none
Searching with quotes and spaces not working right? RRS feed

• Question

• I asked this in another forum but have not received a good answer or solution.
    Running W10 desktop PC with all WU applied.

This problem is affects all searches I have done whether in Bing, Google, or even Outlook.

I want to search for a character string that is an exact match.  But I want that string of characters to contain adjacent spaces.

I search for "dog food"  or "  dog food" or "dog food     "   but the searches always ignore my multiple spaces.  I need for the spaces to be honored by whatever search I am doing.  How can I make search work to honor the typed in spaces?  Do I need to code some special or secret character to use instead of typing in an actual space?  What to do?    

I am surprised that I am unable to find an answer to this puzzle online.

Monday, September 3, 2018 4:59 PM

Answers

• for your problem with posting from an Android Phone: I have to switch to "Request Desktop site" in Chrome, or I get the same spinning dots, too.
    • Marked as answer by cwr64 Thursday, September 6, 2018 3:42 PM
    Thursday, September 6, 2018 3:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    As I know, this is a by design issue. The spaces before and after the string in quotes are invalid.  It depends on the algorithm of the search engine.

Hope it could be helpful.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 4, 2018 11:53 AM
  • @David..  I tried to reply using my Android 7 phone but the reply/submit window kept spinning and did not launch the keyboard.  That was in both Chrome and Dolphin browsers, and I have no ad blockers installed on my phone.  If you know why this happened please let me know.  I am now on my PC.

@anyone..  If you know of any search application (certainly not Google or Bing) that will honor my use of quotes, and extra spaces in the search string, please reply to let me know.   Some search algorithm out there ought to support this kind of search string.  

• Edited by cwr64 Tuesday, September 4, 2018 1:48 PM add a word
    Tuesday, September 4, 2018 1:47 PM
  • @David..  I tried to reply using my Android 7 phone but the reply/submit window kept spinning and did not launch the keyboard.  That was in both Chrome and Dolphin browsers, and I have no ad blockers installed on my phone.  If you know why this happened please let me know.  I am now on my PC.

Did this problem happen occasionally? Sometimes the problem may be related to the network environment, you can change to other network environment to test. Also, check if the issue persists on other phone which belongs to the same network.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 6, 2018 8:50 AM

• Did this problem happen occasionally? Sometimes the problem may be related to the network environment, you can change to other network environment to test. Also, check if the issue persists on other phone which belongs to the same network.

My wife's iPhone worked OK.  Also, on cell connection (which may have no part in this at all), on my Android phone the reply worked OK on Firefox
    this morning but on Chrome and Dolphin it seems to not work.   One more thing - I don't know why this text is so small.  I see nothing to click on to make it larger.  At the top of this box there are icons for Bold, Italics, and Underline, etc..but nothing for font or text size.  How do I control the text size of characters I am typing?

@anyone..  If you know of any search application (certainly not Google or Bing) that will honor my use of quotes, and extra spaces in the search string, please reply to let me know.   Some search algorithm out there ought to support this kind of search string.  

Thursday, September 6, 2018 2:26 PM
  • for your problem with posting from an Android Phone: I have to switch to "Request Desktop site" in Chrome, or I get the same spinning dots, too.
    • Marked as answer by cwr64 Thursday, September 6, 2018 3:42 PM
    Thursday, September 6, 2018 3:40 PM

Thanks to EckiS for answer about the spinning dots.

One more thing - I don't know why this text is so small.  I see nothing to click on to make it larger.  At the top of this box there are icons for Bold, Italics, and Underline, etc..but nothing for font or text size.  How do I control the text size of characters I am typing?

xx It is now 9/9 and nobody has been able to furnish an answer to my search question or my question about changing text size in my forum entry.
    • Edited by cwr64 Sunday, September 9, 2018 1:55 PM bump?
    Thursday, September 6, 2018 3:44 PM