none
Does Windows 10 Enterprise require a domain to function. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are looking to setup a test computer at our home office that will be running Windows 10 Enterprise. We only need to have the one computer running Enterprise here in our lab. The test computer can not be linked to a network for security reasons. Does Windows Enterprise require a domain in order for it to operate, or can I use it as I am the Windows 10 Pro that is installed now.

I am assuming I do not need the domain setup as I have seen many sites telling me how to link an Enterprise computer to a domain while I have been attempting to research this.

Thanks,

NC

Monday, September 16, 2019 4:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There is no need to require a domain in order for Windows 10 Enterprise to operate.

When running Windows 10 setup from enterprise media, one of the options presented is to choose how you’ll connect Windows to your organization.

The “join a domain” option doesn’t actually join a domain at all – indeed, once you’ve elected to join a domain you can switch to signing in with a Microsoft account as well as adding a workplace or school account, changing sign-in options, joining/leaving a domain and/or joining/leaving Azure AD.

Hope above information can help you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by NCCNI Tuesday, September 17, 2019 2:09 PM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 3:41 AM

All replies

• Hi NC.

If you just need to test that Windows 10 edition, you do not need that PC to be joined to a domain.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Monday, September 16, 2019 6:52 PM
  • Hi,

There is no need to require a domain in order for Windows 10 Enterprise to operate.

When running Windows 10 setup from enterprise media, one of the options presented is to choose how you’ll connect Windows to your organization.

The “join a domain” option doesn’t actually join a domain at all – indeed, once you’ve elected to join a domain you can switch to signing in with a Microsoft account as well as adding a workplace or school account, changing sign-in options, joining/leaving a domain and/or joining/leaving Azure AD.

Hope above information can help you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by NCCNI Tuesday, September 17, 2019 2:09 PM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 3:41 AM