none
Black screen on reboot during install, !! 0xc0190036 !! 4068/72408 (cdosys.dll.mui) flashing onscreen

Question

• Running the standalone installer (after Windows Update download hung at 95 percent), I've come to a dead stop. After two reboots during the Stage -- I believe this was going from state 2 to 3 -- Vista boots to a black screen that's naming off files and enumerating them.

It comes to cdosys.dll.mui and stops, and this appears on the screen, flashing.

!! 0xc0190036 !! 4068/72408 (cdosys.dll.mui)

I can't boot into safe mode. So far, a startup repair didn't help. Trying second startup repair now (taking a long time).

Anyone else hit by this?

Thursday, December 13, 2007 5:46 AM

Answers

• Hi all

It is my first ever post here but hopefully this will go a long way to solve a lot of heartaches and unnecessary clean installs.

I did a bit of research on the net... some articles giving some hints that 0xc0190036 is caused by the target file to be patched during SP1 installation being CORRUPTED. The file with error 0xc0190036 being reported during SP1 installation, in my case, was Firewall.cpl (it can be ANY file targeted for patch by SP1). I booted from a WinPE CD and ran a chkdsk /f on my C: drive... and sure enough, Firewall.cpl was found to be corrupted.

Chkdsk went ahead to try to fix the corrupted file. After that I rebooted the system and let the HDD boot partition run. No luck, the SP1 installation still hang at overwriting Firewall.cpl. So out of frustration, I booted back into the WinPE CD.. this time I simply deleted the corrupt Firewall.cpl away. I proceeded to reboot the system back into the C: boot partition. This time it worked like a charm - the SP1 installation simply put a new copy of the deleted corrupted file into the HDD, and went on to complete the SP1 installation. The desktop showed up pretty shortly thereafter - SP1 update complete!

Search 0xc0190036 on the net and you will find that quite a few people hit it during SP1 install - but M$ simply provided no explanation on it. Now you have it here - hopefully this is the first complete definition and resolution of the 0xc0190036 error that has ever been posted on the net.

P.S. if you hit the same problem but have no WinPE CD, fret not - the original Vista installation DVD has a command prompt repair function and it will let u run chkdsk and to delete files equally well as the WinPE command prompt.

Possible causes and mitigation factors to prevent file corruption just prior to SP1 install (and hence prevent the dreaded 0xc0190036 error):

- HDD was already somehow corrupted beforehand. Resolution/prevention: run a chkdsk /f on your boot partition BEFORE you attempt to download/install SP1!
    - Automatic defragmentation somehow causes some files to be corrupted the moment SP1 installation reboots your system. Resolution - disable any and all background HDD defragmentation programs before attempting SP1 install!

Monday, February 18, 2008 2:45 PM

All replies

• Yes, I hit something similar last night but mine says:  !! 0xc0000102 !! 3978/71530 (b57nd60x.sys.mui).  Still no workaround.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 3:12 PM
  • I had a simlar issue.  It hung at stage 2, and then attempted to reboot, got a flash of blue screen.. then it rebooted again to the boot menu.  Tried safe mode, same thing, blue screen.

Had to do startup repair, the first attempt didnt' work.  Back into startup repair, took much longer the second time, but it reparied the issues.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 4:01 AM
  • How do you do the startup repair? I got !! 0xc0190036 !! 1890/73915 (WMSPDMOD.DLL) message and wont let me go into safe mode or last good known config either...

Friday, January 18, 2008 12:47 AM
  • I have the same problem, the black screen enumerating files XXXX/75469 and then hanging. Each time it hangs on a different file, around the 70000 range.

I was able to access system restore using the Vista installation DVD, but when the machine reboots it tries to install SP1 and hangs again. Is there any way to stop SP1 from installing at bootup?

BTW, I'm runnung Vista Ultimate x86 version.

Monday, January 28, 2008 10:36 AM
  •  

Are you picked the correct system restore point?
    Monday, January 28, 2008 10:56 AM
  • I only have 2 choices: One from yesterday morning, and another one that was created last night, before the "installation" of SP1 RC1. I tried restoring to both, but upon rebooting SP1 automatically tries to install. Seven hours later, the machine is still trying to boot, cycling through the black screen from hell every few minutes.

I urgently need to access my computer, HELP!!!

