none
Will Windows 8 have an XP Mode ?

General discussion

• Or do MSFT think that by then nobody will need it anymore as they'll have migrated all their apps over to Win 7 finally?

I know that I'll still want an XP mode. I have about 10 applications installed on it that won't run properly on Win 7 and I've no desire to give them up, they still do their job very well.

Friday, June 17, 2011 1:29 PM

All replies

• I don't think anyone knows yet that can talk.  I sure don't, but I
    expect there will have to be some way to run legacy apps, just like in
    Win7. 

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Friday, June 17, 2011 1:45 PM
  • I heard (on the BBC technology show "Click") that it would have a "Win 7 Mode" in the same way that Win 7 has an XP mode. So presumably they already know that it's sufficiently different to need it, and it's not just a mostly cosmetic-plus-tweaks type of upgrade. I guess MSFT know how many people have downloaded the XP mode option and if it's a really small percentage of Win 7 installs, maybe they'll think they don't need to keep it.

It'll be fun if we have to run Win 7 mode on Win 8 so that in the Win 7 mode VM we can run the XP mode (nested VMs).

Friday, June 17, 2011 3:23 PM
  • If you'll look at the released videos on the new interface, you'll
    notice that the Win7 mode is just the Win7 UI still being there, and
    it's not running in a VM, its working alongside the new
    HTML5/javascript desktop and apps...

>It'll be fun if we have to run Win 7 mode on Win 8 so that in the Win 7 mode VM we can run the XP mode (nested VMs).

Too slow to be workable, I've tried it in the past. <g>

Friday, June 17, 2011 3:30 PM
  • You won't be able to run nested vms then any more than you can now.  That would mean connecting emultated hardware to emulated hardware instead of the physical hardware. 

There will likely be no need for a Win7Mode. 

Since XP will not be retired until April 13, 2014 and the next version of Windows will certainly be released well before then, I suspect that XP Mode will be supported on the new system at least until XP's retirement.  Then I expect the XP Mode download link will be closed.  That will not affect installations already running.

A more interesting question is how much longer will Microsoft continue to develop 32bit versions of new operating systems?  I see it for the next Windows but perhaps not the one after.  64bit-only has already happened on the server side with 2008 R2, so it can happen on the client side too.  64bits is already the default on new computers shipping.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Friday, June 17, 2011 3:43 PM
  • 64bits is already the default on new computers shipping.

Well, on the 64 bit machines it is. Am I wrong in thinking that the i3 and i5 processors (which are by far the most popular currently) are both 32 bit ? I didn't look at them when spec'ing my new/current machine, I only looked at the i7 sandy bridge ones which are 64.

I'm still seeing that the 64 bit version of IE9 won't allow you to set it as the default browser though. That's a bit weird. Not that I want to, but weird you can't.

Friday, June 17, 2011 6:21 PM
  • All the i3 and i5 processors I've seen are 64bit. http://ark.intel.com/Default.aspx

I don't think there are any 32bit i-series processors.  Even the Intel Atoms have 64bit instruction sets now.

Friday, June 17, 2011 6:32 PM
  • I think all i3's and i5's are 64-bit, but they still ship some 32-bit
    only atoms. I don't know on  the AMD side for their low end chips.

Anyway, just because a PC has a 64-bit processor, doesn't mean it has
    a 64-bit OS, most still come with 32-bit OS's unless they come
    equipped with 4G+ of RAM.

Friday, June 17, 2011 6:41 PM
  • In message
    <00c651fa-758a-4174-bfd3-5821388f80e0@communitybridge.codeplex.com>
    someone claiming to be Cbarnhorst typed:

Then I expect the XP Mode download link will be closed.

Why would they?  You can still download updates for Windows 98, why
    would you expect they would pull XP Mode (a component of Windows 7) when
    XP goes out of support?

Friday, June 17, 2011 11:28 PM
  • When XP goes out of support MS will pull the plug on XP Mode downloads because they don't distribute a product that they don't support.

You can download the archived updates for 98 but MS has not written any new updates for 98 since 2006.  MS also no longer provides even paid support for 98.  The archive is there for legacy users but that does not imply that you can get Win98 from MS. 

XP Mode is not a component of Windows 7.  It doesn't even run on the Home editions.  It is an add-on for the business editions and Ultimate.  An add-on that can easily be closed to new users by removing the download page.

Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:04 AM
  • It might be a bit premature to speculate on whether they'll pull the
    download or not, there's still a lot of people that run Windows XP and
    XP only compatible apps. 

I know I have apps at work that don't run on anything newer, so it
    would be a problem...

Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:09 AM
  • I think the download page will close.  Users will still be able to build a new XP vm with WVPC (or its successor) and their own copy of XP.
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 3:37 AM
  • In message
    <b0e1e1ba-406d-44eb-87d7-4591eb3a54e1@communitybridge.codeplex.com>
    someone claiming to be Cbarnhorst typed:

XP Mode is not a component of Windows 7. 

You'd better tell Microsoft about that: It's listed as a feature of the
    operating system on retail boxes, and in the OEM literature.

