none
tree view is no longer useful in windows explorer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am a big fan of windows explorer.  I think it's a very good file browser.  But I depend too much in the tree view on the left hand side to keep track of where am I right now.  In 7, when I browse double-clicking on folders, the tree view will not auto-expand.  And when I click on a link to a folder, the tree view is in the starting point (Desktop).  I find this really unproductive and a step back from the previous explorer.  Anyone else agrees with this?  Is there any way of making the tree view work the way it did on XP/Vista and earlier?
    Thanks!
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Eoy4

Check the following setting.

Click Organize / Folder and Search Options.

On the General Tab, make sure that the Automatically expand to current folder option is selected.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7 Beta

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Marked as answer by eoy4 Wednesday, May 6, 2009 10:35 PM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 10:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Eoy4

Check the following setting.

Click Organize / Folder and Search Options.

On the General Tab, make sure that the Automatically expand to current folder option is selected.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7 Beta

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Marked as answer by eoy4 Wednesday, May 6, 2009 10:35 PM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 10:24 PM
  • Ronnie,

Thank you!  I guess I didn't look for the option, 'cause it didn't occur to me that something like that would be an optional setting.  I'm at work (using XP) right now, but when I get home I'll try this! :)  You just made my Win7 experience a whole lot better if this works!  haha

Cheers.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 10:28 PM
  • There is another problem with the new Explorer, though.

Inexplicably, the expand/collapse controls on folders are hidden unless the cursor is in the left pane.  Why?  This prevents the user from determining at a glance which items have child items.  It also looks like the controls don't exist, which prompts the user to dig around under the options, trying to figure out how to restore them.

It's utterly pointless, because the "+" and "-" don't even require additional space.

Is the user supposed to sweep the cursor across everything on the screen, looking for peek-a-poo UI nuggets?

This kind of thing is a big step backward in usability and user-friendliness.
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 12:51 AM
  • Yeah, especially because in a tablet PC you can't 'hover' that easily over things.  It's weird, because other features of the user interface are optimized for tablet PCs, yet this seems to break away from that.

The fact that you can't see the + and - doesn't bother me too much though, but you do have a point.
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 12:56 AM
  • I just noticed that if the last place you clicked was in the left pane, the + and - symbols will stay when you roll out.  But as soon as you click in the right pane, they start playing peek-a-boo.

Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:36 AM
  • Hi Martin

Ambiance?  :)

I know what your saying, I had a tough time with this 'feature' when Vista was first released.

Regards,

Thank You for testing Windows 7 RC

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 4:04 AM
  • Where should we go to voice our opinion about the +/-/expand/collapse icons fading in/out behavior? If Microsoft thinks that there is some benefit to this (which I don't) then they could at least make the behavior configurable.
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 3:43 PM
  • You're supposed to be able to go here:

https://connect.microsoft.com

but it's BS.  Windows itself is missing from the products; it's not even listed among those "not accepting" bug reports or suggestions.  Pathetic.

I did find this, though:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/contactbug/en-us

Give it a shot.

Friday, July 2, 2010 12:10 AM
  • Hi

Here is the current feedback link for Windows 7.

Windows 7 feedback - Speak to us at Microsoft

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, July 2, 2010 5:20 AM
  • Thanks.
    Friday, July 2, 2010 5:35 PM
  • Does anyone know if this is fixed in Win7 SP1 RC ? or if there's an added option to enable/disable this behavior of hiding the folding icons (expand/collapse icons) ? (I'm already up to date, I wonder if I need this SP1)
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 10:15 AM