none
Help -After deploy with imagex - BOOTMGR IS MISSING - Press ctrl alt canc

Question

• Hi,

I have customizate a Windows Vista Enterprise, with 2 partitions, one of 2Gb Active for a Bitlocker and an other with Vista.

After i have capturate with the usb Winpe bootable, the image with imagex:

imagex /capture /compress maximum c:  z:\test.wim  "test.wim"

For test the image:

1) I restarted and boot with the usb Winpe bootable

2) I formatted the disc with diskpart:

diskpart

select disk 0

clean

create partiton primary size=2000

assign letter=z

format FS:NTFS

active

create partition primary

assign letter=c

format FS:NTFS

exit

3) I apply the image with imagex:

imagex /apply z:\test.wim 1 c:

4) After deploy i restarted and i see thi error:

BOOTMGR missing
    CTRL+ALT+CANC for restart

Where i wrong?

I tried to change the command with diskpart, but i have not resolved.

If i explore the image deployed i see this file:

*Program File 
    *Windows

*users

*autoexec.bat

*Programdata

*Documents and Settings

*config.sys

Someone can help me, thanks!!

Saturday, July 26, 2008 1:10 PM

Answers

• It should be possible to get this to work, but it likely requires a lot more interaction with your setup than easil;y accomodated on a forum. 

Here are some alternate strategies:

1.  With the 2GB partition set to active, you can use setup.exe to install your image on c: and it will sort the details of making the system bootable on the 2GB partition.

2. You can create 2 partitions as you have done, but make the C: active, not the 2GB one.  Capture only the 1 single partition layout sysprepped image. Apply the image to C: and ignore the Z: drive for now. Then post setup, run the BitLocker Disk Configuration Tool (bdehdcfg.exe) and tell it to move the boot files to the 2GB partition and make it active (merge switch). It takes care of the details like setting up the BCD properly.  MDT uses this approach to shrink and create the 2GB partition if required, and migrate the boot files over to thed 2GB partition.

3.  If imaging and not using setup, make sure you use WAIK 1.1 which has the latest bootsect.exe.  It has a new /MBR switch that ensure the MBR is correct for BitLocker. Use WAIK 1.1 in any case for Vista SP1 and MDT 2008 Update 1.

4.  Just capture a single sysprepped image from C: and add it to the MDT 2008 (Update 1).  It will take care of the partitioning and enabling Bitlocker for you leveraging dispart and bdehdcfg tool as approprate.  MDT is the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit.

- Mike

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 11:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please understand that the boot information (BCD) is stored on the active partition. If you only capture and apply the operating system partition, the boot information will be missing and the error “BOOTMGR is missing” will appear.

Therefore, you need to capture and apply both the 2GB active partition and the operating system partition.

For more information about BitLocker, you can refer to the following article:

Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Step-by-Step Guide

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/c61f2a12-8ae6-4957-b031-97b4d762cf311033.mspx?mfr=true

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, July 28, 2008 7:08 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for you answer,  i test soon, and i leave a feedback.

I have an other question for you, which is the correct way and fast for capture and apply an image with two partitions.

Is possible capture in a single file wim, two partitions and apply it with a single command?

I'm trying to create an image with two partitions, but that is also easy to aplly through a scripts.

Thanks
    Best Regards
    Cristian

Monday, July 28, 2008 11:15 AM
  • Hi Cristian,

No, I am afraid we cannot capture or apply two partitions with a single command. We need to capture two partitions into two .wim file. However, we can append the second image to the first image file using “imagex /append”.

For more information about ImageX, please refer to the following article:

ImageX Command-Line Options

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/bb068119-1ba6-48c7-9ad7-3ed3f72592e91033.mspx?mfr=true

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 9:30 AM
  • Dear Tim,

I test the solutions, but i have other problems now.

NEED

2 GB partition of Bitlocker with letter z

Remainder of Hard Drive created as C-Drive for Os and data (ultimately to be encrypted with Bitlocker)

My master reference system has been successfully configured, after I have prepped my master system and execute SYSPREP:

sysprep /generalize /oobe /quit /unattendTongue Tiedysprepdomain.xml

Where sysprepdomain.xml have a little comand of configuration.

