none
Error 5: Access Denied can not start the DHCP Client service on Local Computer. RRS feed

• Question

• Ran into this error problem with both the DHCP and BFE service. Neither will start and both give me the same error code 5 access denied.

Found this little nugget below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dhcp

Right click and choose Permissions. There should be the following:

System = Full Control
    Local Service = Read
    Network Service = Read
    Local Admin = Full Control
    Local Users = Read
    Dhcp = Read with special permissions

No problem adding the missing Local Service and Network Service. How does one add Dhcp? Is there a way to create this because under permissions there is no way to add this or search it up. Is there a NetSH reset command that will add this in for me? The Netlogon service was not running and to get the Netlogon service going I ran NetSH int ip reset and it started to work. The other services were not running either and I was hoping they would after resetting IP

Any ideas on to fix this problem? Also, the user turned off the laptop when it was doing updates. Still I do not think it would have created this headache.

TIA

Spammer Hammer

Thursday, January 22, 2015 1:50 PM

Answers

• click add, set search scope to your computer (locations button) and type

nt service\dhcp

You might be also able to resolve such issue by simply restoring to a point in time where Windows worked properly with system restore.

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

Thursday, January 22, 2015 2:22 PM

All replies

• click add, set search scope to your computer (locations button) and type

nt service\dhcp

You might be also able to resolve such issue by simply restoring to a point in time where Windows worked properly with system restore.

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

Thursday, January 22, 2015 2:22 PM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 26, 2015 5:48 AM