Cannot install Windows 7 KMS key on Windows Server 2016 KMS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all, 

I setup a new KMS server with Windows Server 2016 Standard OS for my organization. I have a Windows 7 All Volume Edition Volume: CSVLK key and I cannot install it on the server. It has error "Error: 0xC004F050 The Software Licensing Service reported that the product key is invalid."

It seems this key is not supported on Server 2016 KMS server. Is there anyway around it?

In addition, my goal for this server is to activate Windows 10 and 7 professional computer clients. What is the best CSVLK key type to use?

Thanks.

Monday, November 11, 2019 3:38 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The Server 2016 KMS key could activate Windows 7 Clients once you reach the 25 client request minimum. Server KMS keys activate all server and client OS at or below its level so a Server 2016 key will activate Server 2016, 2012/R2 and 2008R2 as well as Windows 10, 8/8.1 and 7. We could find the information in the picture below.

Ifwe added Windows Server 2016 KMS keys to the KMS server, you have nothing special to do. 

In order to activate clients, the KMS uses a KMS host key. This key can be obtained from the Microsoft VLSC (Volume Licensing Service Center) website. Because KMS host key of newer Windows version can be used to activate older Windows versions, you should only obtain and install the latest KMS host key available in VLSC.

You could understand Volume Activation Services for KMS by checking the information in the link below.

https://secureinfra.blog/2019/01/13/understanding-volume-activation-services-part-1-kms-and-mak/

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Darrell Gorter Monday, November 11, 2019 4:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by CynthiaNg Thursday, November 14, 2019 10:50 PM
    Monday, November 11, 2019 7:09 AM