none
Desktop search doesn't work Windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys,

My desktop search doesn't work anymore after updating to Windows 8.1 preview. I updated now to windows 8.1 but I have the same problem. Does anyone has a solution? 

Cheers,

Bodo

• Edited by Bodo Wiegand Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:26 AM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 8:17 AM

Answers

• The feature-name option is not recognized in this context.

I was afraid of something like that happening.  So, assuming that the syntax in W8 is the same as in W7--(I'm still on W7.)--there would be an alternate syntax

/Enable-Feature /FeatureName:<name_in_image> [/PackageName:<name_in_image>]

Enables a specified feature. If the package name is not specified, the
      Windows Foundation package is assumed. Feature names are case-sensitive.

The question is: which package name do we use?  All of them?  Both with the Language and without?   The unspecified component, the base and the shell ones, all 6?

This is an example of what I am disappointed about with the  /get-featureinfo  and  get-packageinfo  commands.   They give us no clues about how the pieces all go together.

E.g., let's guess that the PackageName which told Get-Features that the State was disabled would be one of your *.mum file that we found for the loop and replace the target command in the loop with:

dism.exe  /online  /Enable-Feature  /FeatureName:SearchEngine-Client-Package

/PackageName:%m

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:35 PM
  • Hey guys,

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!

After I enabled the feature my desktop search is working!

dism.exe /online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:SearchEngine-Client-Package

Thanks a lot to everyone!!!!!!!!!

Sunday, November 3, 2013 3:55 PM

All replies

• Hey guys,

Since I updated my Windows 8 to 8.1 preview my desktop search option doesn't work anymore. I tried many things I found in forums but nothing worked. I can not even troubleshoot the problem as it says "windows online troubleshooting is not enabled for this version of windows". Furthermore, if I tried to search in outlook and I am getting the following notice "windows search service is not installed...."

Does anyone has a solution?

Cheers,

Bodo

Friday, October 18, 2013 6:33 AM
  • Does anyone has a solution? 

Is the Troubleshooter any better now?  <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, October 18, 2013 2:34 PM
  • I can not even troubleshoot the problem as it says "windows online troubleshooting is not enabled for this version of windows".

Cheers,

Bodo

• Edited by Bodo Wiegand Saturday, October 19, 2013 11:35 AM
    Saturday, October 19, 2013 11:35 AM
  • Hi Bob

Same problem just with Desktop but no fix here.

I hope we get a fix soon

Saturday, October 19, 2013 11:44 AM
  • Hi,

Press Win+R, type services.msc, open "Services" Window.

Then check if you can find the windows search service in the services list. According to your description, it may be disabled somehow, try to enable it manually.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Sunday, October 20, 2013 7:05 AM
  • Hi,

Please check if you can see the windows search service in services.msc. if you just can see it, make sure it is enabled.

If this issue persists, try SFC command or the following command to get it back to normal:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/3047-sfc-scannow-command-run-windows-8-a.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.

Sunday, October 20, 2013 8:02 AM
  • Thank you you very much for the quick response.

Unfortunately, I cant find windows search services in this list.

Cheers,

Bodo

Sunday, October 20, 2013 7:15 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you very much for your help. Unfortunately, windows search service is not listed. Furthermore I did the SFC command and the other one. No Problems found.

Is there maybe a other solution?

Cheers,

Bodo

Sunday, October 20, 2013 8:32 PM
  • Hi,

I did it already. Unfortunately still the same problem!

Cheers,

Bodo

Monday, October 21, 2013 6:55 AM
  • windows search service is not listed.

In an Administrator Command Prompt (aka elevated cmd window) enter:

sc.exe  qc  wsearch

and

sc.exe  queryex  wsearch

Show us what you get?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, October 21, 2013 3:17 PM
  • Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
    (c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sc.exe qc wsearch
    [SC] OpenService FAILED 1060:

The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sc.exe queryex wsearch
    [SC] EnumQueryServicesStatus:OpenService FAILED 1060:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Cheers Robert!

