none
No surround sound from applications

Question

• Seen this topic in various places but no solution so thought I'd post it again.

5.1 speakers all work in "Test" but no application is outputting surround sound, just stereo.  VLC Media Player doesn't even list a 5.1 option.  Realtek audio on an ASUS P5N-D nForce 750i SLI, all drivers are up  to date.

Help!
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 4:27 PM

All replies

• Hi The Stodd, I consider the issue can be caused by audio driver. Since the audio driver is not directly provided by Microsoft, you may need to contact with the audio card manufacturer for the latest audio driver to support surround sound on Windows 7. Thank you for your understanding.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Monday, October 26, 2009 9:39 AM
  • Hi The Stodd, I consider the issue can be caused by audio driver. Since the audio driver is not directly provided by Microsoft, you may need to contact with the audio card manufacturer for the latest audio driver to support surround sound on Windows 7. Thank you for your understanding.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Yet there are customers with Creative 5.1 problems, Soundmax and other card problems AND the test works absolutely fine, so is it really a manufacturer driver problem???

I have logged the problem with Realtek and will post an answer IF/WHEN I get one and it's more helpful.

A serious blight on an otherwise enjoyable new operating system.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 4:15 PM
  • Hi Stodd

I have up dated to windows on my acer laptop and also have no surround sound and because the acer delux arcade will not reinstall it seems as though I now need to buy a media application to play bluray as well, if you find anything help regarding the realtek sourround sound let me know and I will do the same.

Thanks
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 12:27 PM
  • Seen this topic in various places but no solution so thought I'd post it again.

5.1 speakers all work in "Test" but no application is outputting surround sound, just stereo.  VLC Media Player doesn't even list a 5.1 option.  Realtek audio on an ASUS P5N-D nForce 750i SLI, all drivers are up  to date.

Help!
    Yes VLC will show 5.1 (update your player to the newest version). 

It will show it when content HAS more than 2 channels of audio. It won't if the content only has 2 channels. 

Point of fact is that there is very little content out there that does make any meaningful use of surround sound, except movies and games, and even then movies make negligible use of the extra 3-5 speakers you might have attached to your system. 

First, check your devices driver. How is your motherboard connecting to your speakers? amp, or receiver (analog or digital)?

And how do you connect them to your speakers? (digitally; HDMI, Coaxial, or analog?)

I've noticed that digital connections only do stereo regardless of the content and speaker setup.. I can't remember what that is, I know back with Vista I was able to use optical out and got surround sound for movies. But not with Win 7.

exploring wmplayer 12 secure internet sharing
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 9:00 PM
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Yet there are customers with Creative 5.1 problems, Soundmax and other card problems AND the test works absolutely fine, so is it really a manufacturer driver problem???

I have logged the problem with Realtek and will post an answer IF/WHEN I get one and it's more helpful.

A serious blight on an otherwise enjoyable new operating system.
     It isn't a problem with Win 7. You can enjoy surround sound using analog connections. Given the right driver is connected and the computer is connected to the amp, receiver and speakers properly. 

Another questions is are you running x86 or x64 win 7? (so that you have the right driver if one exists)

--

But having said that your speakers work in 5.1 in the tests... that indicates you do not have a problem!

It's whatever applications or games you're expecting to be outputting surround sound. Again, virtually nothing supports surround sound. Especially not random applications. 

Expect to find it only in some games and movies.

Sunday, November 22, 2009 9:01 PM
  • Yes, by Apps I of course do mean Games and Movies (cos I'm gonna complain about not having 5.1 in Excel...), which should but do not play 5.1.  All drivers are up to date and correct for x64 Win 7.  The EXACT same hardware setup worked in XP.  VLC is showing only stereo and related options for files that are 5.1 encoded.

Oh, and LZIM "and even then movies make negligible use of the extra 3-5 speakers you might have attached to your system."  Utter rubbish!  Otherwise why would anyone bother with 5.1!  It makes a world of difference.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 11:07 AM
  • Hi The Stodd.

I've no experience with VLC so I can't help there, and if you have already done the following then please ignore my suggestion. 

