none
"Unable to select TWAIN source" - Canon LIDE 25 scanner issue

Question

• Hi.  I had been running Windows 7 Ultimate RC, since July.  When I plugged in my scanner, it went and found the correct software (CanoScan Toolbox), and my scanner worked perfectly. 

This weekend I installed Windows 7 Pro.  When I plugged in the same scanner...nothing happened.  So I installed the CanoScan toolbox, using the setup CD that came with the scanner.  I didn't think much of it.  Subsequently, I pushed a button on the scanner, and Windows Fax and Scan opened, and the scanner made a terrible noise.

When I open the CanoScan toolbox, and try to scan, it says "unable to select TWAIN source."  I have tried the troubleshooter, downloaded the driver and the entire CanoScan program (for 64-bit Vista) from Canon's website, and tried many other fixes. 

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Monday, September 21, 2009 1:43 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I know that you've already managed to solve the problem yourself; here you might keep the following method as the reference if you encounter the same issue in the future.

According to the description, you should add c:\WINDOWS\twain_32\CNQLxx (xx is the number of your scanner) to the PATH environmental variable.

To change your PATH variable, go to Contorl Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables button and then New a path for your scanner in the System Variables window.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:40 AM
    Monday, September 21, 2009 4:02 AM

All replies

• I managed to get it working.  I am not entirely sure what caused it to work, I kept trying different "Vista" downloads from Canon's website.

Thanks.
    Monday, September 21, 2009 3:21 AM
  • Hello,

I know that you've already managed to solve the problem yourself; here you might keep the following method as the reference if you encounter the same issue in the future.

According to the description, you should add c:\WINDOWS\twain_32\CNQLxx (xx is the number of your scanner) to the PATH environmental variable.

To change your PATH variable, go to Contorl Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables button and then New a path for your scanner in the System Variables window.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:40 AM
    Monday, September 21, 2009 4:02 AM
  • I know you posted this over a year ago but I was having terrific issues getting my Lide 25 working with PaperPort 12.1

After umpteen uninstalls, reinstalls, reboots etc etc I found your post and hey presto all working ok.

Much appreciated.

Iain

Friday, December 03, 2010 4:31 PM
  • Hi Andy,

I also ran into the problem of the TWAIN Driver getting disconnected from the Canon Toolbox and Adobe Acrobat using Win 7 (x64) and a Canon LiDE 500F scanner.  Your solution fixed both disconnects!!

Thank you for posting this.  It saved me from buying a new scanner.

Best wishes,

Don Burtis

Sunday, January 23, 2011 10:07 PM
  • Hi,

Good luck for me to found the solution here. Many thanks to everyone.

I confused by this problem so much time.

Maybe it is the bug of the driver of canon lide 25?

Best wishes,

Arthur Lee

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:14 PM
  • Hi

I have the same problem with my CanoScan 3200F (Win 7 Home Premium) It all worked until I reinstalled the whole computer, then the problem started, Unfortunately the designated method helps not, does anyone have other ideas for a solution? 

Regards 

Mort1s1

Monday, December 26, 2011 11:59 AM
  • Does not work for me :-( Ideas?

(Win8 64 bit, Lide 25...)

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 11:38 AM
  • Thanks  worked great , tell the kids  not to forget the semi colon in front of the entry  ; C:\Windows\twain_32\CNQLXX
    Tuesday, June 04, 2013 2:21 PM
  • install canon lide 60 drivers and tell canon toolbox to use lide 60 scanner
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 11:02 AM
  • Hi

Had the same error, the solution that worked for me, is in the below video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYQKh8WkAKE
    Enjoy scanning :)

Sunday, January 05, 2014 6:37 PM
  • Hi

had this same error but nothing no fixes i found on line fixed the issue until i discovered i was being very stupid!!!

the Canoscan range has a switch under the front edge to lock the scanning bar in place, if this lock is engaged it will produce the same error. once i "unlocked" it all worked fine.

Thursday, February 13, 2014 11:26 AM