The quickest way to start this is to click Start, then enter system restore into the search box, then click System Restore when it comes up.

Lastly, an in-place upgrade of Windows 7 (i.e., installing Windows 7 over itself as an "upgrade") will preserve your applications and settings (mostly) and is certainly less traumatic than a wipe and reinstall.  I see Microsoft recommending this method quite often on these forums.

Good luck.

-Noel

• Proposed as answer by Noel Carboni Saturday, April 10, 2010 1:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, April 19, 2010 6:28 AM
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 1:11 AM
  • I ran the SFC after reading your reply.  It came up with nothing wrong.

I attempted System Restore before I posted here.  I have very few system restore points, and I restored to the oldest one available.  No change.

I've had conditions on client machines where DCOM isn't working and doesn't seem to be installed. I'm actually interested if DCOM can be independently reinstalled, since for these machines it would be a vastly superior solution to even an in-place upgrade.

Is there ANY known method short of the in-place upgrade to reinstall or reinitialize DCOM?  Any way to tweak the registry to tell DCOM to rebuild itself?  I'm really trying to avoid the endless hours that a reinstall would entail.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 11:52 PM
  • Any help on this issue? I have a Win 7 Enterprise 64 machine that has the same problem, MMC crashes as soon as click Apply if I try to enable DCOM. I have some error reports as well that I'm not sure if they are related. Also, I don't know that DCOM ever worked on this machine, I only discovered it was off when I tried to turn it on.

Log Name:  Application
    Source:  Application Error
    Date:   10/13/2010 12:27:27 PM
    Event ID:  1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level:   Error
    Keywords:  Classic
    User:   N/A
    Computer:  machine
    Description:
    Faulting application name: mmc.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc808
    Faulting module name: comuid.dll, version: 2001.12.8530.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdf82
    Exception code: 0xc000041d
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000027eb4
    Faulting process id: 0x408
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cb6afbb024f132
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\mmc.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\comuid.dll
    Report Id: 25b0a985-d6ef-11df-8586-001aa045976f
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
     <System>
     <Provider Name="Application Error" />
     <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
     <Level>2</Level>
     <Task>100</Task>
     <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
     <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-10-13T17:27:27.000000000Z" />
     <EventRecordID>1682</EventRecordID>
     <Channel>Application</Channel>
     <Computer>machine</Computer>
     <Security />
     </System>
     <EventData>
     <Data>mmc.exe</Data>
     <Data>6.1.7600.16385</Data>
     <Data>4a5bc808</Data>
     <Data>comuid.dll</Data>
     <Data>2001.12.8530.16385</Data>
     <Data>4a5bdf82</Data>
     <Data>c000041d</Data>
     <Data>0000000000027eb4</Data>
     <Data>408</Data>
     <Data>01cb6afbb024f132</Data>
     <Data>C:\Windows\system32\mmc.exe</Data>
     <Data>C:\Windows\system32\comuid.dll</Data>
     <Data>25b0a985-d6ef-11df-8586-001aa045976f</Data>
     </EventData>
    </Event>

And then another before the above message 

Log Name:  Application
    Source:  Microsoft-Windows-Complus
    Date:   10/13/2010 12:25:03 PM
    Event ID:  4434
    Task Category: Security
    Level:   Warning
    Keywords:  Classic
    User:   N/A
    Computer:  Machine
    Description:
    A method call to an object in a COM+ application was rejected because the caller is not properly authorized to make this call. The COM+ application is configured to use Application and Component level access checks, and enforcement of these checks is currently enabled. The remainder of this message provides information about the component method that the caller attempted to invoke and the identity of the caller.Svc/Lvl/Imp = 10/6/2, Identity = MYDOMAIN\username 

Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
     <System>
     <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Complus" Guid="{0f177893-4a9c-4709-b921-f432d67f43d5}" EventSourceName="COM+" />
     <EventID Qualifiers="32768">4434</EventID>
     <Version>0</Version>
     <Level>3</Level>
     <Task>29</Task>
     <Opcode>0</Opcode>
     <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
     <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-10-13T17:25:03.000000000Z" />
     <EventRecordID>1677</EventRecordID>
     <Correlation />
     <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
     <Channel>Application</Channel>
     <Computer>machineu</Computer>
     <Security />
     </System>
     <EventData>
     <Data Name="param1">Svc/Lvl/Imp = 10/6/2, Identity = MYDOMAIN\username
    </Data>
     </EventData>
    </Event>

The second message seems like my account doesn't have access to enable DCOM, but my account is in a security group that is in the local administrators group, and I have no problems performing other admin tasks with that account.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:34 PM
  • Also, other weirdness, when I right click on My Computer to get to the DCOM properties, the window opens but only contains the single tab shown in the first screen shot. If I click cancel and try again I get the properties windows I am used to, shown in the second screen shot.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:51 PM
  • Blaine,

Not sure if you still need a solution, but if so check out this thread http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/2f347a0d-f5e2-490c-8c82-c15864ce17c7

Friday, October 22, 2010 2:44 PM
  • I just have a small problem with this solution.... my windows 7 is in dutch, and trying to import your dcom.img gives warnings about a different language.

What exactly is enclosed in your dcom.img?

Thanks

Robla

Monday, December 03, 2012 11:19 PM