none
Windows Time Service will not start. Verified dll and registry keys.

Question

• I'm having a problem with a user's workstation.
    Windows XP SP3 and joined to a Domain

User called in because Time Zone was set incorrectly to Eastern time  - user is in Chicago, Home Office is in NJ.

I remoted into the user's machine and successfully changed the time zone under the local admin account; however, the user's time in the system tray did not change

After digging a bit I discovered the Windows Time service was not started. When I attempt to start it I receive

System Error 126 has Occurred. 

The Specified module could not be found
    I verified that the w32time.dll file was in the System32 folder
    I tried un-registering and re-registering the DLL file
    I tried un-registering and re-registering the Windows Time Service
    I tried replacing the DLL with a copy from an XP SP3 install disc
    I tried replacing the DLL with a copy from a working PC
    I tried replacing the registry entries for the service with the entries from a working PC
    I checked to make sure there are no spaces in the TYPE key:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959113
    I still receive the system error 126 and the time will not update.
    Please help.
    Tuesday, November 01, 2011 2:53 PM

All replies

• try to compare the value of the registry keys: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time] from a working XP SP3 machine to the pc having problem.

check if you find anything that is different.

Every second counts..make use of it.
    Wednesday, November 02, 2011 9:09 AM
  • Why don't you right click your W32Time registry hive, export it  to a .reg file on your desktop,  open the file with something like notepad, select all the text, copy all the selected text to the Windows clipboard and paste it back here and then somebody can take a look at it and maybe spot something amiss.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. I need YOUR votes and points for helpful replies and Propose as Answers. I am saving up for a pony!
    Wednesday, November 02, 2011 9:38 AM