none
Re: Office 2007 installation stops because missing office.en-us\officelr.cab (and sometimes other cab files)

Question

• With updated XP, I can't install Office 2007 because of missing office.en-us\officelr.cab (and sometimes other cab files).  Please help!  I bought Office 4 months ago and cannot install it!  I've been looking to download the missing files, but only could find (I think) pirated sites.  I have authentic copies of XP and Office 07 so I don't want to do anything illegal, but I can't find any help anywhere - VERY FRUSTRATED!

Thank you in advance for any help!
    Alva
    Sunday, December 16, 2007 4:06 PM

Answers

• I too was very frustrated and wanted to thank all of you for the ideas... especially ocoyolo.

However it still did not work.  I kept trying methods until... Voila! Succees!!!!

I went to MicrosoftOffice.com and searched for Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student Edition Download, which brought me to the netbook download options.

I have a CD with a key, so I chose method 2, clicked the link and installed the item to my desktop.

When you bring this up (if you have XP) and it say repair, add, remove, choose REMOVE.

Finish the process but do not restart.

Go into C:/ Drive and delete MSOCache (and any other copies you may have renamed.) Then,,,,

Complete Step X, according to ocoyolo

Step X: Start>run: regedit
    Under Registry Key for BOTH Local Machine and User: Go to: Software>Microsoft>
    Then delete the Office registry. After that exit the regedit

NOW choose: RESTART with updates,

Now use the same download from the start and Voila!!!

I kept my fingers crossed the whole time, but it worked.

Wish you all success with the same results!

• Proposed as answer by NettaMc Wednesday, October 13, 2010 7:20 AM
    • Edited by NettaMc Wednesday, October 13, 2010 7:26 AM forgot a step
    • Marked as answer by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Saturday, June 08, 2013 6:39 PM
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 7:18 AM

All replies

• You are not the only one having this problem.  I have windows XP home edition and I can load Office Enterprise 2007 because of missing CAB files.

OfficeLR.cab     cannot be found.

Seems like microsoft would test their software out before selling it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by Henrique Nery Wednesday, January 13, 2010 5:21 PM
    Wednesday, January 02, 2008 4:21 PM
  • Same problem essentially. Same error. XP PRo.

I have a standalone copy of Office OneNote 2007 and tried to a) upgrade my installed OneNote 2003 to OneNote 2007, then tried to b) install 2007separately without uninstalling OneNote 2003, then after uninstalling OneNote 2003 tried to c) install the full OneNote 2007 program.  Same error (as above) each time: "You Can't Get There From Here!".

Located the folder of the supposed missing file, but received "invaid location" error.

Beer.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 12:24 AM
  • I have no idea what the failt is, but I have an easy sollution. Just copy the whole CD/DVD into a folder on the computer, and install the software from there. Worked excelent here Smile

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 11:46 AM

• The solution is to copy the entire CD into a scratch folder and then install from the hard drive, not the CD.
    Wednesday, February 06, 2008 2:31 PM
  • ive tried coping the whole cd to the desktop and its still keeps searching for the officelr.cab file, i checked to see if he file is there and it is. do i need to create an iso of the cd or are there any other ideas for this issue? other info is when i go to put in my key and it checks out correctly it asks me if i want to upgrade or customize if that means anything to you. and i currently am running windows xp sp2 and i have office 2003 on there now.
    Wednesday, February 27, 2008 6:47 PM
  • Has anybody managed this yet.

Copying to the hard drive is no different.

What an annoying pice of software - licenced for 3 pcs but not loadable on one!!

Alun

Friday, March 07, 2008 8:54 PM

• I experienced the same problem. My solution was to this was simply to first select the 'customize' icon, then select the 'install now' icon.

Hope it works
    Chow
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 5:40 PM
  •  

exactly where is this customize icon and the install now icon
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:51 AM

• What u need to do is to reinstall Office 2007. However, a hidden folder called MsoCache, which is located in your Drive C: and u need to delete it OR if you can't, rename it to Msocache123 or whatever.

To view the folder, Go to My computer
    Click Tools > Folder Options > View > click "Show hidden files and Folders"
    Go to drive C:\ and rename the MsoCache file
    (Step X)
    Install your office 2007 again.
    Done.

If this failed, u might require to do Step X before reinstalling your Office 2003.
    Reinstall Office 2007.

The trick here is to create a new MsoCache folder for installation to proceed as the previous installation was retrieving cabinet files from the old Msocache (u must rename it) which is missing the said cabinets.

Hope this helps.

Do update your progress.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 2:28 AM
  •  

Please check you RAM is ok !