Monday, October 21, 2013 5:20 PM
  • Hi,

Go to windows feature and programs to check if you disable windows search feature.

Also, does this troubleshooter works for you?

Fix Windows Desktop Search when it crashes or not showing results

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_search

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:58 AM
  • Hi,

Go to windows feature and programs to check if you disable windows search feature.

Also, does this troubleshooter works for you?

Fix Windows Desktop Search when it crashes or not showing results

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_search

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:58 AM
  • C:\WINDOWS\system32>sc.exe qc wsearch
    [SC] OpenService FAILED 1060:

Try Alex's repair.  I was thinking that the service would just be disabled, in which case you could have used  sc.exe config  wsearch  (etc.)  to change that. There is a related command  sc.exe create wsearch (etc.) syntax for making one but I don't know if it should be used in this case.  E.g. why is it completely missing?  This symptom says to me not just that you have something broken (which we can fix) but that you have something that broke it (which we don't know anything about.)

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:01 AM
  • Hey guys,

Thank you for you email. Unfortunately, there is no feature "windows search" shown in windows features.

In addition, the troubleshooter doesn't work, it says "We're sorry, but your operating system is not supported by Microsoft Fix it at this time."

Cheers,

Bodo

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 5:50 AM
  • Hey Alex,

Thank you for you email. Unfortunately, there is no feature "windows search" shown in windows features.

In addition, the troubleshooter doesn't work, it says "We're sorry, but your operating system is not supported by Microsoft Fix it at this time."

Cheers,

Bodo

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 5:51 AM
  • Hi,

You may try to import the default services registry to get it back:

How to Restore Default Services in Windows 8 and 8.1

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9413-services-restore-default-services-windows-8-a.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 10:09 AM
  • Hi Alex,

Thank you very much for your email. After I restored windows search it is listed in the services.msc again.

Unfortunately if I wanna start it I get the following message: <Failed to Read Description. Error Code: 2 >  (the system cannot find the file specified)

I did sfc command as well as the restorehealth one but without any result.

Cheers,

Bodo

• Edited by Bodo Wiegand Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:31 PM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:29 PM
  • Thursday, October 24, 2013 2:20 AM
  • Hi Alex,

You are right! There is no SearchIndex.exe file under winodws\system32 folder.

Cheers, Bodo

Thursday, October 24, 2013 5:57 AM
  • I am having the exact same issues on Windows 8.1 after installing the update today. I was also missing Internet Explorer on the install which I managed to activate through programs and features.
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:59 PM
  • I'm also having this same issue along with some others like Bluetooth not pairing and Photos and Reading List Apps not working at all.

As reported the Windows Search Component doesn't appear in the "Add Windows Components" pane.

Thx!! Hope that someone can help us with this issue!!

Friday, October 25, 2013 9:51 PM
  • Did Internet Explorer dissapear on your reinstall? Mine did and I had to re-activate it through Add Windows Components.

No one has the answer to this problem, and through various searches many people are having this issue.

Monday, October 28, 2013 6:28 PM
  • Hello Alex,

I just wanted to follow up regarding our last step. How can I get a new SearchIndex.exe file?

Thank you very much in advance.

Cheers,

Bodo

Monday, October 28, 2013 8:08 PM
  • No, it is only the search problem. So do you have the same problem?

Cheers,

Bodo

Monday, October 28, 2013 8:09 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm if you can search the related system files in winsxs folder, if so, try to copy it to the system32 folder to check how it works.

You may need this article to check how to replace system file:

Section 2: If the System File Checker tool cannot repair a file.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 12:21 PM
  • Bodo - I think there is a select number of people that are having this problem. We must all have something in common, what that is, is a mystery at this point.

Alex - SearchIndexer.exe is in the WinSxS folder. How do we know what to copy over? I know there are some related .dll's and other related files that work with the search that are also missing but I'm not sure the exact files. Lastly, the system file checker has not found anythign wrong.

