Enabling Hyper-V feature in Win8 CP causes failure to boot

Question

• I installed Windows 8 CP x64 and configured a few items, made sure drivers were installed, etc.  Rebooted a few times in the process with no issue.  I took a system restore point and decided to install Hyper-V.  After the install is complete, it reboots and gets hung at the start of the Windows boot process where the beta fish shows up.  The splash screen typically has a circle of dots indicating the something is happening, but that does not appear after installing Hyper-V.  I've left it at that screen for 30 minutes and nothing happened.  I've also tried reloading Windows 8 CP from scratch and then enabling Hyper-V with no go.

Any ideas?

MB: GIGABYTE|GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 Z68
    CPU: INTEL|CORE I5 2500 3.3G
    GPU: On-board
    LAN: On-board
    VT: Enabled

Rich Prescott | Infrastructure Architect, Windows Engineer and PowerShell blogger | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Engineering Efficiency
    @Rich_Prescott
    Windows System Administration tool
    AD User Creation tool

Saturday, March 3, 2012 6:17 PM

Answers

• Figured it out. The USB 3.0 controller (Etron EJ168) on my motherboard (Z68A-D3H-B3) apparently isn't well liked.

Currently I have the controller disabled, but I suspect its just a driver compatibility problem right now. USB 3.0 isn't terribly important to me so I might just leave it disabled...

• Edited by KyleL23 Sunday, March 4, 2012 2:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rich Prescott Sunday, March 4, 2012 3:19 AM
    Sunday, March 4, 2012 2:15 AM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2693144

Chuck Timon Senior, Support Escalation Engineer (SEE) Windows 8 Beta Engineer Microsoft Corporation

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:27 AM

All replies

• I'm having the same problem. It appears to be pretty rare as this and one other post (http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3639-hyper-v-in-windows-8-consumer-preview/page__pid__36691#entry36691) are the only ones I've found so far.

I have similar hardware as the the poster in the other thread, a Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 motherboard and an i5-2500k. Hyper-V enables fine, however both Windows 8 CP, and Windows 8 Server will not finish booting once enabled. Typically it takes a reboot or two in to safe mode (sometimes it fails to boot into safe mode as well) then disabling Hyper-V through powershell before I can get the OS to boot normally. So far I'm leaning towards some sort of hardware issue.

I've confirmed my processor supports Hyper-V (coreinfo.exe -v) and that DEP etc. is turned on in the BIOS. I've tried turing off hardware devices (like onboard nic) etc but nothing seems to fix it.

Anyone else?

• Edited by KyleL23 Sunday, March 4, 2012 12:35 AM
    Sunday, March 4, 2012 12:34 AM
  • Figured it out. The USB 3.0 controller (Etron EJ168) on my motherboard (Z68A-D3H-B3) apparently isn't well liked.

Currently I have the controller disabled, but I suspect its just a driver compatibility problem right now. USB 3.0 isn't terribly important to me so I might just leave it disabled...

• Edited by KyleL23 Sunday, March 4, 2012 2:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rich Prescott Sunday, March 4, 2012 3:19 AM
    Sunday, March 4, 2012 2:15 AM
  • Thanks Kyle!  That was the answer.  I disabled USB3.0 controller, reloaded Windows 8 CP, installed Hyper-V and when I rebooted, it actually came back up!

Rich Prescott | Infrastructure Architect, Windows Engineer and PowerShell blogger | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Engineering Efficiency
    @Rich_Prescott
    Windows System Administration tool
    AD User Creation tool

Sunday, March 4, 2012 3:19 AM
  • I have the same issue and the same solution, but I'd like to note that if you use USB3 more than Hyper-V (but want to keep it installed), you can do hypervisorlaunchtype off also. Just make sure to disable USB3 as stated by Kyle before you turn that back on.

Interestingly, if you do the Windows 8 "shutdown" (as detail in B8 blog, it kept the session 0 in hdd or something), you can boot with hypervisor and USB3. But as soon as you do a full shutdown (e.g. restart) you'll face the same problem. So be careful.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 10:44 PM
  • I'm having the identical problem on Z68XP-UD4 + i7-2600K. Windows 8 with Hyper-V enabled doesn't start. However Hyper-V under Server 2008 R2 is working fine on the same hardware.

I tried to:

1. update drivers to USB3 etron controller (v 1.0.109) - problem persists;

2. disable USB 3.0 controllers in Windows 8 (safe mode) -  problem persists;

3. disable USB 3 controller in BIOS - Windows 8 boots up and hyper-v works.

But it's just a temporary solution for problem. I'd like to have both USB 3 and hypervisor installed and working.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 6:24 PM
  • Same here. Mine is a GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 +i7-2600K. After disabling USB 3.0 in BIOS it works.

This has been definitly the last time I bought a Gigabyte Mainboard.

Friday, March 16, 2012 3:41 PM
  • Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3 and Z68X-UD3P

same problems... ;(

I'm using a fency TI PCIe Adapter for Hewlett-Packard Workstations with 4 ports but it seems the adapter isn't capable to gimme more than USB 2.0 Speed... :(
    With Win 7 ... no worries and full speed... 

Friday, April 27, 2012 6:12 AM
  • Same problem with Gigabyte H61M-D2H-USB3 SOLVED by disable USB3 support. 

P Velachoutakos

Friday, May 11, 2012 10:42 PM
  • This reproduced on Windows 8 Server Beta , and in Windows 8 CP, solved by disable USB3 support.

Thank you.

P Velachoutakos

Friday, May 11, 2012 10:45 PM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2693144

Chuck Timon Senior, Support Escalation Engineer (SEE) Windows 8 Beta Engineer Microsoft Corporation

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:27 AM
  • The problem still persists in Release Preview.
    Sunday, June 3, 2012 1:49 PM
  • I can verify that this problem still exists in Windows 8 Release Preview.

I have a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 1) motherboard, which has the NEC D720200F1 USB 3.0 Chip onboard.
    I experienced the same boot failure after installing Hyper-V until I disabled the USB 3 in the BIOS.

Monday, July 2, 2012 3:17 AM
  • And finally the problem still exists in Server 2012 and Windows 8 RTM. ;(
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:38 AM
  • Same issue with my Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 mobo and Windows 8 Pro RTM 64bit
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:37 PM
  • I wish I had USB3... I am receiving a similar issue with an Intel i3 350M... I just want to play with my Quickbooks!

Saturday, August 25, 2012 1:28 AM
  • Same problem with Windows 8 RTM Pro on Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3R F5.  As temporary solution, disabled USB3 in BIOS .

Nik Govorov

Monday, September 17, 2012 7:28 AM
  • GA-H67MA-USB3-B3 is also affected by this bug. This problem is known since the Windows 8 Beta and still not fixed!!! It's a shame....
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:29 PM
  • Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R v1.6, USB 3.0 PCI Express controller with NEC chip - same problem. Pulled out the card - Hyper-V works fine. Intel DH67EB with built-in USB 3.0 support - no problem! Why Hyper-V is not compatible with different USB 3.0 controller cards?
    Sunday, May 12, 2013 9:45 PM