Thanks for your help

Monday, January 28, 2008 2:36 PM
  • Someone who had your problem last week says to reinstall Vista from the DVD over top of the old installation. You should retain all your files because it should only reinstall system files.

http://vaniji.blogspot.com/2007/12/update-vista-service-pack-1.html

Monday, January 28, 2008 2:47 PM
  • I don't know if I want to risk it at this point. When I insert the Vista installation DVD, the option to "upgrade" is grayed out (not available). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that a new installation would overwrite existing files.

Monday, January 28, 2008 2:54 PM
  • Are you able to do the things in this link?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial147.html

Monday, January 28, 2008 9:32 PM
  • Yes, I was able to get to the command prompt, but I had no idea what to do when I got there! 

Monday, January 28, 2008 10:21 PM
  •  

try the fixing startup problems if that doesn't work then you can do one of two things.

At command prompt

cd c:

"sfc /scannow"

or

chkdsk c:

Monday, January 28, 2008 10:34 PM
  • Same Problem with the final Version (RTM) of SP1 -

error !! 0xc0190036 !! 5638/77767 (autochk.exe.mui)

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 7:51 AM
  • Hi all

It is my first ever post here but hopefully this will go a long way to solve a lot of heartaches and unnecessary clean installs.

I did a bit of research on the net... some articles giving some hints that 0xc0190036 is caused by the target file to be patched during SP1 installation being CORRUPTED. The file with error 0xc0190036 being reported during SP1 installation, in my case, was Firewall.cpl (it can be ANY file targeted for patch by SP1). I booted from a WinPE CD and ran a chkdsk /f on my C: drive... and sure enough, Firewall.cpl was found to be corrupted.

Chkdsk went ahead to try to fix the corrupted file. After that I rebooted the system and let the HDD boot partition run. No luck, the SP1 installation still hang at overwriting Firewall.cpl. So out of frustration, I booted back into the WinPE CD.. this time I simply deleted the corrupt Firewall.cpl away. I proceeded to reboot the system back into the C: boot partition. This time it worked like a charm - the SP1 installation simply put a new copy of the deleted corrupted file into the HDD, and went on to complete the SP1 installation. The desktop showed up pretty shortly thereafter - SP1 update complete!

Search 0xc0190036 on the net and you will find that quite a few people hit it during SP1 install - but M$ simply provided no explanation on it. Now you have it here - hopefully this is the first complete definition and resolution of the 0xc0190036 error that has ever been posted on the net.

P.S. if you hit the same problem but have no WinPE CD, fret not - the original Vista installation DVD has a command prompt repair function and it will let u run chkdsk and to delete files equally well as the WinPE command prompt.

Possible causes and mitigation factors to prevent file corruption just prior to SP1 install (and hence prevent the dreaded 0xc0190036 error):

- HDD was already somehow corrupted beforehand. Resolution/prevention: run a chkdsk /f on your boot partition BEFORE you attempt to download/install SP1!
    - Automatic defragmentation somehow causes some files to be corrupted the moment SP1 installation reboots your system. Resolution - disable any and all background HDD defragmentation programs before attempting SP1 install!

Monday, February 18, 2008 2:45 PM
  • I came up with the very same solution, that's definately it!

In my case the file autochk.exe.mui was corrupt on the harddrive. chkdsk wasn't able to fix it, so I got a new hard drive, mirrored the hard drive, ran chkdsk again, deleted the corrupted file and replaced it with the file from another copy of windows Vista.
    (Don't try to overwrite the corrupted file, but actually delete it and then copy the file to replace it with)
    I used the command shell you get by booting from the windows Vista install cd and hitting Shift-F10 where you would enter the product key.
    After the corrupted file has been replaced, sp1 install proceded and eventually finished successfully.
    i am planning to write up a detailed how-to on my blog as soon as i get some time.

Monday, February 18, 2008 2:57 PM
  • Glad to know you figured it out too Smile actually you didnt even have to bother finding a copy of the file to replace the corrupted one with - just deleting the corrupted one away will do - SP1 installer will automatically just put the new version of the file in its place. So there was no need to mirror the drive at all. Its a bit of wobbly programming on the microsoft side - they are basically saying that they can handle missing files but not corrupted files - they can simply just treat corrupted files as missing files!
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 3:29 AM
  • How do you delete a *.dll.mui file?? I looked at them in the cmd prompt ran a attrib on them they all have the A atribbute attached to them and does not allow you to change, delete or replace file.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 4:29 AM
  • Are you sure your are looking at the correct copy? You should be deleting the copy on your hard drive and not on the DVD. An A file attribute simply means the file is ready for archival, it should not prevent deletion of the file.

