none
Splwow64.exe prevents 32-bit application from running RRS feed

• Question

• I've been having an issue with one 32-bit application that when launched immediately becomes unresponsive (workstations running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 1903). The wait chain says that it is waiting for splwow64.exe. Splwow64's wait chain claims that it is running normally. I can end the process but the application remains unresponsive (I've read that ending the process is successful for some users). This has been going on for a couple of weeks.

The application in question is Sage Timeslips 2015.

Steps I've taken:

• Uninstall/reinstall application
    • Set to run in Windows 8 compatibility mode
    • Set to run as administrator
    • Set antivirus realtime protection from scanning the application's folder
    • Restart print spooler and clear print spooler
    • Run Windows 10 in safe mode

Support for the application is unavailable. We are in the process of buying a new application, but we need the current one to work in the meantime. This is happening on all workstations, including the server (Windows 2016).

Yesterday, one of our users reported that Outlook 32-bit would not start, and it too was waiting on splwow64. We were able to run Outlook in safe mode as a workaround. This morning Outlook started without issue.

Most frustrating of all, though, is that every so often the application will run, but it is so unreliable that I can't control when our users will be able to enter their time.

Our Windows 10 workstations are mostly up-do-date. I've holding off on approving the latest cumulative updates until after October 15 (I've read they're causing various problems for users).

Anyone have any suggestions? Also, why does this application even need to run when launching an application? It seems to me that it could start when someone actually needs to print something.

• Edited by bg389275 Friday, October 11, 2019 3:38 PM Formatting
    Friday, October 11, 2019 3:37 PM

All replies