none
Looking for shortcut keys to launch Windows Ink Workspace apps RRS feed

• Question

• Can anybody point me to information on shortcut keys to launch Windows Ink Workspace applications?

Specifically, the apps in question are:

• Sticky Notes
    • Sketchpad
    • Screen sketch

For example, the combination WindowsKey + w  brings up the Windows Ink Workspace side panel itself.  I'm looking for the shortcuts to launch each app.

Thank you.

Saturday, March 18, 2017 1:57 PM

All replies

• looking for the shortcuts to launch each app.

I'm not sure there are any.  However, if you have a Surface pen with a Bluetooth button, supposedly you could program it to do something related for you...

So, apparently a pen doubleclick is already an available option for Ink Workspace, Screen Sketch.  Then that implies there will be something programmable you could do with another device (such as a keyboard customization) which would do the same thing.  All you would need to do would be to find how it is specified for the pen and then apply the same command to one of your unused special function keys.

BTW that was checking 15060; however, I think I have seen the same thing in earlier builds...  In fact, it is also in 14393.953.  I guess I must have been doing some customization in there before because there I see it would be a single click (if I had such a pen to use).

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, March 18, 2017 5:58 PM
  • Hi -

Thanks very much for replying to my question (and so quickly!).

I realize that the BT pen is issuing some set of keystrokes to launch the apps; but as you point out ("All you would need to do would be to find how it is specified for the pen and then apply the same command to one of your unused special function keys."), I was hoping to find out what those keystrokes are.  It may be that the only way to do that is to monitor keystrokes when a BT pen is being used, because it doesn't seem that that information is being publicly documented anywhere (at least where I've been looking).

Thanks again.

Sunday, March 19, 2017 4:25 AM
  • It may be that the only way to do that is to monitor keystrokes when a BT pen is being used, because it doesn't seem that that information is being publicly documented anywhere (at least where I've been looking).

I'm suggesting that a program is being launched when the button is pressed (or doubleclicked) and that that action can be customized.  I don't think you will find a "keystroke" to be involved.  I'm simply saying that once you know what the program is, then you will have a better chance of creating your own "keystroke"; e.g. tying that program's command line to your unused function key.

If you do have access to a BT pen, then great!  Use ProcMon, filtering first with Operation Begins with Proc and Operation Begins with Thread to see what happens when you press your BT button.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Ugh.  I should have realized, these aren't normal programs; they are "modern" apps; so all that we see from that traditional analysis is BackgroundTaskHost.exe and ShellExperienceHost.exe  being invoked.  On another tack there is some context available via  Category Is Write  but then the flow is not apparent.   FWIW I traced two methods of starting ScreenSketch:  using the mouse only and using Win-w first.  At least I can see that there are two instances of the same thing started in two different ways but otherwise not much is clear at first glance.  I may try looking at this some more later.  It would probably help to add some trace events to be recorded to try to expose the flow that way.
    Sunday, March 19, 2017 5:46 AM
  • Hi Robert -

I am woefully ignorant on using the ProcMon filtering support as you suggest, so I'll have to ramp up on that to see if there's anything that shows which executable is launched.

I will talk to people I work with to see if there's a BT pen I can borrow and try to trace out what happens on the click and double click events.  If there is a background task that's responding to BT events by launching a process directly instead of issuing a set of keystrokes to do it, then that would seem to go against normal accessibility paradigms (especially so since MS has gone to the trouble to provide the Winkey+w sequence to open the panel - it just doesn't make sense). 

Thanks again.  You've opened up new avenues of investigation I hadn't considered.

Monday, March 20, 2017 3:01 AM
  • Hi,

NO, there is no present shortcut key for these single applications.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:36 AM
  • Yes a shortcut key for these single applications can be configured.

For

- Sketchpad
        - Screen sketch

create 2 new (internet) shortcuts on your desktop, and enter

ms-penworkspace://Capture    ...the URL for the Sketchpad
    ms-penworkspace://Create    ...the URL for the Screen sketch

Then modify the shortcut keys (properties) and assign a (not elswhere used)
    Shortcut key combination of your choice.

For the "sticky notes" app I have no idea yet.

Be aware:
    When you use multiple touchscreen monitors connected to your
    Notebook/PC...
    ... then the commands will trigger the SketchPad and ScreenSketch app
    exactly at this monitor, where you have clicked on the Windows-Ink Icon (Taskbar)
    last time.

Maybe somebody know a option for the URL, how to start the SketchPad
    app at a specific connected Touch Screen Monitor / Desktop.

[checked with Win10 1803 (Build 17134.48)]

Monday, May 28, 2018 9:07 AM
  • Good on you. you put it in the best possible way.
    Saturday, June 23, 2018 2:00 PM
  • create 2 new (internet) shortcuts on your desktop, and enter

I had to use Desktop shortcuts with  explorer.exe but thanks for finding those URI!

When you use multiple touchscreen monitors connected to your
    Notebook/PC...
    ... then the commands will trigger the SketchPad and ScreenSketch app
    exactly at this monitor, where you have clicked on the Windows-Ink Icon (Taskbar)
    last time.

I have a different observation for this one too.  My main monitor is not my Tablet.  Absurdly this opened on my main monitor even though the shortcut was dragged to the Tablet.  Further, the last use of Screen Sketch was clearly on my Tablet because the orientation would have been Portrait and in fact what shows on the main monitor is an unmovable instance of that rotated 90 degrees.  How helpful.  How do I get it to go to the Tablet?  I had a similar  problem with the Touch Keyboard but I found that as long as I never dock it that it will appear on the monitor where it was closed last.  So, I imagine I need a way to make the Screen Sketch not be Fullscreen.

Heh.  Maybe I did use that last on the main monitor after all.  I just noticed that I do now have an Ink Workspace button on my Tablet's Taskbar and used that first, then tried my keyboard shortcut.  It worked!  Thanks for your Answer.

FWIW this is being done on 16299.492

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, June 24, 2018 1:45 AM
  • This worked wonders for me! Thank you!
    • Proposed as answer by jdhawaii333 Sunday, April 21, 2019 5:35 PM
    Sunday, April 21, 2019 5:34 PM