• Edited by akybak Tuesday, October 29, 2013 1:20 PM
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 1:17 PM
  • At a minimum I can confirm that following files and their corresponding .dll's were missing.

searchindexer.exe

searchfilterhost.exe

searchprotocolhost.exe

As I mentioned, above I am not entirely sure what else is missing.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 1:19 PM
  • Alex - SearchIndexer.exe is in the WinSxS folder. How do we know what to copy over?

Let's try using dism to find out.

dism.exe  /online  /get-features  |  find  /i  "search"

and then...   /get-featureinfo:<for whatever feature was found>

What do you see with those two commands?

Now, it appears that it is also possible to use dism's  /get-packageinfo:  command but not using any information that dism gives me.  E.g. I had to back up into  %windir%\servicing and do a

dir/a/b/s  *search*.mum

to see that there were some "packages" which referred to this "feature".

Then that suggests trying this loop:

for /F %m in ('dir/a/b/s *search*.mum') do dism.exe /online /get-packageinfo:%m

I don't know how useful that may be.  All it shows me is that the "packages" I found this way are all installed.  It doesn't show me what was installed as a result, e.g. no list of modules.  It also shows there are several kinds of packages but I don't know what that means either.  However, since Language seems to be relevant in some of them, this command may be relevant too:

dism.exe  /online  /get-Intl

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 2:28 AM
  • Hi Robert

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism.exe /online /get-features | find /i "search"
    Feature Name : SearchEngine-Client-Package

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism.exe /online /get-featureinfo:<SearchEngine-Client-Packa
    ge>
    The syntax of the command is incorrect.

and

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
    (c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism.exe /online /get-packageinfo

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 6.3.9600.16384

Image Version: 6.3.9600.16384

Error: 87

This command requires that either the /PackagePath or /PackageName options be sp
    ecified.
    Re-enter the command, specifying one of these options.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

• Edited by Bodo Wiegand Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:05 PM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 8:59 PM
  • Hi Alex, I am getting a bit confused. Which related system files should I copy?

searchindexer.exe

searchfilterhost.exe

searchprotocolhost.exe

?????

Cheers Bodo

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:02 PM
  • C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism.exe /online /get-features | find /i "search"

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism.exe /online /get-featureinfo:<SearchEngine-Client-Package>
    The syntax of the command is incorrect.

You almost had it.  Those brackets were metacharacters I was using to delimit my placeholder.  You successfully replaced my placeholder but left the brackets.

They try to give you a hint about how to investigate the syntax but that is misleading because this works but what they imply does not:

dism.exe  /online  /get-featureinfo  /?

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism.exe /online /get-packageinfo

Was this the only iteration of the loop?  I can understand why there was no data from the dir/b but what happened to the colon?

Note that I mentioned "I had to back up into  %windir%\servicing" to issue the dir command that I use in the for loop.  You need to do that too.  E.g. from the directory you are in (because it is the default directory for an Administrator Command Prompt) enter:

cd  ..\servicing

and then retry the for loop.  Make sure that you leave the colon between the get-packageinfo command and the %m loop variable. 

Hmm... that guess doesn't seem to fit the facts either.  Here I model the essence of the loop at the directory level that you were at and that gives no iterations at all (as we might expect).

C:\Windows\system32>for /f %m in ('dir/b *.mum') do dism.exe /online /get-packageinfo:%m
    File Not Found

It is often a good idea to test a loop on the equivalent comment command:

C:\Windows\servicing>for /F %m in ('dir/a/b/s *search*.mum') do REM dism.exe /online /get-packageinfo:%m

Then once you see that the loop is working properly remove the REM to allow the loop's target command to execute.

Also, since the language factor may be important please don't forget to do the last dism command too to make sure there are no suprises that way:

dism.exe  /online  /get-Intl

FYI

Robert
    ---

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:28 AM
  • Hi Robert,

I got it!