Pulling it would likely constitute fraud unless they also recall all
    unsold retail boxes and refund anyone who purchased Windows 7 under the
    belief that XP Mode is not a limited time feature.

It doesn't even run on the Home editions. 

True, like many components of Windows 7, it's only available under some
    licenses.

It is an add-on for the business editions and Ultimate.  An add-on that can easily be closed to new users by removing the download page.

Care to make a friendly wager?

$5 says that XP Mode will still be an available download for Windows 7
    Pro after XP's support officially ends.  We can pick any date you like,
    as long as it's within the full support period for Windows 7, but I'd
    suggest 6 months or so to give Microsoft a chance to make whatever
    change they want.

Saturday, June 18, 2011 4:40 AM
  • I think the download page will close.  Users will still be able to build a new XP vm with WVPC (or its successor) and their own copy of XP.

What users should do, in that case, is have a copy of XP Mode available for when the time comes. I have 3 copies on CD, plus one on each Data partition on my HDD's, of which I have 4.

And have 4 perfectly fine working copies of XP Mode in 24 bit True Color, each with 2.5GB dedicated to them. They actually look & perform as well, if not better, than the native installs on the older computers that I had.

The glossy monitors give XP a type of Aero style mode, the native 32 bit True Color isn't missed.

Cat

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 1:14 AM
  • Idon't know. At this point, I think Microsoft just wants to forget about Windows XP.

But what would work well is if alongside the Windows desktop in the start screen, there was also a "Windows XP Desktop", and maybe a "Windows 7 Desktop" and "Windows Vista Desktop" also, each really a virtual machine running their respective OS.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:16 PM
  • Well, I'm not looking to get into a shoutin' match!  But I don't think they'll pull the plug on the XP Mode download page.  Win7 won't be going away for quite some time.  So ... that's my $0.02.  Put that in your change purse & shake it!

Still, I will certainly heed your call and save a few copies of the downloads - I'm sure I'll be loading XP Mode on at least Win7 PCs for years to come.  

Robert

Baltimore, MD

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 6:01 PM
  • Microsoft has already said that MED-V (the enterprise version of XP Mode) won't extend the support lifecycle of Windows XP.  VPC didn't extend Windows 95 or Windows 98 support lifecycles.

I really don't see Microsoft distributing an unsupported OS.

Here's the official answer: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/faq.aspx

Is Windows XP Mode supported throughout the lifecycle of Windows 7?

No. Windows XP Mode is a full virtual version of Windows XP and follows the same support lifecycle as Windows XP. Windows XP extended support phase ends
    in 2014.

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 7:07 PM
  • To add on to this, MED-V is going away anyway: Microsoft Issues MDOP Betas, Plans MED-V Phase Out

It is somewhat unfortunate however they don't have a Windows 7 MED-V/Xp-mode experience for Windows 8.  MED-V was more than a virtual machine.  it seamlessly integrated with the foreground OS, providing support for old versions of IE as well as apps.  I'm running Windows 8 now and there are several VPN clients I cannot (yet?) use.  I've built a Win7 VM for this, however it would be nice if I could have the seamless integration MED-V and XP mode afforded. 

Mike Crowley | MVP
    My Blog -- Planet Technologies

Monday, August 20, 2012 11:49 PM
  • Windows 8 won't have an XP Mode or Virtual PC, it has been officially announced on the Virtual PC FAQ page

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/faq.aspx

Is Windows XP Mode supported on Windows 8?

Windows XP Mode will not be supported on Windows 8. Windows XP Mode is a
    Windows 7 Professional feature designed to support Windows XP application
    compatibility.

To learn how to retrieve data from a Windows XP Mode virtual machine on
    Windows 8, click here.

Is Windows Virtual PC supported on Windows 8?

Windows Virtual PC will not be supported on Windows 8. Client Hyper-V is
    Microsoft’s offering for operating system virtualization on Windows 8.

To learn how to retrieve data from a Windows XP Mode virtual machine on
    Windows 8, click here.

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 8:15 PM
  • Ok. I have installed W8 on a test machine, which I upgraded from W7. I created a new virtual machine in Hyper-V, and attached the XP Mode vhd I had on W7. I did all the integration stuff. Now, XP works like a charm in W8, BUT I have that damn 30 days activation prompt message in XP.

Well, at this point I give Microsoft those 30 days to find a solution to this activation problem.

I need XP for some legacy hardware for which nobody took the burden of writing the drivers. Plus, I have some old VB6 application to maintain, and I keep the old VB IDE in XP. If MS won't give me a chance to go on using XP mode in W8 (and I don't care if XP won't be supported anymore, for my purposes it is ok like that), I simply won't move to Windows 8 with my other machines (and I am a network administrator, so I mean many machines, even though just a couple of them will still need XP). Giving this opportunity won't cost a cent to Microsoft. Not giving it, will probably cost them some money.

Thanks for the attention.

Davide Elessar Envinyatar Dúnadan

Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:47 PM
  • There is no activation solution, XP Mode is a feature of Windows 7, not 8.  Did you review the links I posted above you?

XP Mode was designed as a bridge to give extra time to move off of XP.

Sunday, November 18, 2012 12:31 AM