none
Account Reset - Files and Settings Gone

Question

• I'm curious if anyone has encountered this horrible problem I'm having. Twice now since I've installed (upgraded to) RTM Vista Business my account has been reset. It seems to happen after I reboot after changing UAC settings on/off, or messing with user accounts. I can't consistently reproduce it. This time I deleted a few user accounts (not mine) and turned UAC back on. After rebooting, when I logged back in, my desktop is reset to the vista default, and everything (I mean everything) is gone. There are two accounts, first.last and first.last.DOMAIN. I've logged into both and nada, no files.

I didn't install vista on a clean computer, I upgraded my XP. On the upgrade first go around everything went fine, all of my files were there, etc. No problems. Then I rebooted and it's all gone.

I should point out that I'm bound to a domain also. Server is Windows 2003 Enterprise SP1. I have a static IP.

I've tried everything under the sun to search for files, including logging in to safe mode as admin and searching for files that used to be on my desktop in command prompt (ie, dir *.pdf /s). I also turned on the admin account and logged in to that, no files.

I'm suspecting that I'm an isolated case as google searches come up empty. Maybe it's because I upgraded? Any help would be much appreciated.

Brian

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 9:12 AM

All replies

• I have experience the same thing. At first a did an update but then I just did a clean install and still the same issue.
    Tuesday, January 23, 2007 4:12 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem with Vista Ultimate! I suspect that it is after I logged in to our domain. I can see the difference in the size in the default administrator account and the administrator account I create in my domain. The default administrator account is 58MB and the one it creates when I log in the domain is only around 1.8MB. There is a way to get your icons back on your desktop, though, if you have saved something important to it. You have to right-click on your taskbar and, under Properties, Start Menu, you should chose "classic view"; you will get an icon on your desktop which is your full name on your domain account. If you open this and right-click on the desktop icon, you can chose "restore desktop" on a specific time and date. This will restore your desktop settings/files, but ONLY until next time you reboot.
    Monday, February 12, 2007 11:18 PM
  • This is what i have found out, it has something to do with your network connection. If you log in to a domain like I do via a wireless connection sometimes the connetions takes a bit longer than the booting of the profile so it does not now you are connected to a domain and will boot the default startup screen. I will try to boot from a hardwire connection and see if the problem presist. I have installed VISTA 2 times already trying to solve this issue. But I don'd know if it is my UX280P that is the issue, all the drivers are not out yet, or if it is the OS.
    Monday, February 12, 2007 11:41 PM
  • For what it's worth, I'm having the same issue on clean install Ultimate RTM. It occured on a reboot after windows update Feb 15th. I thought it had something to do with that particular update, but since you had it happen in Dec., it is something else, early adopters rejoice, not. I also have the issue of it saying that my windows is not activated, the activation program won't run, and windows update won't run. I did add an IDE/Sata pci card and a DVD burner, a couple days before this happened. I can't imagine that would of changed the hardware significantly enough to de-activate windows. I am not connected to a domain and my system is hard wired to the router. I did notice in the event log, that there was a registry hive problem and it may not have been completely recovered on the day I did the windows update. My old desktop is still in the user folder though, so at least I didn't lose anything. It's been almost 2 months and M$ doesn't have an update yet to fix it, and they say it's suppose to increase productivity! I'm surprised there aren't more class-action suits against M$ for lost revenue due to stuff like this. Guess I'll reinstall and cross my fingers.
    Saturday, February 17, 2007 12:52 AM
  • Hello,

I am having the same problem every time i reboot  vista resets all the settings and it's like i am logging on for the first time. anyone have any solutions. Vista came with automatic updates running and did a update the first time i logged on. I have been having problem from the first boot. thx

Friday, February 23, 2007 12:31 PM
  • I encountered the same problem and was able to find my stuff buried on the drive. Here is the path:

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Desktop

You may need to change you folder options to show hidden files and folders.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 8:05 PM
  • You are a bad mofo Evelle Snoats!!
    Tuesday, April 03, 2007 8:06 PM
  • After my last post I gave up on the UX280 for several reason and could not eliminate the machine as the problem. I did upgrade my PC to vista, this one is hard wired, and have not had this issue. I did this about a month ago.
    Thursday, April 05, 2007 8:55 PM
  • Has anybody found the cause of this yet

just setup and built my companies first Vista Run Computer.  It is also Ultimate.  After joining the companies domain and logging in to Vista I get "preparing your desktop...".  Then I get to wait about 10 minutes while I get the personalized settings rebuilt.  then if I log off I get the "preparing desktop again but no personalized settings and I get a brand new desktop again with any files or settings from the previous log on erased.  If I reboot   all settings are gone and all files that were on the desktop are apparantly overwritten with a new desktop and I get to wait 10 minutes again for the personalized settings to rebuild.  Still got my trash though.    Other than starting over with a new desktop  and no settings every time it works great.  All programs run good, I can remote desktop in or out, all memory resident programs load, with new settings of course.  I even remote desktoped in after loging off and it rebuilt the desktop via the remote log in.