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism.exe /online /get-featureinfo:SearchEngine-Client-Packag

e

Feature Information:

Display Name : Windows Search
    Description : Provides content indexing, property caching, and search results fo
    r files, e-mail, and other content.
    Restart Required : Possible
    State : Disabled

Custom Properties:

SoftBlockLink : http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=142506

The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>cd ..\servicing

C:\Windows\servicing>dir/a/b/s *search*.mum
    C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package-base
    ~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.3.9600.16384.mum
    C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package-base
    ~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.3.9600.16384.mum
    C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package-shel
    l~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.3.9600.16384.mum
    C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package-shel
    l~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.3.9600.16384.mum
    C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package~31bf
    3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.3.9600.16384.mum
    C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package~31bf
    3856ad364e35~x86~~6.3.9600.16384.mum

C:\Windows\servicing>

C:\Windows\System32>for /f %m in ('dir/b *.mum') do dism.exe /online /get-packag
    einfo:%m
    File Not Found

C:\Windows\servicing>REM disnm.exe /online /get-packageinfo:C:\Windows\servicing
    \Packages\Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.
    3.9600.16384.mum

C:\Windows\servicing>for /F %m in ('dir/a/b/s *search*.mum') do dism.exe /online
     /get-packageinfo:%m

C:\Windows\servicing>dism.exe /online /get-packageinfo:C:\Windows\servicing\Pack
    ages\Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package-base~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-
    US~6.3.9600.16384.mum

Package information:

Package Identity : Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package-base~31bf3856ad
    364e35~x86~en-US~6.3.9600.16384
    Applicable : Yes
    Copyright : Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
    Company :
    Creation Time :
    Description :
    Install Client : DISM Package Manager Provider
    Install Package Name : Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package-base~31bf38
    56ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.3.9600.16384.mum
    Install Time : 9/30/2013 3:46 AM
    Last Update Time :
    Name :
    Product Name : Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package-base
    Product Version :
    Release Type : Language Pack
    Support Information :
    State : Staged
    Completely offline capable : No

Custom Properties:

(No custom properties found)

Features listing for package : Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package-bas
    e~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.3.9600.16384

(No features found for this package)

C:\Windows\servicing>dism.exe /online /get-packageinfo:C:\Windows\servicing\Pack
    ages\Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package-base~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.
    3.9600.16384.mum

Package information:

Package Identity : Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package-base~31bf3856ad
    364e35~x86~~6.3.9600.16384
    Company :
    Creation Time :
    Description :
    Install Package Name : Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package-base~31bf38
    56ad364e35~x86~~6.3.9600.16384.mum
    Install Time : 8/22/2013 7:23 AM
    Last Update Time :
    Name :
    Product Name : Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package-base
    Product Version :
    Release Type : Feature Pack
    Support Information :

Custom Properties:

Features listing for package : Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package-bas
    e~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.3.9600.16384

ages\Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package-shell~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en
    -US~6.3.9600.16384.mum

Package information:

Package Identity : Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package-shell~31bf3856a
    d364e35~x86~en-US~6.3.9600.16384
    Company :
    Creation Time :
    Description :
    Install Package Name : Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package-shell~31bf3
    856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.3.9600.16384.mum
    Last Update Time :
    Name :
    Product Name : Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package-shell
    Product Version :
    Support Information :

Custom Properties:

Features listing for package : Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package-she
    ll~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.3.9600.16384

ages\Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package-shell~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6
    .3.9600.16384.mum

Package information:

Package Identity : Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package-shell~31bf3856a
    d364e35~x86~~6.3.9600.16384
    Company :
    Creation Time :
    Description :
    Install Package Name : Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package-shell~31bf3
    856ad364e35~x86~~6.3.9600.16384.mum
    Last Update Time :
    Name :
    Product Name : Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package-shell
    Product Version :
    Support Information :

Custom Properties:

Features listing for package : Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package-she
    ll~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.3.9600.16384

ages\Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.
    3.9600.16384.mum

Package information:

