none
Cloned Failing SSD to external SSD and cloned drive won't boot RRS feed

• Question

•  I had a failing SSD and cloned it to a larger  SSD via a USB with the new SSD being external at the time.  I installed the new SSD into the laptop and it will not boot without a boot disk in the CD/ROM. 

Gives a Boot Device not found and lists external several times along with unknown error.

I have been through the bootrec fixes and the BCDEDIT without success.

Can this issue be fixed?

How?

Steve in California

Monday, October 19, 2015 11:24 AM

Answers

• I have determined the cause and it was because the SSD was in the secondary Hard Drive location of the HP Pavilion Laptop.  I had disconnected the primary drive because it is a hard drive and I did not want the start /stop while I worked on the freezing issue.  I had been misled by Acronis instructions that stated the hard drive to be cloned to needed to be within the laptop.

After shifting the SSD to the primary drive  location, the requirement of having a boot cd in the drive vanished.

Steve in California

Saturday, October 24, 2015 8:43 AM

All replies

• 1. "CLONE" - what you really did? (Transfer of disk, files, partitions, low level copy like dd... methods, tools?)

2. If you transfer the content of drive that is failing, chances are, that you replicate errors too.

3. Hope you set BIOS startup device correctly.

4. More detailes on error messages is needed.

M.

PS: Hope you preserve original SSD disk to be able to repeat procedure.

Monday, October 19, 2015 11:57 AM
  • Did you clone the entire drive or just the OS partition?  Did you include the hidden boot partition?

I suspect this is the issue given it will boot with a disk in the DVD drive.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Monday, October 19, 2015 12:53 PM
  • What cloning software utility did you use?  It does not sound like you actually cloned the hard drive because all the utilities available for this will ensure the new SSD is bootable and you should not have to take any additional steps to make the new SSD bootable.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, October 19, 2015 3:08 PM
  • Hi,

Since third party clone software frequently cause system corruption and it’s not fixable, we only recommend two ways for system installation on new hard disk: performing a clean install or using windows system image restore and both ways need reactivate Windows 7.

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 2:28 AM
  • I included the hidden boot partition if By hidden boot partition you mean the 199 MB partition?   I used Acronis True Image 2016 to do this.  The original SSD that was failing is no longer available.   I suspect the issue of being during the preboot portion of the boot sequence with the OS portion either flagged as external or lacking something because it was.  

Steve in California

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 12:46 AM
  • I think the problem is the failing SSD. if you have backup your ssd, I suggest you do a restore. if not, you may have to do a fresh install. since you have clone the ssd, you still have your data.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2015 3:00 AM
  • I seriously doubt Acronis True Image is at fault.  The most likely case is the data on your original SSD was sufficiently corrupt to lead to the problems you now experience.  I have cloned numerous HHDs & SSDs with Acronis and have yet to experience any problems.  All the drives I cloned were fully functional before and after cloning.  The cloning process would not set any sort of flag on the new SSD because the process is exactly what is says - a clone or exact replica of the original.

You can try doing a repair install on your current SSD to see if that resolves any problems.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 7:04 PM
  • I have determined the cause and it was because the SSD was in the secondary Hard Drive location of the HP Pavilion Laptop.  I had disconnected the primary drive because it is a hard drive and I did not want the start /stop while I worked on the freezing issue.  I had been misled by Acronis instructions that stated the hard drive to be cloned to needed to be within the laptop.

After shifting the SSD to the primary drive  location, the requirement of having a boot cd in the drive vanished.

Steve in California

Saturday, October 24, 2015 8:43 AM