none
Using Multiple XP Mode Instances

Question

• The question has come up in my organization regarding how many instances of Windows XP are you allowed to use when utilizing Windows XP mode in Windows 7. I am having trouble finding a EULA for Windows 7 or Windows XP mode that answers the question. Does anyone have official documentation on the topic?

I am assuming it is technically possible, I just want to make sure it is legally possible. If anyone has documentation on the subject, please let me know.

Don

Thursday, November 18, 2010 3:54 PM

Answers

• END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR MICROSOFT SOFTWARE
    MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP MODE
    (WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL SERVICE PACK 3 IN VIRTUAL HARD DISK IMAGE FORMAT FOR USERS OF WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL, ENTERPRISE AND ULTIMATE EDITIONS)
    IMPORTANT—READ CAREFULLY: This End-User License Agreement (“EULA”) is a legal agreement between you (either an individual or a single entity) and Microsoft Corporation or one of its affiliates (“Microsoft”) for the Microsoft software that accompanies this EULA, which includes computer software and may include associated media, printed materials, “online” or electronic documentation, and Internet-based services (“Software”).  An amendment or addendum to this EULA may accompany the Software. 
    Virtual machine technology enables multiple operating systems to run concurrently on a single physical device, such as a computer, workstation, terminal or other device. The Software contains the Windows XP operating system described above within the Virtual Hard Disk (“VHD”) image format. Virtual machine (“virtualization”) software is required to use the Software.
    YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS EULA BY INSTALLING, COPYING, OR OTHERWISE USING THE SOFTWARE. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE, DO NOT INSTALL, COPY, OR USE THE SOFTWARE; YOU MAY RETURN IT TO YOUR PLACE OF PURCHASE FOR A FULL REFUND, IF APPLICABLE.

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of this EULA:
     1.1 Installation and use.  You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software in a single virtual machine on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device (“Workstation Computer”), that contains a licensed copy of Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate edition.  Virtualization software is required to use the Software on the Workstation Computer.  The Software may not be used by more than two (2) processors at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.

Sounds pretty straight forward to me.  One instance on one computer.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by dwboley Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:20 PM
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:50 PM

All replies

• END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR MICROSOFT SOFTWARE
    MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP MODE
    (WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL SERVICE PACK 3 IN VIRTUAL HARD DISK IMAGE FORMAT FOR USERS OF WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL, ENTERPRISE AND ULTIMATE EDITIONS)
    IMPORTANT—READ CAREFULLY: This End-User License Agreement (“EULA”) is a legal agreement between you (either an individual or a single entity) and Microsoft Corporation or one of its affiliates (“Microsoft”) for the Microsoft software that accompanies this EULA, which includes computer software and may include associated media, printed materials, “online” or electronic documentation, and Internet-based services (“Software”).  An amendment or addendum to this EULA may accompany the Software. 
    Virtual machine technology enables multiple operating systems to run concurrently on a single physical device, such as a computer, workstation, terminal or other device. The Software contains the Windows XP operating system described above within the Virtual Hard Disk (“VHD”) image format. Virtual machine (“virtualization”) software is required to use the Software.
    YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS EULA BY INSTALLING, COPYING, OR OTHERWISE USING THE SOFTWARE. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE, DO NOT INSTALL, COPY, OR USE THE SOFTWARE; YOU MAY RETURN IT TO YOUR PLACE OF PURCHASE FOR A FULL REFUND, IF APPLICABLE.

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of this EULA:
     1.1 Installation and use.  You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software in a single virtual machine on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device (“Workstation Computer”), that contains a licensed copy of Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate edition.  Virtualization software is required to use the Software on the Workstation Computer.  The Software may not be used by more than two (2) processors at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.

Sounds pretty straight forward to me.  One instance on one computer.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by dwboley Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:20 PM
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:50 PM
  • Perfect, thank you!
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:20 PM