Does anybody have any sugestions.

Friday, July 13, 2007 2:04 AM
  • I also have the same issues with Vista and UAC and setting user account options.  I want my desktop to stay as I set it becuase we are using it in a classroom environment and all the stations have to be the same.  Why doesn't anyone answer the questions of so many postings?

Thursday, August 16, 2007 6:25 PM
  • Having the same problem for a domain user with local admin rights.

Found a post on another forum that said he solved it by uninstalling an update from May 23, but doesn't say which update.

http://www.tabletquestions.com/windows-vista/117164-cant-find-desktop-after-vista-update-installation-5-23-a.html

Friday, September 07, 2007 12:46 PM
  • When I rebooted my personalized settings were changed to a new desktop without any of desktop files.

If you had the same problem and were able to fix it, can tell me exactly how you fix it? mspaap2u@sbcglobal.net?

Thank You

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 7:43 AM
  •   I Have an emachine with Windows Vista it did not load cooreclty so i think i replaced programs. Then it open to administrator account and my user account and my sisters was gone. everything i had was gone pictures, videos music, how to get it back now? what can i do? was it a virus?  PLEASE HELP

Saturday, June 14, 2008 2:25 PM
  • IT SUPPORT

Had a customer trying to set up her wireless connection through her modem and
    i had to remote through her connection and she didnt have UAC Windows System Service enable
    so i remotely enabled the service and then connected unblocking the windows firewall for the appliation to run
    then tried to connect wireless and unable too connect then The remote session and then it locked up and she restarted
    her computer and got the "PREPARING DESKTOP" Message and then the desktop was gone no icons and could not open up any programs
    then try to boot in safe mode and was unable to gain access to it had insufficant permission to acces this program and just didnt open up anything
    we cold booted the computer left it off for a minute and i guess it disabled the UAC and everything came back excpet the background but all progams
    open up fine and finally connect wirelessly.

Might have something to do with UAC or tcp/ip
    And note: before try to reset tcp/ip netsh i i r r and said can not reset did not specify a speicif user on domain
    reset echo ok

date:7/26/08

Saturday, July 26, 2008 8:41 PM
  • IT SUPPORT

Had a customer trying to set up her wireless connection through her modem and
    i had to remote through her connection and she didnt have UAC Windows System Service enable
    so i remotely enabled the service and then connected unblocking the windows firewall for the appliation to run
    then tried to connect wireless and unable too connect then The remote session and then it locked up and she restarted
    her computer and got the "PREPARING DESKTOP" Message and then the desktop was gone no icons and could not open up any programs
    then try to boot in safe mode and was unable to gain access to it had insufficant permission to acces this program and just didnt open up anything
    we cold booted the computer left it off for a minute and i guess it disabled the UAC and everything came back excpet the background but all progams
    open up fine and finally connect wirelessly.

Might have something to do with UAC or tcp/ip
    And note: before try to reset tcp/ip netsh i i r r and said can not reset did not specify a speicif user on domain
    reset echo ok

date:7/26/08

Saturday, July 26, 2008 8:42 PM
  •   Seems to happen when you turn off UAC, install some sofware that creates
    desktop icons, then turn UAC back on. That error message pops up after
    rebooting.

I've looked in the Security tab of Document And Setting folder and found a
    Deny Everyone entry on each of the sub-folders. I removed them all but still
    have the same error message poping up after rebooting.

Had to turn off UAC to re-establish normal behavior. By that I mean, no
    missing desktop error message, desktop icons re-appering, search working, etc.

Monday, September 08, 2008 2:23 PM
  • I have had exactly the same problem with a new clean desktop appearing on my clean pre-installed Windows Vista Business on a DELL XPS laptop - my old desktop and other profile files are duplicated alongside in the file system so I have not lost anything, but I think the UAC disabling connection may be a red herring as mine was disabled before and after this happened - I had not restarted UAC at any time. 
    Friday, July 24, 2009 10:34 PM