If you are looking to get stereo sound source mixed into surround sound (many games are still just surround mixed stereo and pretty much any audio music format is stereo) then you might find this useful.
    I had problems getting surround working on my machine until I realised that telling windows it has 5.1 speakers doesn't also tell it you want surround sound and it leaves things in flat stereo.  On my systems (one using on board audio and one using the Windows built in driver for my C-media PCI card) I had to enable 'speaker fill' in the driver options.

Control panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Sound
    Then click the output option you are using and click properties
    Then on enhancements tab you should be able to enable 'Speaker fill' if you driver supports this.  My creative also enabled CMSS, Surround options etc through here (as well as in it's own mixer programme)  (before I removed it for having the old crack and hiss problems cause by Creative on Nforce boards)

Don't know if this will help with your driver, but might be work a look.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 11:51 AM
  • Yes, by Apps I of course do mean Games and Movies (cos I'm gonna complain about not having 5.1 in Excel...), which should but do not play 5.1.  All drivers are up to date and correct for x64 Win 7.  The EXACT same hardware setup worked in XP.  VLC is showing only stereo and related options for files that are 5.1 encoded.

Oh, and LZIM "and even then movies make negligible use of the extra 3-5 speakers you might have attached to your system."  Utter rubbish!  Otherwise why would anyone bother with 5.1!  It makes a world of difference.
    I'm serious. As serious as you are by asking the question in the first place. 

Surround is predominantly used as satellite speakers to add ambient noise. Virtually nothing critical is put onto these channels making surround virtually useless. I mean it is awesome to have but while no one has it, it isn't a priority movies. Games is a different matter entirely but you'll still find the satellite channels are just for extra ambiance. For getting them to output multichannel IF supported, you have to check the sound options per application. Not all games support surround. (give a list of games you're expecting to have surround, we might be able to see if there is any support and how to enable it)

I defy you to find a single movie with any critical dialog from side or rear channels. 

Meantime, SpeakerFill has made my life a joy in the past 12 hours.. I don't know why I didn't bother to turn it back on... with all these near monthly Win7 re-installations... the mind becomes forgetful.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:08 PM
  • Hi Stodd

My acer has built in dolby home theater, 5.1 cinematic sourround, however the sound only shows two front speakers and only offers 2.1 any ideas, before the os change I had 5.1 and could alter speak distanace and so on but now nope nothing not a sausage.

Thanks a mil
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:12 PM
  • I'm serious. As serious as you are by asking the question in the first place. 

Surround is predominantly used as satellite speakers to add ambient noise. Virtually nothing critical is put onto these channels making surround virtually useless. I mean it is awesome to have but while no one has it, it isn't a priority movies. Games is a different matter entirely but you'll still find the satellite channels are just for extra ambiance. For getting them to output multichannel IF supported, you have to check the sound options per application. Not all games support surround. (give a list of games you're expecting to have surround, we might be able to see if there is any support and how to enable it)

I defy you to find a single movie with any critical dialog from side or rear channels. 

Meantime, SpeakerFill has made my life a joy in the past 12 hours.. I don't know why I didn't bother to turn it back on... with all these near monthly Win7 re-installations... the mind becomes forgetful.

What has critical dialogue got to do with anything???  If I'm watching a 5.1/DTS/Whatever encoded movie and I have a 5.1 setup then I expect my OS or Sound driver (whichever is to fault) to support it.  If there's spinner flying overhead in Bladerunner, I want to hear it fly overhead.  Got a Witch behind me in L4D I want to hear her behind me.  It all worked beautifully in XP, so why not 7?  And I know the games I'm playing support surround from the XP setup.  SO still stuck with stereo in games and media players, but still I get 5.1 in TEST!  I'm sure a fix will miraculously appear in time through some update, but it would be nice for eith M$ or Realtek to take ownership.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:56 AM
  • Well yes Stodd to have what you started with in the first place is almost certainly a basic human instincint if I had wanted 2.1 I would have bought a laptop of a different kind, and trust me compared to this it does make a difference,when you run the compatability report from microsoft it would have be less of a surprise had it told me that my bluray and 5.1 would shall we say become unavailable for a while.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:12 AM