none
Three Login Screens Before Login - Windows 10 Enterprise RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon all,

I'm hoping you all can help me with an issue that I can't quite figure out.

I'm the IT for a very small office network. We have two domain controllers and use Active Directory for accounts. All of our computers are Windows 10 Enterprise. Our domain controllers have Windows Server 2012. We also have a Cisco Firewall with VPN capability.

When my boss manually locks his desktop with the Windows+L hotkey, when he goes to unlock it, it goes to the unlock screen below instead of the traditional Windows 10 lock screen. Anytime he is away from the desktop for an extended length of time, he has to put his password into the first login screen (below), then the same login screen (not getting it wrong), and then into the 3rd, normal Windows 10, login screen to log in. (3 times)

It started happening when he connected to our network via VPN (using Cisco AnyConnect) with one of our laptops and then used RDC (mstsc.exe) to connect to his desktop. Ever since then, it gives him multiple login screens. But he did that previously without it causing this problem and other co-workers that connect via VPN, with the same version of Windows and using RDC, are able to do it as well.

Thank you all for any help you can offer.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 10:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your statement,I feel my complicated mood.It may caused by your netwotk setting(VPN and cicso).You can do the following steps:

1. Click Start-->Programs-->Administrative Tools-->Local Security Policy
    2. Under Local Policies-->User Rights Assignment, go to "Allow logon through Terminal Services" Or “Allow logon through Remote Desktop Services
    3. Add your machine

In our Windows level,what we do may decrease the time to modify the Group Policy ,but it can’t decrease the times the login screens appear.

Good luck to you!

Best regards,

Charlotte Tang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 20, 2019 8:47 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

Best regards,

Charlotte Tang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 7:57 AM
  • So I went to Local Security Policy > Local Policies > User Rights Assignment and under Allow log on through Remote Desktop Services, it has Administrators and Remote Desktop Users.

He is already part of the Remote Desktop Users group. And even though there weren't any machine names in there, others that VPN to the network and connect to their machines via RDC don't have this same issue and they don't have the VPN laptop machine names in their local User Rights Assignment either.

But I added the machine names for the two VPN laptops anyway.

This didn't fix the issue. He still has to log in 3 times before getting in. He's wanting to not have to login 3 times.

• Edited by JoshS757 Wednesday, September 25, 2019 10:49 AM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 10:48 AM
  • That screenshot looks like Win7, not Win10. Can you confirm that it's Windows 10 and if so what build it is?
    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 11:06 AM
  • Yes, it's Windows 10. That screen is the login screen that pops up before the Windows 10 login screen. It only shows up when unlocking the computer, not on initial login. I think I forgot to mention that.

Windows 10 Enterprise

Version 1803

OS Build 17134.1006

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 1:48 PM
  • could be from a 3rd party tool.
    Is there a value "GinaDLLin key
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\"

Per default, this value does not exist.

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 2:06 PM
  • could be from a 3rd party tool.
    Is there a value "GinaDLLin key
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\"

Per default, this value does not exist.

Nope no key by the name of GinaDLL.

Thursday, September 26, 2019 12:37 PM
  • It would be a value under Winlogon, not a sub-key. i.e. look in the pane on the right.

There's clearly something odd going on as that screenshot has Win7-style buttons and border around the user picture. It's not the Win10 flat style.

Thursday, September 26, 2019 3:08 PM
  • It would be a value under Winlogon, not a sub-key. i.e. look in the pane on the right.

There's clearly something odd going on as that screenshot has Win7-style buttons and border around the user picture. It's not the Win10 flat style.

This is everything under the Winlogon key:

Thursday, September 26, 2019 6:06 PM
  • can you please also post the content of the key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify
    seems to be used by Winlogon Notification Packages

The key is missing on my system, but this might also be because I am not joined to a domain.

Thursday, September 26, 2019 6:56 PM
  • I don't have that Notify key on my computer either, but it's on his. This is all that's in Notify:

However, under Notify is LBTWlgn key, which has this:

And under that is Event which has this:

• Edited by JoshS757 Friday, October 18, 2019 2:55 PM
    Friday, October 18, 2019 2:54 PM
  • That Notify key is also not in any other machine as far as I can see. I've checked 3 others on the same domain. None have Notify key. Even ones that are also remotely connected to through VPN. Maybe this is the cause and I can just delete the key?
    Friday, October 18, 2019 3:00 PM
  • Not sure if it's needed or not, but BleepingComputer has this regarding the stated DLL file:

Friday, October 18, 2019 3:07 PM