In any case, try the following command to see if u can set the file attribute:

attrib -r -h -s whatever.dll.mui

It should allow you to delete that file after this, unless some process is holding that file open.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 6:20 AM
  •  

Wobbly programming?  That's an understatement.  I was upgrading the HTPC when this *** happened.  My wife looked at me like "You have to be f'ing kidding me."  Heh, heh.  I knew I should have upgraded something else first.  Oh, well.  Thanks to this thread I was bailed out.  THANKS!  Good thing it wasn't a Lost night--that could have been painful :-)
    Wednesday, February 27, 2008 8:07 AM
  • Thanks Gerald! You saved me from reinstalling the system!
    I had almost the same situation: installed SP1 via auto update, hung with the !!0xc0190036!! error (but with the file Rules.System.Wireless.Xml), chkdsk corrected error, no use, deleted the file, everythong resolved.

Microsoft, PLEASE provide a solution this problem
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 6:52 AM
  • Yes!  Great solution!  This worked like a charm.

Thanks!
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 7:33 PM
  • I had the same error on convert.exe - ran chkdsk /f and it found some corruption with it and a few other files and tried to fix it.  Just for good measure, I deleted the file before running the installation again - but it still hung up on convert.exe.

I guess that trying to repair the installation from the vista dvd is next - but if anyone else has suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:06 AM
  • My story (with Vista x64) - it hung on ieapfltr.dll, I ran chkdsk and it found a corruption with this file (which it repaired). Restarted, still hanging on ieapfltr.dll. Then I deleted this file, I actually found and deleted this file in two locations: \Windows\System32 and \Windows\SysWoW64. Then restarted, the upgrade went smooth - and there are now two brand new copies of this ieapfltr.dll.

@bowline: Maybe you deleted the wrong copy of convert.exe? Try "dir /s convert.exe" from the command prompt in order to check for other copies.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 9:00 PM
  • mine (32bit) stopped at 6046/69163(wincollabPess.dll) during sp1 installation. started repair with original dvd- but didn`t repair, it hang in the loop of repairing.i stop the process after 4 hours of waiting. my backup under acronis shows corrupted restore archives. so i believe  that something was wrong with the system before sp1 install.
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:03 PM
  • Hats off to Gerald Wong.  His solution worked like a champ. 

In my situation the 0xc0190036 occurred on hearts.exe. The hardest part of the fix was figuring out how to get to the command prompt to delete the file. 

I know Microsoft routinely (and sometimes undeservedly) takes their share of chastisement, but, in this case, double shame on them for not coding around the problem.  It's just another bitter pill in the mouths of folks who are trying to give Vista a fair shake.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 9:26 PM
  • Hi all,

i think i got an Solution.

I was go to Repair (press F8 before boot Windows) then open Command.

Go to c:\ cd windows and there is an Folder "WINSXS" you must rename it

ren wsxs winsxs.old

The reboot (safe mode i use), after this Windows does an second Reboot because he has errors and Ask for am Startup Repair.

Do this, an take a Coffee or an short Siesta, because it takes a while. Then reboot Windows Automaticly, Continue the Servicepack Installation (it goes over ccdosys.dll.mui) and was finish.

Now it works fine.

Hope this helps?

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:49 AM
  • I had a somewhat easier time! SP1 hung on 0XC0000102 4096/66735 CDOSYS.DLL.MUI . I tried restarting F8 restore to best known config, etc... Nothing.  I put in a Vista upgrade disc,told it to boot from the CD,selected  english,time zone, etc. At the next screen selected repair your comp. This take you to system recovery options. Selected the Vista installation, hit next and let it run! Follow any prompts, select finish, reboot and SP1 restarted, and completed! All is good!

Sunday, May 4, 2008 2:31 PM
  • What is the path of cdosys.dll.mui? Is that same with cdosys.dll in system32?

I have found a lot of "cdosys.dll.mui"

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 3:35 AM
  • Gerald, your post was very helpful.  I am right now following your directions after getting a very similar error when trying to install the SP1 for Windows Vista.  Question - after I run the CHKDSK function from the command prompt and get the list of files that are corrupt, how do I actually go about deleting them?  Just typing in DEL [name of file] doesn't do it...  Thanks.