Package Identity : Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package~31bf3856ad364e3
    5~x86~en-US~6.3.9600.16384
    Company :
    Creation Time :
    Description :
    Install Package Name : Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package~31bf3856ad3
    64e35~x86~en-US~6.3.9600.16384.mum
    Last Update Time :
    Name :
    Product Name : Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package
    Product Version :
    Support Information :
    State : Installed

Custom Properties:

Features listing for package : Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package~31b
    f3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.3.9600.16384

ages\Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.3.960
    0.16384.mum

Package information:

Package Identity : Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package~31bf3856ad364e3
    5~x86~~6.3.9600.16384
    Company :
    Creation Time :
    Description :
    Install Package Name : Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package~31bf3856ad3
    64e35~x86~~6.3.9600.16384.mum
    Last Update Time :
    Name :
    Product Name : Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package
    Product Version :
    Restart Required : Required
    Support Information :
    State : Installed

Custom Properties:

Features listing for package : Microsoft-Windows-SearchEngine-Client-Package~31b
    f3856ad364e35~x86~~6.3.9600.16384

C:\Windows\servicing>dism.exe /online /get-Intl

Reporting online international settings.

Default system UI language : en-US
    System locale : en-US
    Default time zone : W. Europe Standard Time
    Active keyboard(s) : 0409:00000409, 0c09:00000409, 0407:00000407
    Keyboard layered driver : PC/AT Enhanced Keyboard (101/102-Key)

Installed language(s): en-US
      Type : Fully localized language.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:10 AM
  • I got it!

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism.exe /online /get-featureinfo:SearchEngine-Client-Packag

e

State : Disabled

Then I think the only thing that is wrong is that the package is marked disabled.

Did using  Enable-Feature not work?   Oh shoot.  I think I may have given you the wrong syntax to try before.   For this one the command is separate and there is another parameter label for the feature name.   (I had to use the help to check this.  Actually I'm checking on W7 which may not be a smart thing to do.)

dism.exe  /online  /Enable-Feature  /Feature-Name:SearchEngine-Client-Package

However, I would have thought that whatever Alex had you do to put Search back in Windows Features would have allowed this to work.  So, I suspect that all we will see here is a new symptom to help explain why trying to use the checkmark in the GUI is not working for you.

Then a next step might be looking at the related files stored in  %windir%\WinSxS.  Unfortunately, they seem to be only loosely linked by the DISM information that we just got.  It looks to me that the designers really don't have all their use-cases figured out for this implementation.   ; }

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, October 31, 2013 3:48 PM
  • C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism.exe /online /Enable-Feature /Feature-Name:SearchEngine-
    Client-Package

The feature-name option is not recognized in this context.
    For more information, refer to the help.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:22 PM
  • The feature-name option is not recognized in this context.

I was afraid of something like that happening.  So, assuming that the syntax in W8 is the same as in W7--(I'm still on W7.)--there would be an alternate syntax

Enables a specified feature. If the package name is not specified, the
      Windows Foundation package is assumed. Feature names are case-sensitive.

The question is: which package name do we use?  All of them?  Both with the Language and without?   The unspecified component, the base and the shell ones, all 6?

This is an example of what I am disappointed about with the  /get-featureinfo  and  get-packageinfo  commands.   They give us no clues about how the pieces all go together.

E.g., let's guess that the PackageName which told Get-Features that the State was disabled would be one of your *.mum file that we found for the loop and replace the target command in the loop with:

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:35 PM
  • Hi Robert,

Thank you very much for tour chick response. Please find below what I am getting now.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism.exe /online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:SearchEngine-C
    lient-Package /PackageName:%m

An error occurred trying to open - %m Error: 0x80070057

An error occurred while processing the command.
    Ensure that the command-line arguments are valid. For more information, review t
    he log file.

Friday, November 1, 2013 7:59 AM
  •  let's guess that the PackageName which told Get-Features that the State was disabled would be one of your *.mum file that we found for the loop and replace the target command in the loop with:

An error occurred trying to open - %m Error: 0x80070057

@ Bodo

Do you not understand what we are trying to do?

Perhaps you should wait for Alex.  He may have access to the source and documentation about how this stuff is supposed to work and then be less speculative about what to try next.

