none
Mig problem

Question

• so i bought a new HP laptop  got it home used it for a couple months and then when sp1 for vista came out it  wouldnt update.   upon many phone calls to MS support they pointed me over to hp to reformat due to cab file damage.   to make a long story short I have saved all my family photos and files on a mig that was saved to my external HD. 

First time i tried to restore it after i started transfer it came back immediately with Error Migration failed.

Upon reading different remedies that have helped people I tried to manually create SCRWORKING and also tried to manully create the user profiles as well.  This got me further to where it now says preparing then also says preparing to transfer files then gives me same error.

Please help I have our sons first year pics on this mig and mywife is so pissed at me right now.

thank you,
    toby johnson
    Wednesday, October 01, 2008 12:44 AM

Answers

• so i was looking at a gentleman who after 4 months of calling microsoft got migrecover.exe .    it took ten mins to get all my stuff.  anyone interested in it email me:  thejohnsons916@hotmail.com
    Saturday, October 04, 2008 2:00 AM
  • Hi Toby,

Can you restore the .mig file to another computer?

What’s the result if copying the .mig file from the external drive to the local hard drive and then double-clicking the .mig file on the local hard drive to restore the data?

Please also turn off anti-virus programs and performing a Clean Boot before restoring the data.

Clean Boot

========

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment. If the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If the issue persists, I suggest contacting Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone to obtain a tool to extract the .mig file.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 7:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Toby,

Can you restore the .mig file to another computer?

What’s the result if copying the .mig file from the external drive to the local hard drive and then double-clicking the .mig file on the local hard drive to restore the data?

Please also turn off anti-virus programs and performing a Clean Boot before restoring the data.

Clean Boot

========

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment. If the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If the issue persists, I suggest contacting Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone to obtain a tool to extract the .mig file.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 7:38 AM
  • i ahev done all that.   clean boot and everything.   and all those tech guys do is tell me to try it again.  whens enough enough?   all i need is the files off of it.
    Thursday, October 02, 2008 11:19 PM
  • Hi,

Now please contacting Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone to obtain a tool to extract the .mig file.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, October 03, 2008 6:10 AM
  • ya im calling them time to be on hold for 4 hours. 
    Friday, October 03, 2008 11:04 PM
  • so i was looking at a gentleman who after 4 months of calling microsoft got migrecover.exe .    it took ten mins to get all my stuff.  anyone interested in it email me:  thejohnsons916@hotmail.com
    Saturday, October 04, 2008 2:00 AM
  • Hi, I got the program and the only problem i am having is that when i run the program it goes through and for each file says "Error while creating the destination file"

I don't know if this matters but I am moving the file from Windows 7 to Vista.
    Saturday, March 07, 2009 8:00 PM
  • I have the exact same problem as jtlszlo.  I upgraded to Windows 7 RC but was really slow.  Back up with Easy Transfer to restore on Vista Ultimate.  Did not work so downloaded migrecover tool and here I sit.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

Sunday, May 10, 2009 7:09 AM
  • I too have aqquired the migrecover program, but whenever i run it, it says "Error while creating the destination file"  any idea?
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:22 AM
  • Toby
    I have the same problem with restoring MIG files.  Upgraded WinXP to Windows7.  Did everything asked of me but my external HDD chucked a hairy - not recoverable.  It had all my normal backups also.  I did make two copies on my C drive before upgrade but trying to migrate from there will not accept my password.  Transfered them to a replacement external HDD but same same! - will not accept my password. Help - the files and programes are vital.  Did you get any way to extract the password?
    Dave Woodrow
    dwoodrow@bigpond.net.au
    Monday, July 13, 2009 6:42 AM
  • Tim
    I have the same problem with restoring MIG files.  Upgraded WinXP to Windows7.  Did everything asked of me but my external HDD chucked a hairy - not recoverable.  It had all my normal backups also.  I did make two copies on my C drive before upgrade but trying to migrate from there will not accept my password.  Transfered them to a replacement external HDD but same same! - will not accept my password. Help - the files and programes are vital.  Did you have any way to extract the password?
    Dave Woodrow
    dwoodrow@bigpond.net.au
    Monday, July 13, 2009 7:00 AM
  • hey toby,

i also have the same problem you ha and i used that tool and it keeps telling me that all my files are corpt any ideas on how to fix this problem?

ELGGY
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 11:19 PM