none
Windows 7 64 USB (Built-In) Webcam Problem

Question

• After searching the web and this forum for some answers I realized there are many many problems with USB Webcams from different manufacturers. (please see the link below).  My PC is fairly new Dell E6400 Laptop (Duo II with 4GB of RAM and nVidia video card with 256MB) with integrated Creative Webcam and despite all my efforts, installing different drivers in different compatiibility modes including the one released by Dell/Creative only few weeks ago - my webcam does not work.  The driver is installed and the device is being reported by Device Manager as working properly yet none of the applications such as Windows Live Messenger not Skype can utilize the video stream, reporting inability to connect to webcam and that a "different application is utilizing camera".
    Since I found threads regarding many different webcam vendors (including MS), PC configurations and drivers involved I suspect that this is an issue with Windows 7 itself and not the webcams nor their drivers.  BTW. My webcam was properly working under Vista 64 i.e. before the upgrade to Win7 RC (7100).  I am frsustrated that there is no release regarding this issue anb no available solution / fix to the problem. What is going on?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Search/en-US/?Refinement=112&query=webcam&rq=meta:Search.MSForums.ForumID(3a9dfd27-86e3-49bb-9722-56102b287ff4)&rn=Windows+7+Hardware+Compatibility+Forum
    • Edited by l-user Monday, May 04, 2009 5:22 AM
    Monday, May 04, 2009 5:20 AM

Answers

• Hi L-User,

Did you do an in place upgrade? If so: try searching Windows Update for the drivers.
    I've just installed on a similar confguration (E6500 with Creative Cam) but I've done a clean install (as i don't believe in correctly working upgrades) and all works perfectly.

As a side note: I just can't seem to find the drivers for my "Broadcom USH w/swipe Sensor" and my "Dell Wireless 5530 HSPA Mobile Broadband Device".

Very annoying the latter two, as I'd like to start to use them again...

Good luck anyway in finding a solution, I hope my tips help out..

Thierry

Thierry

It was an upgrade from Vista 64 where everything was working.  Try looking for drivers under E6400. I think I saw something for the HSPA and Broadcom there and these two machines are almost identical.

Thierry gets the prize. Clean install of 7100 x64 (w/o reformatting) solved the issue.  The webcam works now perfect and w/o any of Dell software.
    I went the minimal way letting Windows Update install all recommended drivers and updates, it seems that MS did their homework as they even had the new nVidia (beta?) driver.  Anyways everything works now.

Thanks so much everyone!  Hope this thread will save others with the same problem a lot of time.

• Marked as answer by l-user Tuesday, May 05, 2009 3:48 PM
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 3:47 PM

All replies

• Hi L-User,

Did you do an in place upgrade? If so: try searching Windows Update for the drivers.
    I've just installed on a similar confguration (E6500 with Creative Cam) but I've done a clean install (as i don't believe in correctly working upgrades) and all works perfectly.

As a side note: I just can't seem to find the drivers for my "Broadcom USH w/swipe Sensor" and my "Dell Wireless 5530 HSPA Mobile Broadband Device".

Thierry
    Monday, May 04, 2009 9:55 AM
  • I have a Dell E6500 with the same configuration.  I have Win7 7100 64bit installed with the Webcam working.  What I had to do was first install the Webcam support from the Dell Webcam for Business CD R503D, A00.  That installed a working Webcam driver.  I then installed the update from the Dell support site.  The update was Dell Webcam Appl, v1.0.06, A01, 11-26-2008 to get the latest support installed.  I tried other install combinations, but this was the only one that worked on my E6500.  I did have it fail on boot a couple of times so I now have it set to not start when windows start.  It does start OK after system startup.  I change the startup option by right clicking on the system tray icon.

Hope this helps with your problem. 

My system has been very reliable since installing build 7100.

Monday, May 04, 2009 12:29 PM
  • I have a Dell E6500 with the same configuration.  I have Win7 7100 64bit installed with the Webcam working.  What I had to do was first install the Webcam support from the Dell Webcam for Business CD R503D, A00.  That installed a working Webcam driver.  I then installed the update from the Dell support site.  The update was Dell Webcam Appl, v1.0.06, A01, 11-26-2008 to get the latest support installed.  I tried other install combinations, but this was the only one that worked on my E6500.  I did have it fail on boot a couple of times so I now have it set to not start when windows start.  It does start OK after system startup.  I change the startup option by right clicking on the system tray icon.

Hope this helps with your problem. 

My system has been very reliable since installing build 7100.

Spicewood,

Thanks so much. Any help appreciated as I am slowly going nuts....  I do not have any CD's as I did not expect to ever want Dell's soft again.  Do you know where to get the Dell Webcam for Business app or do you know the exact file name of this soft?  Dell is not really forthcoming when it comes to software other then basic drivers....

So, first install Dell Webcam for Business ver. A00 (was that the file 1.00.08.0216, A00 ?)
    Then install Dell Webcam App v1.0.06 A01 (update)

As far as the start up option is concerned.  When you say I you changed the startup option, do you mean you change the process start up option? what was the process name that you changed?

