none
Windows 7 Remote Desktop to Windows XP Pro x64 Disconnects frequently- Error: Source TermDD, Event ID 50 RRS feed

• Question

• Suddenly a laptop running Windows 7 Disconnects frequently when using Remote Desktop to  connect to a Windows XP Pro x64 

This is the only relative error I can find- and it's on the XP Machine (acting as the 'server' in this case)-

Source: TermDD

Event ID: 50

Category: None

Description:
    The RDP protocol component "DATA ENCRYPTION" detected an error in the protocol stream and has disconnected the client.

I've looked at the KB Articles-including

969084 :Which doesn't appear to apply to XP x64 machines.

323497 - For Windows 2000/2003 Term Services

I've also checked the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\FipsAlgorithmPolicy and verified it is set to Enabled 0.  On both machines.

Like i said, this laptop was able to connect and STAY connected fine until around July 8th.   I'm assuming it has to do with the Windows 7 machine getting a windows update that must have changed something on the back end.

Feedback is appericated

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

From your post, I know that the connection to the Windows XP via Remote Desktop wasn’t stable. And you find error message “The RDP protocol component "DATA ENCRYPTION" detected an error in the protocol stream and has disconnected the client” on Windows XP machine. You have tried the steps on KB articles 969048 and 323497, and also checked the related registry key. This issue happened after your Windows 7 install an update.

Regarding current situation, would you please let me know the full name and number of the Update you mentioned? Refer to this information, we can know which detailed changes the update made in your system.

Then, I would like to clarify with you whether you have also done the steps under “Let me fix it myself” in KB article 323497? Since most of times, these steps can be the solid solution to fix such error. If not, please try these steps to change registry keys and check the issue again.

If the issue still persists, I suggest we restore the system back before July 8<sup>th</sup> to check the issue Since the issue happened after we installed the update, and after checking the detailed information of this update, I will help you to reinstall it manually to make sure all things can be done properly.

System Restore

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/products/features/system-restore

Please let me know whether your remote desktop can work fine after system restore.

Please take time to perform the troubleshooting steps and let me know the results.

Thanks for your cooperation and keep post.

Best Regards, StarSprite

Thursday, August 1, 2013 2:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

From your post, I know that the connection to the Windows XP via Remote Desktop wasn’t stable. And you find error message “The RDP protocol component "DATA ENCRYPTION" detected an error in the protocol stream and has disconnected the client” on Windows XP machine. You have tried the steps on KB articles 969048 and 323497, and also checked the related registry key. This issue happened after your Windows 7 install an update.

Regarding current situation, would you please let me know the full name and number of the Update you mentioned? Refer to this information, we can know which detailed changes the update made in your system.

Then, I would like to clarify with you whether you have also done the steps under “Let me fix it myself” in KB article 323497? Since most of times, these steps can be the solid solution to fix such error. If not, please try these steps to change registry keys and check the issue again.

If the issue still persists, I suggest we restore the system back before July 8<sup>th</sup> to check the issue Since the issue happened after we installed the update, and after checking the detailed information of this update, I will help you to reinstall it manually to make sure all things can be done properly.

System Restore

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/products/features/system-restore

Please let me know whether your remote desktop can work fine after system restore.

Please take time to perform the troubleshooting steps and let me know the results.

Thanks for your cooperation and keep post.

Best Regards, StarSprite

Thursday, August 1, 2013 2:53 AM
  • I have looked at the KB 323497 article and verified the keys in that setup are as such. Even though

I got my hands on the laptop, and actually found that the updates hadn't been installed until 7/10/2013- which was two days after this issue first started happening so I'm now thinking this was not a factor.

Unfortunately the System Restore on the Windows 7 Laptop only goes back to 7/10/2013 - (when the updates were done, but when the issue had already started occurring) this is is not a option either.

Desiree Overcast Information & Technology Consultant Email: dovercast@pbswest.com

Monday, August 5, 2013 9:03 PM