none
"Unable to select TWAIN source" - Canon LIDE 25 scanner issue

Question

• Hi.  I had been running Windows 7 Ultimate RC, since July.  When I plugged in my scanner, it went and found the correct software (CanoScan Toolbox), and my scanner worked perfectly. 

This weekend I installed Windows 7 Pro.  When I plugged in the same scanner...nothing happened.  So I installed the CanoScan toolbox, using the setup CD that came with the scanner.  I didn't think much of it.  Subsequently, I pushed a button on the scanner, and Windows Fax and Scan opened, and the scanner made a terrible noise.

When I open the CanoScan toolbox, and try to scan, it says "unable to select TWAIN source."  I have tried the troubleshooter, downloaded the driver and the entire CanoScan program (for 64-bit Vista) from Canon's website, and tried many other fixes. 

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Monday, September 21, 2009 1:43 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I know that you've already managed to solve the problem yourself; here you might keep the following method as the reference if you encounter the same issue in the future.

According to the description, you should add c:\WINDOWS\twain_32\CNQLxx (xx is the number of your scanner) to the PATH environmental variable.

To change your PATH variable, go to Contorl Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables button and then New a path for your scanner in the System Variables window.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:40 AM
    Monday, September 21, 2009 4:02 AM

All replies

• I managed to get it working.  I am not entirely sure what caused it to work, I kept trying different "Vista" downloads from Canon's website.

Thanks.
    Monday, September 21, 2009 3:21 AM
  • Hello,

I know that you've already managed to solve the problem yourself; here you might keep the following method as the reference if you encounter the same issue in the future.

According to the description, you should add c:\WINDOWS\twain_32\CNQLxx (xx is the number of your scanner) to the PATH environmental variable.

To change your PATH variable, go to Contorl Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables button and then New a path for your scanner in the System Variables window.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:40 AM
    Monday, September 21, 2009 4:02 AM
  • I know you posted this over a year ago but I was having terrific issues getting my Lide 25 working with PaperPort 12.1

After umpteen uninstalls, reinstalls, reboots etc etc I found your post and hey presto all working ok.

Much appreciated.

Iain

Friday, December 03, 2010 4:31 PM
  • Hi Andy,

I also ran into the problem of the TWAIN Driver getting disconnected from the Canon Toolbox and Adobe Acrobat using Win 7 (x64) and a Canon LiDE 500F scanner.  Your solution fixed both disconnects!!

Thank you for posting this.  It saved me from buying a new scanner.

Best wishes,

Don Burtis

Sunday, January 23, 2011 10:07 PM
  • Hi,

Good luck for me to found the solution here. Many thanks to everyone.

I confused by this problem so much time.

Maybe it is the bug of the driver of canon lide 25?

Best wishes,

Arthur Lee

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:14 PM
  • Hi

I have the same problem with my CanoScan 3200F (Win 7 Home Premium) It all worked until I reinstalled the whole computer, then the problem started, Unfortunately the designated method helps not, does anyone have other ideas for a solution? 

Regards 

Mort1s1

Monday, December 26, 2011 11:59 AM
  • Does not work for me :-( Ideas?

(Win8 64 bit, Lide 25...)

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 11:38 AM
  • Thanks  worked great , tell the kids  not to forget the semi colon in front of the entry  ; C:\Windows\twain_32\CNQLXX
    Tuesday, June 04, 2013 2:21 PM
  • install canon lide 60 drivers and tell canon toolbox to use lide 60 scanner
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 11:02 AM
  • Hi

Had the same error, the solution that worked for me, is in the below video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYQKh8WkAKE
    Enjoy scanning :)

Sunday, January 05, 2014 6:37 PM
  • Hi

had this same error but nothing no fixes i found on line fixed the issue until i discovered i was being very stupid!!!

the Canoscan range has a switch under the front edge to lock the scanning bar in place, if this lock is engaged it will produce the same error. once i "unlocked" it all worked fine.

Thursday, February 13, 2014 11:26 AM
  • Hi

Marc from Russia write this solution and work for me.

Download the following drivers from Canon Russia, canon.ru, (search driver CanoScan Lide 25). You are going to find the drivers for 32 and 64 bits and the utility CanonSacan Toolbox. Install both and work.

Sunday, May 04, 2014 2:35 AM
  • "According to the description, you should add c:\WINDOWS\twain_32\CNQLxx (xx is the number of your scanner) to the PATH environmental variable."

Works on Win7 64-bit in case of problem with TWAIN source. Scanner Canon LiDE25.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 7:20 AM
  • i know it's been years, but i had this problem and by mistake, i didn't add the C:\...... but instead i changed it into C:\........ what do i do?
    Tuesday, October 14, 2014 4:39 PM
  • This solution works for Windows 10, too:

- Plugin Canon Lide 25

- Install "TWAIN Driver - LiDE 25 Scanner Driver Ver. 11.0.1.1a (Windows 7 x64/Vista64) "

- Install "CanoScan Toolbox Ver. 4.9.3.2 (Windows 7/7 x64/Vista/Vista64/XP/2000/Me/98) "

- Set the PATH Environment variable

Thanks for sharing the solution with the PATH environmet. It saved me from buying a new scanner

• Edited by ThomasMuc2 Saturday, August 01, 2015 8:34 PM
    Saturday, August 01, 2015 8:32 PM