none
Windows 8 Enterprise does not have all the features of Pro RRS feed

• Question

• Everything I have found from Microsoft says that Windows 8 Enterprise has all the featuers of Pro.  That doesn't seem to be true.

I'd love to be proven mistaken, but Windows Media Center does not seem to be availalbe to Enterprise.  Only Pro.   Only a wikipedia page can call that out (from what I have found anyway).  Enterprise does not have the Add windows feature tool. 

Any way to get Media Center?
    Any acutal Microsoft information that points this out?  Just so I can stop looking.

Thanks

Friday, August 17, 2012 8:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

The Media Center is an optional component and will be a separate purchase for Windows 8 Pro.

You cannot install WMC on the W8 Enterprise version.

Regards

• Marked as answer by Arthur XieModerator Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:41 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by super1 Tuesday, August 21, 2012 8:58 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Carey FrischMVP Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:38 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by super1 Wednesday, August 22, 2012 2:54 PM
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 4:47 AM
  • Ronnie is 100% correct, please have a look at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/03/making-windows-media-center-available-in-windows-8.aspx to see the options for running Media Center. Enterprise is not one of them.

Blogging about Windows for IT pros at www.theexperienceblog.com

• Marked as answer by Arthur XieModerator Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:41 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by super1 Tuesday, August 21, 2012 8:58 PM
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 6:59 AM
  • Is anyone able to find the official Microsoft breakdown of features?  A blog here or there doesn't seem very official.  Is that all there is?
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:10 PM
  • The Building Windows 8 blog is really one of very few official channels as to this date that reveal such information. So until more information is published this is all we got and the intel is good to go.

Blogging about Windows for IT pros at www.theexperienceblog.com

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:24 PM
  • @super1 Check this Blog post of the Windows Team Blog - Announcing the Windows 8 Editions

It provides the chart which breaks down key features by edition.

• Proposed as answer by jtgrindrod Thursday, August 23, 2012 1:06 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by super1 Thursday, August 23, 2012 4:42 PM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:44 PM
  • Nope, Enterprise is not in that chart.  In fact it is part of the problem.  It only mentions Enterprise to say "Windows 8 Enterprise includes all the features of Windows 8 Pro" which is false.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 8:58 PM
  • I read this and mistook it to be from an accurate source within Microsoft: http://blogs.technet.com/b/uspartner_ts2team/archive/2012/08/16/media-center-in-windows-8.aspx

Really annoying and disappointing if this is the case. I just rebuilt my system from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 7 Enterprise as I wanted to go to Windows 8 Enterprise to get all of the corporate enhancements to help me in my job in corporate IT. I just happen to like watching TV via Media Center.

• Marked as answer by super1 Thursday, August 23, 2012 4:43 PM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:22 PM
  • My guess would be "why do you need Windows Media Center at work".

Below is a breakout of all the features.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-secrets-book-guide-product-editions-144067

Jon

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:35 PM
  • This is for a school. We use enterprise because that is what Microsoft will license to us. Under Windows 8 there is no DVD playback of any kind unless you get Media Center. We used media center in the past because it lets us load school videos on the HD and play DVDs. Now we have to change our media software to non Microsoft while arguing with those that keep saying that Enterprise has all the features of Pro.

So that is why we need it and why it is disappointing that you can't even pay for the add on.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:42 PM
  • I just got an email from Microsoft Technet saying "Windows 8 Enterprise features include all the
    capabilities of Windows 8 Pro plus premium features..."

Sigh

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:43 PM
  • So you are telling us that Windows 8 Enterprise will have no way to natively play DVDs? The obvious question is why? We want features like Windows-To-Go and Direct Access and are willing to pay for them with Enterprise. Why are you removing functionality from the top Windows edition? I do not care about Media Center in particular, it would just be nice for our users and admins not to juggle some third-party software solely for DVD playback.

Monday, August 27, 2012 6:28 PM
  • I created a blog post with as much information as I could find on this from research I have done on the Microsoft website.

http://msftcert.blogspot.com/2012/11/windows-8-features-by-edition-70-687.html

This post gives a quick outline of each version of the operating system and expands on other tables comparing the versions by including information for Windows 8 Enterprise edition
    Sunday, November 25, 2012 2:17 AM