none
Windows7 does not recognize magicjack?

Question

• Cannot get magicjack recognized in windows7? Just get "Warning: you must plug magicjack into USB"!
    Eighter from Decatur, county seat of Wise (of course it's in Texas)
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:32 AM

Answers

• It requires two things. 1. Copy the mjusbsp folder from a working install on XP or Vista to the C:\Users\YourUserName\appdata\Roaming folder in Windows 7. 2. You have to start it the no splash way to get it to load. Otherwise, you will get an error that it's not plugged in. "C:\Users\YourUserName\appdata\Roaming\mjusbsp\magicjack.exe" /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot X:\magicJack Just substitute your username and your drive letter for X. Just browse to the location of your magicjack.exe that you stored in the process above, and CREATE a shortcut (that shortcut will have most of the information you need)! CUT that shortcut and paste it wherever you want it (on your desktop?) Then just append this stuff to the info in the shortcut: /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot X:\magicJack Just substitute your username and your drive letter (the one that is NOT the CD) for X. When you want to activate the magicjack (when plugged-in) just click the shortcut!

Sounds like you did not follow the instructions? The whole point is to avoid the splash screen and run from the shortcut!!!

• Edited by p010ne Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:10 PM edit
    • Marked as answer by p010ne Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:29 PM
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 6:35 PM
  • OK, looking forward to the new drivers!
    However, I found there is a procedure that is supposed to work? Shame it does not just involve using the options of running in compatibility mode for driver installation (and the compatibility analysis process)!
    By the way, the shortcut modifications in the procedure work GREAT!!!

• Marked as answer by p010ne Monday, January 19, 2009 4:51 AM
    • Edited by p010ne Monday, January 19, 2009 10:04 PM commented
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:42 AM

All replies

• I'm fairly sure that i have seen mention of this before in the last week in this forum, and IIRC apparently there are new drivers due out about the end of January for it.
    • Marked as answer by p010ne Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:41 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by p010ne Monday, January 19, 2009 4:48 AM
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:39 AM
  • OK, looking forward to the new drivers!
    However, I found there is a procedure that is supposed to work? Shame it does not just involve using the options of running in compatibility mode for driver installation (and the compatibility analysis process)!

• Marked as answer by p010ne Monday, January 19, 2009 4:51 AM
    • Edited by p010ne Monday, January 19, 2009 10:04 PM commented
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:42 AM
  • p010ne said:

OK, looking forward to the new drivers!

That solution almost worked. MagicJack opened and looked normal for a few seconds, then it started an upgrade, and it ran into the same splash screen indicating that the magicJack was not plugged in.

I contacted magicJack, and was told that they are working on a solution, which should be out next month (Feb 2009). At least that's what I was told after I said I wouldn't be renewing the account unless there was a fix. So, they may have just been trying to keep me from cancelling.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 6:24 PM
  • It requires two things. 1. Copy the mjusbsp folder from a working install on XP or Vista to the C:\Users\YourUserName\appdata\Roaming folder in Windows 7. 2. You have to start it the no splash way to get it to load. Otherwise, you will get an error that it's not plugged in. "C:\Users\YourUserName\appdata\Roaming\mjusbsp\magicjack.exe" /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot X:\magicJack Just substitute your username and your drive letter for X. Just browse to the location of your magicjack.exe that you stored in the process above, and CREATE a shortcut (that shortcut will have most of the information you need)! CUT that shortcut and paste it wherever you want it (on your desktop?) Then just append this stuff to the info in the shortcut: /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot X:\magicJack Just substitute your username and your drive letter (the one that is NOT the CD) for X. When you want to activate the magicjack (when plugged-in) just click the shortcut!

Sounds like you did not follow the instructions? The whole point is to avoid the splash screen and run from the shortcut!!!

• Edited by p010ne Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:10 PM edit
    • Marked as answer by p010ne Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:29 PM
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 6:35 PM
  • I was able to get MJ working using the method suggested in this thread.

Other and being spelling/typing challeged, the quotes are stripped when you press the OK button in the shortcut panel, so press ENTER in the text box to make them stick.

Update 2/5/2009: I had to disable MJ due to high CPU and memory usage. It was pulling 1/2 GB of system memory and 50% of my CPU (P4-D 3Ghz).
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 4:46 PM
  • I had run-away memory usage with the "magicJack.exe *32" process under Windows 7 64-bit (Build 7100) ever since the folks at MJ updated their drivers and allowed the magicJack Loader to bootstrap the program from the USB (which made it plug and play).  I couldn't figure out for the life of me why, but I stumbled the answer to the runaway memory usage issue:

1. Explore to C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Roaming\mjusbsp directory, and edit the properties of magicJack.exe magicJackLoader.exe magicJackSplash.exe.
    2. For each one, on the Compatibility tab, uncheck "Run this program in compatibility mode..." (mine was set to Vista compatibility, probably from an earlier work-around).
    3. Click on "Change settings for all users" and repeat step 2.
    4. Kill the magicJack.exe process and relaunch (or log off and log back on, or reboot.. whichever you like).

Viola`! No more crazy memory eating.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 11:11 PM
  • I had the same problem.  I went to the MagicJack site and they have updates but the problem is Windows 7 won't allow the update to happen.  I solved the problem by plugging my MagicJack into a XP computer and downloading the software into the Jack.  I then just plugged the updated Jack into my Windows 7 PC and it worked.

• Proposed as answer by smokykoko Tuesday, January 12, 2010 11:40 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 11:39 PM
  • Maybe it`s not in time reply, but I found update Magic Jack for Windows 7 at Windows update site here http://www.magicjack.com/8/customerCare_windows7.asp .As i understood now you finally can easy fix your discrepancy problem.

---------------------------------

Want to now more about Magic Jack problems and answers? visit http://magic-jack.pissedconsumer.com/

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 10:19 AM
  • Hi

Would you mind telling me how I append this ( /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot X:\magicJack) to the shortcut in W7?

Friday, January 14, 2011 3:18 PM
  • Very easy

these are the steps for windows 7 users, hope it will be helpfull to all:

Follow these instructions:

Unplug the Magicjack from the computer/laptop

First:

Windows Vista/Windows 7

Click Start, click Control Panel, click Programs, and click Programs and Features.

In the Currently installed programs box, select magicJack, and then click Uninstall.

If you are prompted to confirm the removal of the program, click Yes.

Restart your computer

Second:

Click on this link and download the program and save it to your desktop:

http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/magicJackSetup.exe

after download, run the program and then connect the Magicjack when prompt or whne installation finished. 

It should be working.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:33 PM