Thanks so much again...
    Monday, May 04, 2009 3:34 PM
  • What is the "Hardware ID" of your webcam (find in device manager, right-click device -> select properties -> details -> drop down list)?
    Monday, May 04, 2009 3:49 PM
  • I suggest first trying the newest, A06 at 
     http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R213648&SystemID=LAT_E6500&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=16027&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=3&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=17&fileid=302206 
    Release Date: 27/03/2009

Level of Importance: Urgent
    Dell highly recommends applying this update as soon as possible. The update contains changes to improve the reliability and availability of your Dell system.
    Systems  
      Latitude E4300
    Latitude E6400
    Latitude E6400 ATG
    Latitude E6500
    Dell Precision Mobile WorkStation M2400
    Dell Precision Mobile WorkStation M4400
    Dell Precision Mobile WorkStation M6400
    Studio Laptop 1435
    Studio Laptop 1535
    Studio Laptop 1536
    Studio Laptop 1537
    Studio Laptop 1735
    Studio Laptop 1737
    Studio XPS Laptop 1340
    Studio XPS Laptop 1640

, a new release, if that don't work the A01 update as well as A03 are located at
    http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/previousversions.aspx?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=LAT_E6500&releaseid=R213648&vercnt=3&deviceid=16027&formatcnt=1&releasetype=DRVR&servicetag=&catid=-1&libid=17&impid=-1&osl=en&os=WLH

You may not need A00 as A01 or any of the other should install drivers, It just may be a matter of finding which works for you
    Monday, May 04, 2009 3:57 PM

• USB\VID_0C45&PID_63F8&REV_8806&MI_00
    USB\VID_0C45&PID_63F8&MI_00

I already tried the latest and greatest drivers to no avail...
    • Edited by l-user Monday, May 04, 2009 4:19 PM
    Monday, May 04, 2009 4:16 PM
  • how about the two drivers located on the page I linked to on the bottom of my post, one of them is the A01 that the other user had luck with?
    Monday, May 04, 2009 4:30 PM
  • how about the two drivers located on the page I linked to on the bottom of my post, one of them is the A01 that the other user had luck with?

I am trying right now ;)

By the way, is it possible that my avast anti-virus software interferes somehow?

Update. Still nothing. What was that Spicewood was talking about changing the start up method? How do I do it? I can find a process or device with a name similar to Cam or Webcam or Creative running on my machine...
    Monday, May 04, 2009 4:32 PM
  • there is also a bunch listed at http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=USB%5CVID_0C45%26PID_63F8%26MI_00 also labeled as Win7 compatable
    Monday, May 04, 2009 4:40 PM
  • According to Creative's webite Win7 drivers for their webcams officially expected release Q3
    Monday, May 04, 2009 4:48 PM
  • there is also a bunch listed at http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=USB%5CVID_0C45%26PID_63F8%26MI_00 also labeled as Win7 compatable

Thanks buddy, I am downloading what is specifically indenfied as win7 soft....  Let's see...
    Monday, May 04, 2009 4:51 PM
  • Hi L-User,

Thierry

Thierry

It was an upgrade from Vista 64 where everything was working.  Try looking for drivers under E6400. I think I saw something for the HSPA and Broadcom there and these two machines are almost identical.
    Monday, May 04, 2009 4:59 PM
  • Depending on what exactly the driver installs, either
    1.) click on start, enter msconfig on the start line, press enter. Look through the "startup" tab for something to do with "creative" and then you can disable it, or
    2.) If something is installed as a "service" then you can check this by clicking on the "services" tab in MSConfig and either disable it from there or  if that is something that MUST run as a service you can right-click on "Computer" -> "Manage" -> "Services and Applications" -> "Services" , locate the service that runs your webcam and right-click -> properties -> change the startup type to either "Disabled" or "Automatic - Delayed Start"
    You can start the service manually if disabled by going throgh most these steps, or you could create a short-cut and place it on the desktop...
    Monday, May 04, 2009 4:59 PM
  • Re: Inspiron 1525 Integrated WebCam not working in Vista 64bit (new install)
    By shawnshine in General Hardware

I wanted to update a recent development. During the install, this time I noticed something I hadn't before, the package wanted to install in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell  directory. On a gut instinct hunch, I changed this to C:\Program Files\Dell.  I'll be danged if this didn't work. I followed what was essentially the same steps, only this time I let the camera install in the Program Files (x86) directory. And as I suspected, the camera did not work. I then re-installed Win7 following the same steps as earlier putting camera in the C:\Program Files\Dell directory and camera works great.  I've since fixed a couple other software installation issues by doing the same thing. If you have problems with 32 bit software running correctly, it is worth trying to chage the default installation directory. Note: I never did get Media Direct 3.5 to every work again, not that I really care. MD3.5 is a *** anyway.

Did you try that? Similar method got some software working on my system?
    Monday, May 04, 2009 5:36 PM
  • Shakey

I am not sure what packace is shawshine referring to. The driver uncompresses to c:\dell\drivers from where the executable is being run.