I just replaced my 512 memory which I suspected to be broken with a new memory chip, the install went all the way with no errors.

I tried Dell Diagnostic Utility but found no RAM errors! I did not try the memory test from Microsoft.

I have a Dell GX280 XP sp3

Best regards,

Johannes Pall

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 7:11 PM
  • I`m having the same problem. On vista ultimate, recently have to use Toshiba recovery. Installed Office 2007 with no problem previously here and on two other computers but cannot reinstall here as the described error message appears. I have tried going from ISO of disk but all that changes is the error message, error 2350 which if ignored leads to error 1335 and notice that OnotelLR.CAB is corrupt. Any ideas guys i`m so fustrated with this issue, using openoffice at the moment but dont see why i should have to considering i have payed for microsoft software.

1st error http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll102/smisneb/Office2007erroroninstallation.jpg

1st error if use ISO route http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll102/smisneb/Office2007erroroninstallation2if-1.jpg

2nd error if ignore 1st      http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll102/smisneb/Office2007erroroninstallation2ifuse.jpg

Sunday, June 15, 2008 9:06 AM
  • Further to my previous post, i cannot install open office as get the same type of errors, ahhh any ideas would be much appreciated guys and girls.

error http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll102/smisneb/openofficeerror.jpg

Sunday, June 15, 2008 9:22 AM
  •  

Guys all you have to do is download and install the trial version of office 2007. Immediately after have installed the trial version start installing your licensed version and all will be done.

I don't know why but it works!!

• Proposed as answer by bonibonka Thursday, May 30, 2013 6:00 AM
    Sunday, November 09, 2008 11:19 AM
  •  

I've found the solution: first of all you must uninstall all old office. Search on your hard drive all references to office and delete them. Run regedit and search for "office" entries and remove all of them. Your pc must be clean of all linked to office (also hiding folder).

Guys all you have to do now is download and install the trial version of office 2007.

Immediately after have installed the trial version start installing your licensed version and all will be done.

After that you can uninstall trial version and all is done.

Sunday, November 09, 2008 11:24 AM
  • I've had the same problem described here.

I use Vista 32 bit Ultimate edition.  I was installing Office Professional Plus 2007 from newly purchased original disks onto a new clean install of Vista Ultimate 32 bit edition.

Note that I purchased the full version of office and this was not an upgrade version.

However, I kept receiving the error you've described.

I fixed the problem by installing Offce XP onto my system (from an original CD) and then afterwards installed Office 2007 onto the system as an upgrade and it worked fine.

Frustrating but fixable if you own a previous version of office
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 1:26 PM
  • HI,

JUST RENAME THE FOLDER "MSOCache" (C:\MSOCache) AS MSOCache1 AND TRY TO INSTALL OFFICE 2007.

VINESH NAMBIAR
    • Proposed as answer by benbaronaa Thursday, August 06, 2009 3:44 AM
    Monday, June 01, 2009 5:57 AM
  • i got around it by loading the trial version, figuring it would have what it takes to patch things through and it worked!!!!I loaded a trial version and then "upgraded it" by using my store bought key.  I feel loike a bloody genius!!!!!
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 3:46 AM
  • HI,

JUST RENAME THE FOLDER "MSOCache" (C:\MSOCache) AS MSOCache1 AND TRY TO INSTALL OFFICE 2007.

VINESH NAMBIAR

Sorry Vinesh, this does not work.

I cannot rename it after the installation process is over because they are deleted by the setup after canceling.

When I rename it during the installation process just to see what happens nothing changes.

Really need some help with this.
    Monday, September 07, 2009 8:27 PM
  • I copied the contect of the dvd to my hard drive and installed from there(from the hard drive).

When it gave me the missing cab file problem and asked me to find the location of the file,  I selected the dvd intead of the folder in the hard drive.

Itfinally worked, a shot in the dark, but it worked for me.

try it out, and see if it works for you (=

cheers
    Tuesday, September 08, 2009 11:23 PM
  • I had the same problem as above. Tried everything that was suggested before this post but to no avail. The fix was to 1st disconnect my ethernet cable (no internet connection) then temporarly disable norton internet security. The install went smoothly after doing this. When it finished i re-enabled my antivirus and hooked up my ethernet cable. Activated ok, updates ok. No problems yet.