Actually there is something that I can still try on my side.  I have W7 installed as a VM, so I could use it to do these experiments.  I'm on W8 ATM and may not get back to this for a while.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, November 1, 2013 5:39 PM
  • Hi Robert,

Actually not 100%. Do I have to put the "mum" documents at the end? However should we continue or should I wait for Alex to respond?

Cheers,

Bodo

Saturday, November 2, 2013 7:14 PM
  • Do I have to put the "mum" documents at the end?

The idea was to put the new command into the same loop that we used earlier.  Hence, the loop would put the mum documents where they could be used.  That's what the %m is.

However, I have since tried using both the proper UI and DISM on both W7 and W8.1 and everything works very simply; so I as I explained, the most that we could expect from this tack is a different symptom to compare your uses of the UI with.

One thing that I was surprised by with the W8.1 testing is that when the Windows Search component is unchecked (or equivalently disabled by DISM) the Windows Search troubleshooter disappeared!  That negated one of the tests that I had in mind, to see how much the troubleshooter would try to repair that State: Disabled case.

I take it that you don't have a troubleshooter for Windows Search?  Then that would be another symptom which would be consistent with the fact that your Windows Search component (actually set of components) is disabled.

Therefore, instead of messing with the packages, which I still don't understand how they are related to the feature, I suggest we focus more on the symptoms from the two cases that we know should work, namely, using the Windows Features checkbox and using the  DISM  /Enable-Feature command.  Regarding the latter, I think we may have used some incorrect syntax before, so please make sure that you try this again, as is:

dism.exe  /online  /Enable-Feature  /Feature-Name:SearchEngine-Client-Package

As I indicated, that is all that was required to re-enable Search (e.g. fix all of the problem symptoms that you have shown us) on both W7 and W8.  If it doesn't work you can look for clues about why in the logs which are changed by the attempt,  e.g. CBS.log and DISM.log but I think there may be other ones too, especially if something is going wrong during the procedure.  You can use ProcMon to find out for sure, otherwise just do a File Explorer search for all files using DateModified:  for Today.

should we continue or should I wait for Alex to respond?

I captured ProcMon traces for all of my test cases which I haven't analyzed yet.  So I may get some more ideas from that.  Otherwise, Alex's help would be appreciated because this is very much an example of blackbox troubleshooting for me.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, November 3, 2013 2:04 AM
  • Hello all,

I can confirm that I have the same problem with my German Version of 8.1Pro/Media Centre:

- Windows search not running, can't be started manually (error 2 - can't find the file)

- No new index file can be created

- SearchIndexer existing in folder "system32" (date of the file: 22.08.13)

- happened after the Store Upgrade from 8 to 8.1

Best Regards

Markus

Sunday, November 3, 2013 6:56 AM
  • I think that you will be back at the beginning with this reply. The sintax for the command is still wrong and it should be:

dism /online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:SearchEngine-Client-Package

This feature is part of the Windows Foundations package, so the package part of the command can be omitted.

The command below shows help for Enable-Feature command. Remember to open an elevated command prompt in order for this to work and include /all at the end if you accidently disabled some other feature Search engine depends on.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /enable-feature /?

[/Source:<source>] [/LimitAccess] [/All]

Enables the feature specified by the FeatureName command argument.
      You do not have to specify the /PackageName if it is the Windows Foundation Package.
      Otherwise, use /PackageName to specify the parent package of the feature.

Multiple /FeatureName arguments can be used if the features are components in the same parent package.

You can restore and enable a feature that has previously been removed from the  image. Use the /Source argument to specify the location of the files needed to restore the feature. Multiple /Source arguments can be used.
      Use /LimitAccess to prevent DISM from contacting WU/WSUS.
      Use /All to enable all parent features of the specified feature.