Friday, May 30, 2008 1:04 PM
  • i haven't found a solution to the problem but i found a quick fix.  It takes a few hours but when you run start up repair 3 times it will give you the option of system restoring and you can reboot the computer back before SP1.  Im not 100% sure, but i think many of the problems faced by SP1 has to do with your registry.  When i was searching the boards i found a forum saying to reset your registry.  That might be a solution.
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 1:25 AM
  • i'm experiencing the same error as everyone else with the SP1.
    i've tried going to the cmd prompt through the vista installation dvd. When i type chkdsk, it comes up with a list of things but it also says that because the F parameter is not specified, the check disk is being run in read only mode. Also, it says that no errors were found.

But i cant run "chkdsk /f" coz it says Windows cannot lock current drive because it is write protected.

Is there anyway around this? the file my comp gets hung on is iprtprio.dll
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 8:02 AM
  •  

It should offer you the option to run at next startup, if the harddisk cannot be locked.

Also when you boot up from the Vista DVD you can use the command prompt in the repair console to run chkdsk.

If iprtprio.dll seems to be the corrupted file, replace it using the repair console as I have described earlier in this thread.

that will solve your problem.

Thursday, June 5, 2008 8:07 AM
  •  habnix wrote:
    I came up with the very same solution, that's definately it!

In my case the file autochk.exe.mui was corrupt on the harddrive. chkdsk wasn't able to fix it, so I got a new hard drive, mirrored the hard drive, ran chkdsk again, deleted the corrupted file and replaced it with the file from another copy of windows Vista.
    (Don't try to overwrite the corrupted file, but actually delete it and then copy the file to replace it with)
    I used the command shell you get by booting from the windows Vista install cd and hitting Shift-F10 where you would enter the product key.
    After the corrupted file has been replaced, sp1 install proceded and eventually finished successfully.
    i am planning to write up a detailed how-to on my blog as soon as i get some time.

hi habnix. i did exactly wat u said here up til deleting the corrupt file. the file was deleted automaticlaly by chkdsk (i typed in chkdsk /f c: this time). but then i dont noe wat to do after this.

do i restart the computer, or do i close the vista installation screens? if i do, it seems that any changes made by chkdsk is undone and the problem with the corrupt file persists
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 8:41 AM
  • Please help me!!!  This is so frustrating, I am an above average pc user, but have very limited command prompt experience.  My system hangs at 3434/72587 (migsys.dll)  I ran chkdsk and there were many corrupt files.  When i go to the command prompt, I cannot seem to locate that file...as far as i know, the command prompt does not have a search feature.  How do I go about finding that file? 

On a side note, I downloaded and burned WinPE on my laptop, but can't figure out how to get to the command prompt.  What would happen if I install windows over windows?  My worry is that I have hundreds of pictures on my c drive that I have not put on my d drive yet and cannot lose them or I may get divorced!  I don't know where to go from here...

Thanks a ton in advance,

Curtis

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 2:22 AM
  • Okay, after dealing with this *** for 3 hours, and using the many posts in this forum, I am back up and running with SP1 installed. I think I can summarize the process a little bit for the command prompt n00bs out there.
    1) insert your windows vista install dvd  and boot from it
    2) get to the point where you are about to actually begin the installation
    3) press shift f10 to bring up the command prompt window
    4) run checkdisk using this command "chkdsk /f c:" (without the quotes of course)
    5) it will flag one or more files as having problems, write down EXACTLY what the filenames are of those files
    6) once checkdisk is finished, you have to go find those files and delete them, to do that you can use this command:
    dir c:\ /s /b | find "myfilename"   (replace myfilename with part of the file you are looking for)
    7) when it finds the file, make note of it's full path and location, write it down if you need to
    8) navigate to the directory that contains your file using the cd command, like this:
    cd c:\program files\common files     
    9) delete the corrupted file using the del command: del filename.exe
    10) go back to step 6 and find the other files that checkdisk marked as corrupted, keep repeating all the steps until all the *** filels are deleted
    11) reboot and choose to boot normally, with luck, sp1 will go through the rest of its install properly this time and will replace all that dead files that you just deleted,

Good luck!
    -vb
    • Proposed as answer by ThinkerR Thursday, May 28, 2009 8:29 PM
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 4:34 AM
  • Has Microsoft addressed this issue yet? I am getting the error !! 0xC0190036 !! 4502/68675 (bfe.dll.mui)

I spend 4 hours on the phone with TS yesterday and chatted with someone online at work today about the tactic of deleting the files.

