none
Reinstall/ Update Color Profiles (.icc/.icm Files) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

is there a simple way to update/reinstall an ICC Profile (that is already installed)? With XP, windows explorer, a right click on the icc file offered "Uninstall Profile". Afterwards one could do an "Install Profile". With Win7 (or Vista) a right click on the .icc Profile shows allways "Install Profile". When the profile (same name) is already installed it won't be changed (updated). The only way to update an installed profile is to go to C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color and copy it by hand (needs admin privileges), or to use color control panel to delete it there (quite cumbersome).

Thanks for any hint,

Edgar

• Edited by iron_ed Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:28 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:26 AM

Answers

• Do you require the changing of profiles frequently? Set the system default if not...

I did not find it cumbersome.

Click Start=>type color=>select color management=>select advanced tab=>select change system defaults button...then configure the monitor and the default profile for that user.  6 clicks ?

I do not know another way. Sorry.

• Marked as answer by iron_ed Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:09 PM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:59 PM

All replies

• Click Start and type color management in the search box and select it from the results.

or

Click Start\Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution

find Advanced Properties in blue letters at the low right. Select that. Next select the Color management tab.

There you will find tabs to manage to color profiles Devices, All Profiles, Advanced.  Within Advanced you can point it to ICC profiles at any location. (They should be on the local C:\ drive.) Please note the change system default settings at the bottom.

I still believe one should have administrative permissions.

Any easier?

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:48 PM
  • well, this way I know. As I mentioned it's quite cumbersome: e.g. you will have to find the profile in the list "all profiles" before you can delete it (the sorting order of this list is very strange).

Is there no easy (direct) way to overwrite/reinstall/update an already installed profile?

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:45 PM
  • Do you require the changing of profiles frequently? Set the system default if not...

I did not find it cumbersome.

Click Start=>type color=>select color management=>select advanced tab=>select change system defaults button...then configure the monitor and the default profile for that user.  6 clicks ?

I do not know another way. Sorry.

• Marked as answer by iron_ed Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:09 PM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:59 PM
  • Well, I ask in the name of my customers (I'm an ISV of color profiling software). The customers have to install the profile to use it within eg Photoshop. Since printers are not perfectly stable or if multiple media/ink is used, one has to create/ and install printer profiles quite often...
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:09 PM
  • I can see where that could be a nuisance.

Perhaps in the scripting forum someone could assist. (or a local scripting person) Some Powershell commands may work also.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/scripting

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:24 PM