Example:
          DISM.exe /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:Hearts /All

DISM.exe /Image:c:\offline /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:Calc
            /PackageName:Microsoft.Windows.Calc.Demo~6595b6144ccf1df~x86~en~1.0.0.0

DISM.exe /Image:c:\offline /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:Feature
            /Source:c:\test\mount

Sunday, November 3, 2013 7:48 AM
  • Hey guys,

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!

After I enabled the feature my desktop search is working!

Thanks a lot to everyone!!!!!!!!!

Sunday, November 3, 2013 3:55 PM
  • The syntax for the command is still wrong and it should be:

dism /online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:SearchEngine-Client-Package

Thanks, Saha

I don't know why I kept inserting that dash in that argument name.  I got it right a few times.  ; )

I wonder why this worked but the GUI method (checking the component in Windows Features) didn't work?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, November 3, 2013 4:47 PM
  • I don't know why I kept inserting that dash in that argument name.  I got it right a few times.  ; )

I wonder why this worked but the GUI method (checking the component in Windows Features) didn't work?

I usually get it wrong while typing because it is so natural for a PowerShell command like parameter :))

I think there is no GUI anymore for Windows search in Windows 8.1. For me it is a mistery that it got disabled during upgrade. I upgraded from Windows 8 and from Windows 8.1 Preview on several computers and haven't experiences anything similar yet.

Sunday, November 3, 2013 5:11 PM
  • Hi All - Thank you for your help and time. This has solved all of my problems.  I am sure others are having the same problem, I hope that they read this form and can solve their issues. It's very strange what happened.

Monday, November 4, 2013 3:31 PM
  • Hey guys,

it might be a bit funny but after my desktop search works I go problems with my MS Outlook search.

Do you guys can help me with that as well?

Cheers,

Bodo

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 8:02 PM
  • I go problems with my MS Outlook search.

I would have more hope of Outlook having diagnostics available for this than keeping trying to find general diagnostics for Windows Search that end users could use to help themselves.  In any case, failing the existence of any explicit documentation about this you can always try resorting to ProcMon to help find out what diagnostics are being created.

Otherwise it would probably help if you would elaborate on your new symptom description "problems with Outlook search".   FWIW all I know is that Windows Search needs to be active in order for Outlook search to work (ditto for IE and its AutoComplete for Favorites option) and that a design requirement in W8 was the removal of messages from the equivalent of W8's Start Menu search.  (In W7 such output was a user-controllable option.)  I don't know if W8.1's new Search Everywhere feature has changed that limitation.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:12 PM
  • So far I have tried all of the recommended "fixes" with no success.  Windows Search will still not start (system cannot find the file specified), and Windows Search is still not appearing in the "Windows Features" menu.

SFC /scannow
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

There is obviously a problem with the 8.1 Upgrade package if this issue is as common as it appears to be.  Loss of Windows Search functionality has a disastrous negative impact on performance with a number of applications, especially when in limbo state (improves when Search service is disabled).  For the vast majority of users they would have no clue what is (or isn't) happening, other than that they are experiencing very annoying system responses.

It's not like we all have hours upon hours to spend figuring out (or not...) these issues on our own. 

Any word on what Microsoft support is doing to resolve the problem?

Thursday, November 7, 2013 4:16 PM
  • My Outlook account and computer took a long time to index. I had to have the program open for a few hours before I could do a proper search again in Outlook. All appears to be working now.
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 4:51 PM
  • magrant69 I am 100% agreeing with you. I have the same exact problem and have to say that I am very upset in the lack of support and assistance by Microsoft in fixing the problem. I have already been in Microsoft Help Desk and a "specialized" technician after going through my computer couldn't resolve the problem and told me to wait until Microsoft releases a "fix". 

Apart of Windows Search not working I have the following issues with Windows 8.1:

• Profiles/User Account problem - I detected this issue trying to solve the Search issue.  I indeed can create a new Local User Account but I can't log into it.  In the Logon Sreen it only shows my current User Account.
    • Bluetooth not pairing - I have the latest Intel drivers and I know that Bluetooth Works via BlackBerry Desktop to sincronize my phone but I just can't get it to pair via Windows
    • Photos and Reading List Apps don´t work - (Possibly linked to Search not working)  When I open them they close in a few seconds.
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:22 PM
  • I have the exact same problem.  Will never again be an early updater of MS software
    Saturday, November 9, 2013 5:55 AM
  • I'm actually surprised there appear to have been no responses to these latest revelations.  But then, maybe everyone gave up.

