none
HELP with FREE Upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I just received my "Free" upgrade Windows 7.  I don't know what I did wrong, but everything on my hard drive is GONE. I've lost my internet connection, word, excel, mail, pictures, itunes, etc.  

Does anyone have any suggestions? How can I go back to Vista or restore to yesterday? When I looked at the restoring point, because it's looking like I "Formatted" the hard drive, it isn't showing a restore point.

PLEASE HELP.
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 1:18 PM

Answers

• I just received my "Free" upgrade Windows 7.  I don't know what I did wrong, but everything on my hard drive is GONE. I've lost my internet connection, word, excel, mail, pictures, itunes, etc.  

Does anyone have any suggestions? How can I go back to Vista or restore to yesterday? When I looked at the restoring point, because it's looking like I "Formatted" the hard drive, it isn't showing a restore point.

PLEASE HELP.
    Hi

It sounds like you performed a Custom (Clean) installation. This type of installation 'replaces' the current operating system. You will need to reinstall all of your programs with this type of installation.

The other option is Upgrade which retains the programs and all of your files.

NOTE: If you did format the drive before using the Custom install option, you will not be able to recover the previous Vista installation unless you have a full image backup available.

You have a couple of options.

1. You can use the Windows.old folder that is created when you perform a custom install to retrieve all of your important files. This folder saves all of the user files from the previous installation that you can copy to the same folders in the new installation. You will still need to reinstall all of your software programs.

2. You can use the step by step procedure in the following article to remove Windows 7 and recover your Vista installation. How to restore a Windows 7-based computer to a previous Windows installation by using the Windows.old folder

Once this procedure is complete and you are sure all of your programs are still intact, you can then perform the Upgrade install of Windows 7.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 5:21 PM
  • 1. You can choose Delete or Format partitions. If not, the previous files will be saved to a windows.old. Program files, Users and windows folder are saved in this folder. So you can try to check these folders to see if there is any missing file saved in these folders.

2. It is a clean system except the windows.old folder. If there is no important files in the folder, delete it and you will get a clean system.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:47 AM

All replies

• You might wait a while and see if someone more knowledgeable than I answers.

Not only do you not know what you did wrong, we don't either because of a lack of details in your post. However, if you really did format the hard drive, your personal files are g-o-n-e. I'm a little curious though. How do you know everything on your hard drive is gone? If everything is gone then the computer will not start. But, just because the computer will not start doesn't mean everything is gone.

If you respond, you may want to include some details about just what you did AND how you know everything is gone. It is important because an unsuccessful installation attempt may have saved your files. A disk format forces you to rely on your backed up files, assuming that you did back up at some point.
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 5:06 PM

PLEASE HELP.
    Hi

It sounds like you performed a Custom (Clean) installation. This type of installation 'replaces' the current operating system. You will need to reinstall all of your programs with this type of installation.

The other option is Upgrade which retains the programs and all of your files.

NOTE: If you did format the drive before using the Custom install option, you will not be able to recover the previous Vista installation unless you have a full image backup available.

You have a couple of options.

1. You can use the Windows.old folder that is created when you perform a custom install to retrieve all of your important files. This folder saves all of the user files from the previous installation that you can copy to the same folders in the new installation. You will still need to reinstall all of your software programs.

2. You can use the step by step procedure in the following article to remove Windows 7 and recover your Vista installation. How to restore a Windows 7-based computer to a previous Windows installation by using the Windows.old folder

Once this procedure is complete and you are sure all of your programs are still intact, you can then perform the Upgrade install of Windows 7.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 5:21 PM
  • About Custom Clean installation from upgrade media

A  question:

Does the custom clean installation allow

1. A format and partitioning of entire hard disk?

2. Does it give one a completely new registry?

Please help
    Monday, November 9, 2009 1:04 AM
  • 1. You can choose Delete or Format partitions. If not, the previous files will be saved to a windows.old. Program files, Users and windows folder are saved in this folder. So you can try to check these folders to see if there is any missing file saved in these folders.

2. It is a clean system except the windows.old folder. If there is no important files in the folder, delete it and you will get a clean system.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:47 AM
  • Thank You Shaon.

That was nice to know as my present VISTA installation had some irritants in the registry.

I am still waiting though for my upgrade media to arrive.

Estimated ship date was 31.10.09. any one else experiencing such delays? I purchaed the original VISAT Home Premium from Dell.

TYhanjks again

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:03 PM
  • You can try contact vendor to see if there is any information about the media.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:26 AM
  • all   i can say is  u can reboot  same  program u started out with  it not hard   try that  and u should get everything back or try   that system restore  that  will also  bring back ur   programs just go back to ur last  restore  and click it  and it should  get  back to  the same  screen u had
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 7:25 AM
  • hey ronnie vernon   i gotta    question  that  i hope u can help with  i  gotta  upgrade     on this laptop and  when we  purchased  are laptop  we never gotta   disc   that  cam with computer  so   we  have windows  vista  7  ULTIMATE   so    if we  dont have a  upgrade   disc   whats  your  idea  to fix   this  cituation  if u can e maill  me  its  i also  have   skype thats   IF U  can  e   maill me   we  can chat  or u can  call me  cause  i really need  help  with my  computer  thanks

Saturday, September 25, 2010 7:33 AM