none
Buy 2nd Vista license!

Question

• Hi all - I am not sure where to put this question so I'll just ask here.

I purchased vista from BestBuy about 6 months ago and now I want to install it on my laptop as well.
    The problem is I can't seem to find out how to get an additional license.

I went to the website and entered my product id from the box and it says it's invalid.
    I called and the lady said she couldn't create a new key.. WTF?

How hard is it to get this done .. Does anyone know what I need to do; I would really appreciate the help!
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 1:23 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

We should use one key on one computer. If you need to install Windows Vista on a second computer, you need to buy a new product key.

You can contact your local Microsoft Customer Service for detailed information.

www.microsoft.com/worldwide

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, January 19, 2009 3:06 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

We should use one key on one computer. If you need to install Windows Vista on a second computer, you need to buy a new product key.

You can contact your local Microsoft Customer Service for detailed information.

www.microsoft.com/worldwide

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, January 19, 2009 3:06 AM
  • Hi thanks for the reply -

I did try to contact them, but they say they are unable to pull up any offers for my product ID. What in the world does that mean?
    It suprised me it is this painful to buy additional licenses.

Saturday, February 21, 2009 1:32 PM
  •  Have you read this page yet?
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/get/licensing.aspx

But, to be completely blunt:
    The discount is only (typically) 10% off of the normal Retail package price.  With Home Premium going for $229 (retail package, checked at NewEgg; BB wants $239), it's almost silly to buy an additional license for $206-$215.
    If you're not planning on transferring that second license to another computer, I'd suggest buying an OEM System Builder copy, instead - Home Premium is only $99 that way.

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Edited by Chris Cupler Sunday, February 22, 2009 12:46 AM fix link
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 12:36 AM