I also had a number of challenges associated with IE 11 and its new security framework.  Obviously not all the web developers are caught up yet!  I have had to use compatibility view for quite a few sites in order for them to work properly.  That would be okay, but there isn't much help from IE suggesting to use that strategy.

Profiles/User Accounts - I'm not sure that I have encountered that exact same issue, but I have had a couple of surprises with user profiles.  After I updated an Acer tablet, my profile has been fine, but my wife's became corrupted and applications would not run from Start, so I had to delete her profile, create a new one, and then reinstall her Store apps, etc.  Crazy. 

I just don't have time to troubleshoot all these things for Microsoft, and if I found answers, I doubt anyone over there would pay attention!

You cold be right on the Photos and Reading apps - when search isn't running any file-associated apps take a very long time to load - if ever.  Suggestion: Make sure you *Disable* Windows Search in the Services panel.  That will speed up some of the applications quite a bit.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:57 PM
  • I just upgraded to Win 8.1 and search wasn't working.  Spent hours combing Google on the issue...

I finally got it solved for a day at least.. :)  Need more time to really test it...

Solution 1 - Registry Fix 

Solution on page #4, but you can go to page 1 for the full text

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-tms/windows-81-searchindexing-will-not-start-error-2/c8ca129c-11e1-4223-9839-8ba62f345d5e?page=4&tm=1387962176728

Solution #2 - Reindex 

http://blog.vtechsquad.com/2013/11/27/how-to-fix-windows-8-1-search-not-working/

Thursday, December 26, 2013 6:34 AM
  • I had the same problem and thankfully came across this thread; just pasted

into the cmd editor and bingo! Search is now working as is Outlook search. Many, many thanks!

• Edited by Lou Huk Friday, December 27, 2013 11:56 AM
    Friday, December 27, 2013 11:54 AM
  • Thank you for the update! I had to disable and then re-enable in order to make my search work properly.

I ran this and rebooted:

dism.exe /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:SearchEngine-Client-Package

Then ran this and rebooted again:

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 2:36 AM
  • "Windows Search" appears in the services list but status is "stopping".  In Properties, General tab, Service Status options are grayed out.
    Monday, January 27, 2014 4:35 PM
  • Is there a solution that we code-illiterati could implement?
    Monday, January 27, 2014 6:05 PM
  • This worked for me - and I have tried many things, for months, to no avail.

Just to be clear, I am referring to this procedure, which fixed my Windows Search on Windows 8.1:

I ran this and rebooted:
    dism.exe /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:SearchEngine-Client-Package
    Then ran this and rebooted again:

• Proposed as answer by MichaelAWard Sunday, September 14, 2014 9:12 AM
    Sunday, June 22, 2014 8:27 PM
  • Tried that, now I get "No file results found for your search" - which at least is something different I suppose :-)
    Saturday, September 13, 2014 10:02 AM
  • Trying another index rebuild now :-(
    • Proposed as answer by MichaelAWard Sunday, September 14, 2014 9:09 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by MichaelAWard Sunday, September 14, 2014 9:10 AM
    Saturday, September 13, 2014 10:56 AM
  • Ok

after trying this (and then a complete index rebuild)

I got serach working again in Windows 8.1. Yay and thanks! :-)

Sunday, September 14, 2014 9:12 AM
  • On my Windows 8.1 - I cannot even find windows search service on the service list. Any idea how can I enable the search service. My outlook is stuck. it says windows search service not installed. I have tried many different options with no luck.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 5:03 PM
  • Ratan Baid, Start reading from the top of the discussion... the answer is there. Hope that helps.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 7:11 PM