My question is this. During my phone conversation the woman had be do something that made the SP1 install/ file check process not happen. Now when i boot the computer normally i do not even get the error, it just freezes on a black screen after the "Microsoft Corporation" screen with the green bars on the bottom of the screen.

If anyone has any suggestions i would love to hear them. I cant believe a service pack is causing this much trouble. First time in my life i am seriously considering going MAC.

Monday, June 23, 2008 8:40 PM
  •  videobored wrote:
    Okay, after dealing with this *** for 3 hours, and using the many posts in this forum, I am back up and running with SP1 installed. I think I can summarize the process a little bit for the command prompt n00bs out there.
    4) run checkdisk using this command "chkdsk /f c:" (without the quotes of course)
    5) it will flag one or more files as having problems, write down EXACTLY what the filenames are of those files
    6) once checkdisk is finished, you have to go find those files and delete them, to do that you can use this command:
    dir c:\ /s /b | find "myfilename"   (replace myfilename with part of the file you are looking for)
    7) when it finds the file, make note of it's full path and location, write it down if you need to
    8) navigate to the directory that contains your file using the cd command, like this:
    10) go back to step 6 and find the other files that checkdisk marked as corrupted, keep repeating all the steps until all the *** filels are deleted
    11) reboot and choose to boot normally, with luck, sp1 will go through the rest of its install properly this time and will replace all that dead files that you just deleted,

Good luck!
    -vb

Thanx a lot!! it worked and saved my life!!

Sunday, July 20, 2008 2:03 PM
  • Hello Dwight

This is because of a corrupt cdosys.dll.mui file in System 32 folder

If you have Vista DVD then insert it,Select Repair Windows. You will get 5 options. Select Command Prompt.

Type notepad. A notepad will open. Click on File at the top and then open.

The path to the file is c:/Windows/System32

Right click on cdosys.dll.mui and rename it .

Then restart the system,ideally it should work fine

Regards

Darkwoods

Sunday, July 20, 2008 6:53 PM
  • Just to complicate this is a bit - I got the same error on Vista SP1.

Black screen after the first reboot and then a bunch of files - my number was 71422 vs. the 72408 above (must be different version of SP1) - but it hangs on a file - can't move past it.

Mine - infocard.exe - which is cool - because I go into the disk with WinPE and I find the file - and I can't delete it.

Run CHKDSK - still can't delete it.

CMD line delete - says Access Denied.

I run CACLS on it - and all accounts - NT Authority System, Builtin\Users, BuiltIn\Administrator only have Read Only - I check it against aother file that I can delete which has System and Administrators as Full Control.

I can't change the permissions on it either. 

So in my case I don't know if its file corruptions or file permissions but my access denied sounds like that's what a 0xc0190036 is inside of SP1 - its an I/O error and it can't move forward.

I will open a ticket with Microsoft on it and see if I can get someone smart to help out.

Thanks,

SpeedyG
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:55 AM
  • my scan found the following files

msoeres.dll.mui

dao360.dll

MSTTSFrontendENU.dll

on each i have tried to find them, inorder to delete them but says they caanot be found :-S

where do i go from here please?

really appreciate any help given

also if i try a system restore, it nearly completes the restore but doesnt seem to progress past the "finalizing file restore" stage.

ive left my pc for 2 hrs and its not done anything,

Lee

lmei wrote:

videobored wrote:
    Okay, after dealing with this *** for 3 hours, and using the many posts in this forum, I am back up and running with SP1 installed. I think I can summarize the process a little bit for the command prompt n00bs out there.

Good luck!
    -vb

Thanx a lot!! it worked and saved my life!!

Monday, September 1, 2008 8:26 PM
  • I don't mean to resurrect an old topic, but I'm having these same problems.

I tried SP1 earlier in the year and had this problem. I assumed MS would fix the problem and I'd try again later. I re-attempted a few weeks ago and have been having the same issues listed here. The file is cdosys.dll.mui. I've tried deleting the one in System32\en-us, as well as the one in windows\Winsxs.Still no good. I run chkdsk and it finds the file, and fixes it. Unfortunately, it never helps. I can run chkdsk 3 times in a row and it'll fix the file every time. SP1 install hangs at the same time.

