none
"Windows Installation not Successful. Your previous version of Windows is being restored." RRS feed

• Question

• I received the message "Windows Installation not Successful. Your previous version of Windows is being restored." at end of Windows 8 installation.  I do not know what caused the installation to fail.

I was upgrading from Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1,  to Windows 8.1

Saturday, November 15, 2014 8:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If issue persists, please upload the following log to OneDrive, then paste the download link here for further analysis.

C:\$windows.~bt\Sources\Panther

C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Rollback\setupact.log

C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Rollback\setupact.err

Meanwhile. it's recommend to run a Upgrade Assistant before upgrading to Windows 8.1

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/upgrade-assistant-download-online-faq

You can also remove all unnecessary external device and uninstall the anti-virus programs, then try again.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 2:43 AM

All replies

• due some people experience windows store issue, may I know the current status now?

I hope that it fixed now

• Edited by britishdhez Monday, November 17, 2014 5:26 AM
    Monday, November 17, 2014 5:26 AM
  • Hi,

If issue persists, please upload the following log to OneDrive, then paste the download link here for further analysis.

C:\$windows.~bt\Sources\Panther

C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Rollback\setupact.log

C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Rollback\setupact.err

Meanwhile. it's recommend to run a Upgrade Assistant before upgrading to Windows 8.1

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/upgrade-assistant-download-online-faq

You can also remove all unnecessary external device and uninstall the anti-virus programs, then try again.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 2:43 AM