none
DVD drive doesn't read dvd movies

Question

• Hi everyone, i'm having the following situation:

I'm from Brazil and i have a LG combo drive (GSA-H58N) which can read and burn both data cd's and dvd's. But it doesn't read any of my dvd movies. First i thought that could be a missing codec, so i've tried installing a k-lite full pack codec but nothing happened. Also, i checked the dvd region, tried to reinstall it, but no sucess =/ . On win XP, it worked perfetcly! But recently i installed windows 7 32bits and the problem started. Could be a driver problem?? Something wrong with cdrom.sys?? Windows 7 works with ASPI drivers?? Cause i can't find them here. Waiting for some help! Thanks!!

Victor

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 2:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Vlotoy,

I would like to confirm the following questions first:

1.    What is the accurate issue, the DVD movie disk cannot be recognized or it can be recognized but cannot be read?

2.    All the DVD movie disks cannot work or only a few of them cannot work?

3.    Can your optical drive read other CD/DVD disks normally?

I also would like to show you the following link to check if it can fix the issue for you.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060#fixit4me

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 2:34 AM

All replies

• Does Windows Update offer any drivers for your hardware?

It's a...jump...to conclusions...mat.
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:08 PM
  • No...i've tried to update manually but it says that the last version of the software is already installed. =/ Also i've installed some dvd players (PowerDVD 9, WinDVD Pro 2010, Nero Show Time) cause of the plugins and codecs that come with them to see if they help, but so far...no success!! I've already dismounted the dvd drive and cleaned the cannon. I didn't try to adjust the trimpots because i don't have a screwdriver that small! xD Still waiting for any help and ideas! Thanks!

Victor

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 12:26 AM
  • Hi Vlotoy,

I would like to confirm the following questions first:

1.    What is the accurate issue, the DVD movie disk cannot be recognized or it can be recognized but cannot be read?

2.    All the DVD movie disks cannot work or only a few of them cannot work?

3.    Can your optical drive read other CD/DVD disks normally?

I also would like to show you the following link to check if it can fix the issue for you.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060#fixit4me

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 2:34 AM