After i have capture with the command:

imagex.exe /compress maximum /flags “Enterprise” /capture z: Y:\vista\omc_z.wim "OMC" “29072008” /verify

imagex.exe /compress maximum /flags “Enterprise” /capture c: Y:\vista\omc_c.wim "OMC" “29072008” /verify

I create a single image with the command /append

OMC_C (now containes two images)

Then on the target PC's I apply the files above as follows

DISKPART

select disk 0
    clean
    create partition primary size=2000
    assign letter=Z

active
    create partition primary
    assign letter=c
    list volume
    exit

I load my image

imagex /apply y:\vista\omc_c.wim 1 C:

imagex /apply y:\vista\omc_c.wim 2 Z:

After apply i check the partition created, with the command:

diskpart

select disk 0

list volume

I reboot, and I get this error:

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

How can i have an image captured with a imagex, with two partition without problems.

What mistake?

Many Thank

Cristian

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 5:39 PM
  • Hi Joker,

I've never tested BitLocker yet, but, the error you're having cannot be related to your Diskpart commands?

DISKPART

select disk 0
    clean
    create partition primary size=2000
    assign letter=Z

active
    create partition primary
    assign letter=c
    list volume
    exit

Because you're activating the Z: drive and not the C: drive.

Hope it helps!

Diogo Sousa

Thursday, August 14, 2008 11:14 AM
  • Hi Diogo,

In the documentation of Bitlocker the partition for the Boot z: have to be active.

Because when install windows, some boot file are put in the partition active.

Best Regards

Cristian

System Engineer

Friday, August 15, 2008 8:21 AM
  • It should be possible to get this to work, but it likely requires a lot more interaction with your setup than easil;y accomodated on a forum. 

Here are some alternate strategies:

1.  With the 2GB partition set to active, you can use setup.exe to install your image on c: and it will sort the details of making the system bootable on the 2GB partition.

2. You can create 2 partitions as you have done, but make the C: active, not the 2GB one.  Capture only the 1 single partition layout sysprepped image. Apply the image to C: and ignore the Z: drive for now. Then post setup, run the BitLocker Disk Configuration Tool (bdehdcfg.exe) and tell it to move the boot files to the 2GB partition and make it active (merge switch). It takes care of the details like setting up the BCD properly.  MDT uses this approach to shrink and create the 2GB partition if required, and migrate the boot files over to thed 2GB partition.

3.  If imaging and not using setup, make sure you use WAIK 1.1 which has the latest bootsect.exe.  It has a new /MBR switch that ensure the MBR is correct for BitLocker. Use WAIK 1.1 in any case for Vista SP1 and MDT 2008 Update 1.

4.  Just capture a single sysprepped image from C: and add it to the MDT 2008 (Update 1).  It will take care of the partitioning and enabling Bitlocker for you leveraging dispart and bdehdcfg tool as approprate.  MDT is the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit.

- Mike

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 11:53 PM
  • I had the same problem and I fixed running this command:

X:\Windows\system32\bcdboot.exe C:\Windows

X: is the drive where the Windows PE is started.

I hope this can help you.

Carlos Andres Valencia (MCSE)
    • Proposed as answer by Engineer Faisal Saturday, December 11, 2010 6:48 PM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 11:02 PM
  • Answer form Carlos Andres Valencia Users Medals Users Medals Users Medals Users Medals

is really helpful and i tried it and successfully got 100% result
    Saturday, December 11, 2010 6:50 PM
  • I ran into the same “BOOTMGR / NLTDR is missing” problem with Windows 7 after applying a WIM image using diskpart and ImageX and I managed to resolve it by running this command after applying the image "bcdboot c:\windows"

• Proposed as answer by misterdiggle Friday, February 18, 2011 8:25 PM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 8:19 PM
  • Hello Carlos,

I am able to apply the wim file via winPE. Now, I would like to add that wim file to the sources folder of an installation dvd so I can be able to install it from a dvd. I tried it that way (adding it to the sources folder) but when I boot from that dvd, It says that it cannot find the required D:\sources\install.wim   I have tried many ways, it just wont recognize it. I renamed the file to install.wim, but same thing. If you or any other person can help me it will be great.

Christian,

MCP/MCITP

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 4:23 PM
  • This whole thread filled with troves of complicated responses to get to this one simple reply. Glad I kept reading!
    Friday, August 12, 2011 6:50 PM