There is no directory to specify where the drivers are being sent to.... 

I checked processes that are running on my machine and there is nothing that remotely resembles names like Creative, Integrated Cam, Camera or Dell Camera. Nothing to stop or to start. 

Monday, May 04, 2009 6:22 PM
  • Shakey

I am not sure what packace is shawshine referring to. The driver uncompresses to c:\dell\drivers from where the executable is being run.

There is no directory to specify where the drivers are being sent to.... 

I checked processes that are running on my machine and there is nothing that remotely resembles names like Creative, Integrated Cam, Camera or Dell Camera. Nothing to stop or to start. 

Is their nothing in C:\ Program Files\Dell  ?or I should say  C:\Program Files (X86)\Dell
    Monday, May 04, 2009 6:35 PM
  • I checked the driver files, seems it does install some kind of service, from the inf file;

"CtlCam.NTamd64.6.Services] ; WinVista x64
    AddService =%VideoServiceName%,%SPSVCINST_ASSOCSERVICE%,CtlCam.ServiceInstall
    AddService =%UpperFilterServiceName%,,UpperFilter.ServiceInstall"

I am no expert, but is there a service called CtlCam? I think from that, that could be the name...??
    If by chance it is, try restarting the service?
    Monday, May 04, 2009 6:42 PM
  • I checked the driver files, seems it does install some kind of service, from the inf file;

"CtlCam.NTamd64.6.Services] ; WinVista x64
    AddService =%VideoServiceName%,%SPSVCINST_ASSOCSERVICE%,CtlCam.ServiceInstall
    AddService =%UpperFilterServiceName%,,UpperFilter.ServiceInstall"

I am no expert, but is there a service called CtlCam? I think from that, that could be the name...??
    If by chance it is, try restarting the service?

Nope. Nothing. 
    Monday, May 04, 2009 8:01 PM
  • I called Dell support to get the CD.  I ordered the E6500 from Dell Outlet and it had Vista Business installed and they did not ship any CD or DVD with the system.  I wanted to install Vista Ultimate so I called Dell and had them ship me a set of disc's. 

I could only get the webcam working by installing the CD verision first.  The othe updates from the Dell support site kept complaining about not finding the webcam or Dell Webcam Central.  After I install the CD version I have alway be able to updated it with the latest from the  Dell support site. 

I am sorry about the confusion on the startup option.  When Dell Webcam Central is runing the icon shows in the system tray on the bottom right (or the new popup window).  If I right click on the icon, I can change some options and one of them is "Start Dell Webcam Central when Windows starts".  That is the option I unchecked.  I unchecked it because a couple of time the webcam did not initialize when windows started.  It always starts if I use Windows Start Programs to start Webcam Central when I want to use the webcam.

If you want my to get the driver version information from the CD just let me know and I'll look at the .iso.

BTW)  I updated the webcam support with "Creative Technology Ltd. - Streaming Media and Broadcast - Integrated Webcam" from Windows update on 4/27/2009.  That update seems to be working fine.  Device Manager now shows a version of 1.6.3.309 with a date of 3/9/2009

Let me know if I can help...

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 12:24 AM
  • I called Dell support to get the CD.  I ordered the E6500 from Dell Outlet and it had Vista Business installed and they did not ship any CD or DVD with the system.  I wanted to install Vista Ultimate so I called Dell and had them ship me a set of disc's. 

I could only get the webcam working by installing the CD verision first.  The othe updates from the Dell support site kept complaining about not finding the webcam or Dell Webcam Central.  After I install the CD version I have alway be able to updated it with the latest from the  Dell support site. 

I am sorry about the confusion on the startup option.  When Dell Webcam Central is runing the icon shows in the system tray on the bottom right (or the new popup window).  If I right click on the icon, I can change some options and one of them is "Start Dell Webcam Central when Windows starts".  That is the option I unchecked.  I unchecked it because a couple of time the webcam did not initialize when windows started.  It always starts if I use Windows Start Programs to start Webcam Central when I want to use the webcam.

If you want my to get the driver version information from the CD just let me know and I'll look at the .iso.

BTW)  I updated the webcam support with "Creative Technology Ltd. - Streaming Media and Broadcast - Integrated Webcam" from Windows update on 4/27/2009.  That update seems to be working fine.  Device Manager now shows a version of 1.6.3.309 with a date of 3/9/2009

Let me know if I can help...

Don't suppose there is any chance of you zipping up the driver folder for the webcam from the CD and uploading it to a shared folder on skydrive or rapidshare or something of the sort?
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 12:49 AM
  • Hi L-User,

Thierry

Thierry

Thierry gets the prize. Clean install of 7100 x64 (w/o reformatting) solved the issue.  The webcam works now perfect and w/o any of Dell software.
    I went the minimal way letting Windows Update install all recommended drivers and updates, it seems that MS did their homework as they even had the new nVidia (beta?) driver.  Anyways everything works now.

Thanks so much everyone!  Hope this thread will save others with the same problem a lot of time.

• Marked as answer by l-user Tuesday, May 05, 2009 3:48 PM
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 3:47 PM