wtc
    • Proposed as answer by campwtc Friday, September 25, 2009 12:58 AM
    • Edited by campwtc Friday, September 25, 2009 1:02 AM fixed sentence
    Friday, September 25, 2009 12:58 AM
  • It's an utter disgrace and sheer arrogance - Microsoft are not helping their brands longevity.
    Theres a problem with sh*t setup program they sold me - an auto vendor would be hauled over the coals
    *So this brand new auto I sold youwouln't even start - give me your credit card details and I might fix it!!!!
    ____ wholes
    • Proposed as answer by sdellap1234 Monday, November 16, 2009 10:15 PM
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 8:52 PM
  • Windows 7 is another failure in a long line of diasters for Microsoft.  I cannot even get their own software (Office 2007) to install.   That does it for me.  Its Macs from now on.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 10:16 PM
  • Does not work for me.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 10:24 PM
  • did not work for me.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 10:24 PM
  • eso es porque el officelr.cab por alguna razon cual sea fue danado, podria ser una mala compilacion o algun sector del cd o disco con problemas. yo tambien tengo el mismo problema y ahora observando me fije con el winrar que el archivo estaba danado. eso quiere decir que quienes tengan office y les de el problema es mejor conseguirse otro o si hay repuesto para el archivo cab entonces mejor.

in inglish, the officelr.cab is crash
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 2:23 AM
  • THE SOLUTION IS:  DO NOT JUST COPY MANUALLY (COPY/PASTE) THE CONTENT OF THAT CD OR ISO.  EXTRACT IT EITHER USING AN ISO UTILITY OR WINRAR.  I HAD THIS PROBLEM UNTIL I EXTRACTED IT USING POWERISO OR WINRAR THEN NO PROBLEMS.

THANKS

Friday, May 28, 2010 4:48 AM
  • Hello Bro!

You shouldn't Upgrade XP (with Office 2007) to Vista

Some of the file on OS or some applications will delete automatic .....

so.....make fresh.......or....make clean install vista....then you can install any application u want.............

Saturday, May 29, 2010 7:15 PM
  • I too was very frustrated and wanted to thank all of you for the ideas... especially ocoyolo.

However it still did not work.  I kept trying methods until... Voila! Succees!!!!

I went to MicrosoftOffice.com and searched for Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student Edition Download, which brought me to the netbook download options.

I have a CD with a key, so I chose method 2, clicked the link and installed the item to my desktop.

When you bring this up (if you have XP) and it say repair, add, remove, choose REMOVE.

Finish the process but do not restart.

Go into C:/ Drive and delete MSOCache (and any other copies you may have renamed.) Then,,,,

Complete Step X, according to ocoyolo

NOW choose: RESTART with updates,

Now use the same download from the start and Voila!!!

I kept my fingers crossed the whole time, but it worked.

Wish you all success with the same results!

• Proposed as answer by NettaMc Wednesday, October 13, 2010 7:20 AM
    • Edited by NettaMc Wednesday, October 13, 2010 7:26 AM forgot a step
    • Marked as answer by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Saturday, June 08, 2013 6:39 PM
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 7:18 AM
  • I have a solution that work for me in windows 7 

Go to msconfig (start run) go to tools and change UAC to never .

restart computer and you can install office 2007

Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:51 AM
  • Just check you have permissin to create folder on c: drive or not ,

Go to c: drive- right click- properties- security- users- in ermission allow full permission . and then install office 2007 setup ,It works for me, try it................

Regards

Yogi

• Edited by Yogi's Saturday, January 14, 2012 9:06 AM
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 9:05 AM
  • hi,

Just check you have permissin to create folder on c: drive or not ,

Go to c: drive- right click- properties- security- users- in ermission allow full permission . and then install office 2007 setup ,It works for me, try it................

Regards

Yogi

Saturday, January 14, 2012 9:07 AM
  • HI,

VINESH NAMBIAR
    Thanks,  it's works for me.  I just get this issue when I installed the language pack for office 2010.
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:01 PM
  • disable your antivirus and give admin rights to user...that can solve your problem..

try it..............

Friday, November 02, 2012 1:45 PM
  •  

Guys all you have to do is download and install the trial version of office 2007. Immediately after have installed the trial version start installing your licensed version and all will be done.

I was trying to install from extracted folder from CD. Have done this many times before, same package - it worked, but not with this new Win 8. it told me it could not find a Office.en-us Folder, even thou when i was pointing to it. 

Renaming MSOCache didn't work. 

Going to MSconfig and chacking off UAC to Never didn't give result.

BUT when I installed Trial Version, and then not even starting any programs and right after I WAS ABLE TO INSTALL from the original folder that I tried to use. MAGIC!!!

I'm able to open them and no problem. THANK YOU!!!

Thursday, May 30, 2013 6:11 AM
  • hey guys. just check your RAM. Atleast one may have errors. Just try memory diagonosis.

Gud Luck...

Sree

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 12:08 PM