Edit MBR RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

i just installed Win7 to dual boot alongside vista, problem is the MBR doesnt have an option to boot vista even though i have checked and the Vista partition is still there

any ideas how to edit the MBR and add a line to be able to boot Vista again

Thanks in advance

P.S. if you could tell me what lines to add with Win7 as default booting OS i'd be greatfull
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 11:50 AM

Answers

• Are Your Vista and Win 7 on different partitions of one and the same physical HDD?
    If they are on different HDDs, have You changed the boot sequence in BIOS before
    Win 7 installation? If yes, then, of course, the boot menu knows nothing about the
    existence of Vista, so one is to add Vista entry to it. The easiest way to do this
    is via the freeware EasyBCD. The latter prog has an official version 1.7 and
    non-official beta 2.0 (which resolves more boot problems than v.1.7). To get
    the version 2.0 one is to register himself on the site http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=642.
    • Marked as answer by DazzyB Wednesday, July 15, 2009 4:29 PM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:03 PM

All replies

• Is there an OS selection after the BIOS? Is the BIOS set to display?

Click start>right click>computer>select properties. In the left pane select advanced>start-up and recovery>settings

In the drop-down bar are both operating systems available?

Is the Time to display the operating system(s) checked?

The problem with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:13 PM
  • there is no OS selection screen and no only Win 7 is listed in start up and recovery
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:21 PM
  • Are Your Vista and Win 7 on different partitions of one and the same physical HDD?
    If they are on different HDDs, have You changed the boot sequence in BIOS before
    Win 7 installation? If yes, then, of course, the boot menu knows nothing about the
    existence of Vista, so one is to add Vista entry to it. The easiest way to do this
    is via the freeware EasyBCD. The latter prog has an official version 1.7 and
    non-official beta 2.0 (which resolves more boot problems than v.1.7). To get
    the version 2.0 one is to register himself on the site http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=642.
    • Marked as answer by DazzyB Wednesday, July 15, 2009 4:29 PM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:03 PM
  • yes they are on different partitions but the same physical hard drive

i would prefer to attempt editing the boot menu manualy before resorting to 3rd party software
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:18 PM
  • yes they are on different partitions but the same physical hard drive

i would prefer to attempt editing the boot menu manualy before resorting to 3rd party software

Normally I would agree with you, but in this case EasyBCD is the right answer.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:40 PM
  • i would prefer to attempt editing the boot menu manualy before resorting to 3rd party software

In case of Vista/Win7 this is impossible! Just because
    the text file boot.ini of XP, containing all info about boots
    is replaced now with the binary file boot\bcd placed in the
    root directory of the system partition. The only way to edit
    this file is via command line tool bcdedit.exe by MS (this is
    rather complicated) or GUI based tools like freeware EasyBCD.

As to Your particular situation -- it is rather abnormal.
    If You choosed "Custom install" instead of
    "Upgrade install" and installed Win7
    on the different partition of the same HDD, where Vista
    was installed, then normally the correct dual boot menu
    must be created automatically. But this forum is full
    of complaints like Yours -- with no dual boot menu created
    for some reason. In this situation there is no better tool
    for adding disappeared Vista boot then EasyBCD.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:05 PM