none
Getting OS updates pushed to clients RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
     I'm working on SCCM 1706 to deliver OS updates across our estate and have a couple of questions:

1. On client notifications, what does "Download Computer Policy" actually do?

2. If I want a client to check for OS updates which are applicable to it, is the client notification "Evaluate Software Update Deployments" the way to go?

Thanks
    Monday, October 21, 2019 1:14 PM

All replies

•  I'm working on SCCM 1706

This version has been out of support for almost 18 months -- you need to upgrade ASAP.

1. Exactly as it's name implies, it sends a signal to the client(s) and requests that they download and apply the machine policy -- this is exactly the same as the scheduled machine policy or initiating the Machine Policy Retrieval & Evaluation cycle that can be triggered from the Actions tab of the ConfigMgr Control Panel applet.

2. No. All deployments and configuration information is delivered to a client using machine policy. By default, this is refreshed on systems every 60 minutes so unless you are checking on updates deployed to a system within the last 60 minutes, this isn't anything that you need to force. What scenario exactly are you trying to address though?

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Proposed as answer by Dwalsham Monday, October 21, 2019 2:43 PM
    Monday, October 21, 2019 1:48 PM
  • Hi,

Official documentation is also a good place, here is the link to the detailed information of actions under "Client notification". Hope it helps.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/clients/manage/client-notification#client-notification

Best Regards,
    Tina

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 7:18 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going? I just checked in to see if there are any updates. Please feel free to feedback and if the reply is helpful, please kindly click “Mark as answer”. It would make the reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar question.

Thank you for your kindly support.

Best Regards,
    Tina

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 25, 2019 6:58 AM