I have an OEM Sony Vaio Laptop, therefore I'm using a borrowed Vista install disk to get access to the recovery command prompt.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Monday, October 13, 2008 1:24 AM
  • Just to cheer people up, I got the same problem when installing the SP2 beta. So it looks like MS still haven't fixed it.

Saturday, December 6, 2008 12:11 PM
  • Just to cheer people up, I got the same problem when installing the SP2 beta. So it looks like MS still haven't fixed it.

To cheer people up even more, I got the same problem when installing the official release of Vista SP2 via Windows Update today.  Multiple system repairs from the Vista installation DVD failed to fix it.  I couldn't enter command-line mode via Shift-F10 as mentioned in videobored's instructions, but it did provide an option to run a System Restore.  So now, my system has been recovered to its pre-SP2 condition.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:28 PM

To cheer people up even more, I got the same problem when installing the official release of Vista SP2 via Windows Update today.  Multiple system repairs from the Vista installation DVD failed to fix it.  I couldn't enter command-line mode via Shift-F10 as mentioned in videobored's instructions, but it did provide an option to run a System Restore.  So now, my system has been recovered to its pre-SP2 condition.
    At least your lucky; I'm having the same problems, but I can't even do a System Restore.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:09 PM
  • I am having the same problem as sdreamer. System restore wouldn't work so I talked to Microsoft. The tech support guy had me delete 2 .xml's both named pending.something and now when I boot I don't even get the error message, just a blank screen. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:28 AM
  • Hi,

I experienced the same problem with Vista SP2. I followed the steps given by Videobored and it worked just fine!

Thinkerr

PS: Long Live Linux!
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 8:41 PM
  • Never saw this issue with Vista SP1 however like others have been bit by it with SP2 today.  I'll have to attempt Videobored's recovery process and see if I can get my family room "TV" working again.

Even a bug-check is more informative than "!! 0xC0190036 !! 2359/76707 (msimsg.dll.mui)"

Ironically I have two Media Center HTPC systems with nearly identical hardware and the same Vista x64 Ultimate SP1 base OS.  The one now needing surgery due to SP2 had very low software entropy (little non-MS software), the other that had significantly more third-party software installed on it however painlessly upgraded from SP1 to Windows 7 RC1.

What do you say when this happens? I'm a PC?

• Edited by KPiette Thursday, June 4, 2009 12:16 AM Fixed typo in error hieroglyphic
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 12:14 AM
  • Please help me I have this same problem.  Now I can't get to a command prompt or even the system restore mode.  I have my recovery dics and I changed the boot order to boot with them and nothing.  Now it is going to a blus screen that states that "Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer".  I can't believe that this has something to do with Microsoft.  It would be understood with it was a trojan or virus.   This is poor accountability.
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 1:27 PM
  • i have the same problem !! 0xc0190036 !! it stopped the first time on 3193 and i was on the ps3 to i didn realise what was happening untili came off which was an hour or so after my laptop said your computer needs to restart. i have been looking around the internet and some people have system restored their pc's but vista's lousy excuse for system restore only allows you to restore back to major events and guess what the last one was .. the service pack.. tired it knowing it was going to work, but just hoping for a bit of luck. NOTHING
    the thing is mircsoft shouldn't expect people to download a patch they should add the patch into the serivce pack ..
    and if you've already downloaded the FAULTY SERVICE pack then you cant get on to your desktop to downloaded the patch off the internet..
    i have looked around the internt and most people have used the reinstallation disk, which i think i might have to do .. but you lose everything files pics , music .. how can you backup your harddrive ANYONE KNOW ??? need to ask this question cause .. i have had the laptop since 2007 .. dont really want to get rid of anything tbh .
    well if you can help :D thanks

