none
Unable to manage VMs - The computer 'localhost' failed to perform the requested opperation. RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to manage any VMs on 2 Hyper-v hosts using Hyper-v manager.  Hosts are named h01 and h02.  They were both running Windows Server 2008 Enterprise before this.
    Progression at this point:
    1. User reported trouble with VM on h02
    2. I tried to connect to that VM from the host machine and got this error;
           "An error occurred while attempting to launch the Virtual Machine Connection application for the selected virtual machine."
    3. Tried to stop the VM and got this error:
         "The computer 'localhost' failed to perform the requested opperation"
    I got this error whenever I tried to do anything to any VM on the host...ie: view settings, start, stop, etc.
    The CPU usage showed 0% and the Uptime was frozen at some time that appeared to be accruate.  When I refresh the view, the CPU usage says frozen at 0%, but the uptime updates to show the correct amout of time to that point.
    All of the VMs on the host were running, and I could connect to them remotely.  There appeared to be no problems with any of their functioning with the exception of the VM that was reported by the user.  That VM could not be remotely controled.

4. A trial installation of System Center Virtual Machine Manager was installed on this host. We had not used it yet.  We always used Hyper-v Manager, so I uninstalled it at this point.
    After that install, the Hyper-V Networking Management Service and the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management services would not start.  They gave an error about missing files.

5. I then installed Windows Server2008 Service Pack 2.  This did not change anything.

6. I then removed the Hyper-v role, and re-added it.  This reinstalled the services, and they are running now.

After re-adding the role, all of VMs on the box are in a state of "Saved" and I can not start any of them.  I still get the error "The computer 'localhost' failed to perform the requested opperation" when trying to do anything with the VMs.

It was at this point that I realized that I have the same issue on h01.

The VMs on h01 are used heavily, and I don't want to mess with that host untill I can solve the problem on h02.  The VMs on h02 are mostly test machines, and this causes a problem for only the users that use those, and not our whole organization.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 3:53 PM

Answers

• The issue is resolved...I don't know how the configuration data got corrupted, but it did.

I searched for each .xml configuration file, and looked for the number of processors and Memory for each machine.

I stopped the Hyper-V services, and deleted the corrupted .xml config files.  I then started the services again.  This process removed the VMs that were no longer manageable from the Hyper-V Manager interface.

I had to manually merge some of the snapshots with thier parent .vhd files to get the .vhd-s squared away.

I then manually recreated the VMs with the .vhd drives, and the correct number of processors and amount of memory.

Back in business, but I would LOVE to know why BOTH machines got corrupted files at the same time.

I was told that doing it this way would give me trouble with software activation, but no troubles with that so far...I will note it here if I have trouble later.

BTW...It is REALLY important to shut down the VMs gracefully if AT ALL possible before removing SCVMM or removing the Hyper-V role!!!  It wasn't possible for me, but it would be good to export all VMs that you can before all of this...that way you only need to delete the config files for the VMs you HAVE to...This really caused me a lot of pain when it came to merging the .vhd and .avhd files later, and I am REALLY lucky it all worked out.
    • Marked as answer by ShadwSrch Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:03 AM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:03 AM

All replies

• Here is a strange development....
    I can start 1 VM on h02...no Idea why just 1...

other information that may help:
    I changed the domain membership on these servers recently (last 30 days)...I changed the membership on the host, and about 1/2 of the VMs
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:18 PM
  • Hi,

it's interesting because i have the same problem since yesterday on 2 machines and i can't find any solutions for this problem.

I restarted the host and when he was back running 1 VM was completly gone and the .vhd file was destroyed (managed to get the VM back but when i try to start it i always gettin a BSOD) and 2 VMs are in a state of "saved" or before in "running" but arn't responding to any command.

Is there anyone out there who knows why?

Best regards
    Enyac
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:10 PM
  • The issue is resolved...I don't know how the configuration data got corrupted, but it did.

I searched for each .xml configuration file, and looked for the number of processors and Memory for each machine.

I stopped the Hyper-V services, and deleted the corrupted .xml config files.  I then started the services again.  This process removed the VMs that were no longer manageable from the Hyper-V Manager interface.

I had to manually merge some of the snapshots with thier parent .vhd files to get the .vhd-s squared away.

I then manually recreated the VMs with the .vhd drives, and the correct number of processors and amount of memory.

Back in business, but I would LOVE to know why BOTH machines got corrupted files at the same time.

I was told that doing it this way would give me trouble with software activation, but no troubles with that so far...I will note it here if I have trouble later.

BTW...It is REALLY important to shut down the VMs gracefully if AT ALL possible before removing SCVMM or removing the Hyper-V role!!!  It wasn't possible for me, but it would be good to export all VMs that you can before all of this...that way you only need to delete the config files for the VMs you HAVE to...This really caused me a lot of pain when it came to merging the .vhd and .avhd files later, and I am REALLY lucky it all worked out.
    • Marked as answer by ShadwSrch Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:03 AM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:03 AM
  • This is a total pain.  I had this same issue.  I agree with the graceful shutdown part.  My issue was that after deleting the xml and recreating the machine, all the domain ties were broken.  So I had to take it out of the domain and rejoin.  Just more time.  This was with one that didn't have any snapshots, so I'm hoping my next one is as smooth.  We shall see.
    Monday, September 12, 2011 4:13 PM