Alex James Morgan :)
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 10:28 AM
  • Hi, i have had the same problem as everyone else but when i follow your instructions it doesnt work. When i do the checkdisk it finds a bad file, but when i try and search for the file ti tells me the file cannot be found so im still stuck on the black screen and not being able to budge it... any more help would greatyle be appreciated

thanks

david
    Monday, August 17, 2009 9:44 AM
  • Hi, i have had the same problem as everyone else but when i follow your instructions left by some1 it doesnt work. When i do the checkdisk it finds a bad file, but when i try and search for the file ti tells me the file cannot be found so im still stuck on the black screen and not being able to budge it... any more help would greatyle be appreciated

thanks

david
    Monday, August 17, 2009 9:44 AM
  • I had the same problem you all describe, but with SP2. It was this post by VideoBored that saved my sanity today. It took me 5 hours to figure out how to recover from my botched Sp2 installation. The only thing that worked was to delete all the EXE and DLL files that show up as corrupt after running CHKDSK. I am not a tech pro so I was very nervous deleting individual system files. But it worked when everything else failed. I was able to get at the corrupt system files by booting from my Vista installation CD and opening a command prompt. None of the other solutions worked for me: running CHKDSK /r; renaming the corrupt files; trying to restore to an earlier version of Vista, etc. Only deleting the corrupt system files worked. Thank you for the solution and explaing it so clearly.
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 2:03 AM
  • hi david,

did you ever find the answer to your question? i am in the same situation. my bad file is taskeng.exe, but when i search for the file, it is not found.

marcia

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:15 PM
  • Thank you videoboard for an excellent post which if nothing else, helped calm my nerves. In the event it may help, I would like to say that I am a beginner but managed to resolve this and state how I did it.

Like several others I have Windows Vista Ultimate on a Sony Vaio and tried to install SP1. It downloaded successfully but then stopped on reboot during the scan through Registry files. It did this on five or six reboots, most times on a different file. Nothing came of nothing and I was stuck. Eventually I got on another PC and found this thread after Googling what looked like an Error Code. Not having a Vista disk I borrowed one (a Dell Home Edition version) just to effect a repair you understand.

Anyway, I booted to the disk and found my way to the repair option. This ran for a while and it said it was fixed - however, it did not work. I ran the repair sequence a second time but this time it asked if I would like to go for a System Restore. I said 'Yes' and it continued to repair.

I went outside for a smoke (and to calm down) and to my amazement when I returned after 15 minutes I found my desktop waiting for me. I checked Control Panel>Windows Update and low and behold, ALL my Priority Updates have been installed and it tells me there are no more, only Optional Updates.

I never found the Command Prompt option and thank my lucky stars I did not require it.

I hope this helps some poor soul out there in the cloud. Good luck.
    Friday, October 2, 2009 8:38 PM
  • Okay, after dealing with this *** for 3 hours, and using the many posts in this forum, I am back up and running with SP1 installed. I think I can summarize the process a little bit for the command prompt n00bs out there.

Good luck!
    -vb

hey videobored. I can't seem to complete step 8 of your guide. whenever i hit enter after i typed in the cd command, it just went to the next line and didn't do anything much. srsly need help :(
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 4:17 PM
  • Sounds like you are back to using old 8.3 filenames. Program Files will look like Progra~1 and so on. http://www.answers.com/topic/long-file-names have more on this, including more links explaining this old thing. At least it is worth a try
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 10:28 PM
  • I have attempted two consecutive system repairs and then system restore, which worked fine. Installation of SP2 was rolled back as it never existed, as expected. Every SP installation creates a restore point prior making changes to the system for such cases where the installation is interrupted or corrupted.

Additionally, only second system repair checks and repairs disks automatically and only then system restore makes sense.

This is just my experience...
    • Proposed as answer by Tess Makinson Friday, March 5, 2010 12:56 PM
    Monday, November 9, 2009 1:53 PM
  • HELP Please!!!

It is July, 2010 and this problem still does not have a quick fix.

During a recent Windows update, it recommended that I install SP1, I did and my computer has been down ever since.

After following all the steps here, especially those by videobored, my system is still down. I found the corrupted files (capilock.dat, PNPXAssoc.dll and regedit.exe) then tried to delete them (I had a lot of help from a person who knows DOS since I had no clue on how to use DOS). All would delete except one - PNPXAssoc.dll. It was located in the C:\Windows\Systems32\ and access was denied. Of course, that is the file that it says is corrupt.

I ran another chkdsk and that is now the only file it mentions.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? How to delete this file or fix the corrupted file? My computer will not start up no matter what I've tried. It will not even do a system restore. I cannot find my Vista installation disc. I burned a Vista recovery disc from an online source but I'm not sure that works.

HELP please from anyone who knows how I can solve this problem. I am trying to avoid taking it to the repair shop.

Thursday, July 8, 2010 2:19 PM