this device cannot start (code 10)

Question

• I am having a problem with my cd/dvd drive. It won't read discs and when I go into device manager it has LITE-ON DVDRW LH - 18A1P ATA Device and beside it is a yellow triangle. Check for solutions to send data about this device to Microsoft and see if there is a solution available. Under solutions could not load driver.  It used to work but only last week when I tried it wouldn't do anything. I have tried your solutions that were given to najeyajpa but they didn't work. Any other solutions?

If someone could help ASP that would be great!!
    Saturday, March 15, 2008 1:34 AM

Answers

• if I were to reccomend anything, it would be to just get Windows 7. Everyone knows now that Vista has so many errors because of it's rushed release, and therefore is a completely unreliable operating system to use. Windows 7 is like vista, with some visual changes and 99% less errors. Trust me on this one, an owner of Vista for about a year or two and then reluctantly upgraded to windows 7 , and it's the best thing I've done! It's so much better, and not lighyears away from Vista in terms of use, so no getting used to a completely different OS. Getting 7 means there'll be a much better chance of these now-simple errors being fixed, or at least windows HELPING you to find out how to fix it. The troubleshoot feature does every diagnostic a paid technician will do and will suggest answers fpr you. It's so much better than the mistake of Vista, I would upgrade!
    Friday, December 17, 2010 12:24 AM

All replies

• In Device Manager, right-click on your DVD drive and select uninstall.  Restart your computer and Vista will automatically reinstall it properly.

Saturday, March 15, 2008 2:36 PM
  • Carey that didn't work either!! Thanks for the help though.
    Sunday, March 16, 2008 5:58 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

Step 1 If you have any third-party CD/DVD-burning software such as Naro or Roxio installed, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".

Step 2 Delete Filter Drivers

==================

1. Click Start, type regedit and press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer.

Step 3 Reinstall the DVDRW drive

======================

1. Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

2. Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives.

3. Right-click the DVDRW drive and click Uninstall. Restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

• Proposed as answer by ZenMatter Wednesday, May 18, 2011 4:28 PM
    Monday, March 17, 2008 3:40 AM
  • Tried all that and nothing works!! I am getting it looked at tomorrow. Hopefully it's nothing too bad.
    Tuesday, March 18, 2008 3:28 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

Thank you for the reply.

Please understand most CD/DVD drive issues can be resolved after performing the above steps. I suggest trying these steps again.

If the issue persists, please help me collect the following information:

1.    When did the DVDRW work last time?

2.    Have any changes been made on the computer recently, such as an installation or upgrade?

3.    Can the DVDRW work on other computer now?

In addition, please send me the System Information for further research.

1.  Press Start, type in msinfo32 in the Start Search bar and then press Enter.

2.  Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3.  Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

4.  Send the compressed file to me.

I have created a FTP site and you can upload the file to me from the following the following site:

https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/ChooseTransfer.aspx?key=72d1712a-d3ff-4248-a948-26f42e470b5b

Password: nEoQ6Jr*AC1-

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 5:48 AM
  • Thanks for a useful forum

I am having exactly the same problem but with using a USB Presenter Drive, (Combined laser pointer/Powerpoint 'mouse'/250MB Drive).

I have checked the information regarding 'regedit' and looked for the entry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

However I have found about 6 entries the same, all showing "{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}", that causes me some confusion and naturally I haven't taken any further action as yet!

The machine I have the problem with is an Acer Aspire 5720 laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium - the USB Presenter Drive works perfectly on my Acer Travelmate 250 with Microsoft XP Home but not on the new Acer with Vista.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, March 21, 2008 1:38 PM
  • Hi mr webname,

Please make sure you have six {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entries.

Please understand its <"its" is unclear>adjoining entries are similar. They can be {4D36E966-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, {4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and so on.

If the case is that six {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entries do exist, please back up the registry key and then delete the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, March 24, 2008 7:28 AM
  • I have the same problem with the disappearing CD/DVD drive. I thought a complete reload of Vista using SP1 might solve this, but it did not. I do not have any filters showing under the key discussed above. Any other ideas?

Monday, March 31, 2008 4:22 PM
  •  Tim Quan - MSFT wrote:

Hi there. I got as far as stage 4 of step 2, but I have no idea of what values for upperfilters and lowerfilters look like. The details for mine are: Lowerfilters - PxHelp20, Upperfilters - GEARAspiWDM. Is it safe to delete these?

I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

Step 1 If you have any third-party CD/DVD-burning software such as Naro or Roxio installed, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".

Step 2 Delete Filter Drivers

==================

1. Click Start, type regedit and press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer.

Step 3 Reinstall the DVDRW drive

======================

1. Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

2. Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives.

3. Right-click the DVDRW drive and click Uninstall. Restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 12:27 PM
  • i still have XP anyone know how to solve this problem on XP?

Saturday, May 03, 2008 12:46 AM
  • Great troubleshooting the issue. I have tried the steps, Upperfilters is present but Lowerfilters are not present.

What would you suggest?
    Sunday, May 04, 2008 4:25 AM
  • I had my computer fixed about 6 weeks ago and it had to have a new driver put in it and yesterday it has failed yet again. I can't begin to tell you how annoyed I am. Vista sucks and someone needs to fix the bloody problem. So now I am back to square one and no doubt will have to get the computer man out to fix it again. Last time we were without it for a week and we have out book work on it and really can't be without the computer. I have tried all the suggestions and nothing works but I will try them again. Any other suggestions would be a great help.

Sunday, May 11, 2008 3:56 AM
  • Problem solved! Thanks BIG thanks 4 everthing. This worked with perfection on win Xp  Tim Quan &Jacqs, love yall man. Anytime your in the bahamas, Freeport tobe exact, check me out man ! God bless, LATA!!!!!!!!

Thursday, June 19, 2008 2:22 PM
  • Hi Tim

I got same problem after i did some upgrades from intel/hp about a month ago.

I tried the removing the LowerFilter and DVD drive appears on reboot but removes itself from device manager /and/ my computer after some time.

To bring it back I do "scan for hardware changes", which works some times (some times gives error that device drive is already loaded with a yellow triangle, and I have to reboot in this situation)

and then it goes away itself again.

even if it appears in my computer , my software/s (roxio dvd burner/HP dvd player etc except window dvd maker) still unable to detect the dvd drive.

I cant seem to get it working flawless.

now as it doesnt work i have again loaded the backup.reg to have lower filter value back in the registry.

i also tried removing and reinstalling dvd drive as well as IDE channels from devide manager. but nogo.

can u help me here.

Saturday, October 04, 2008 8:55 PM
  •  

Hi..

I tried all this and I still am having issues with my DVD/CD.  Can you help me please/

I cannot say when this started.  One day I had use and the next day I did not.

Thank you

ellbee123

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 12:41 AM
  • Tim, you're an absolute legend. Worked for me.

Something of note if anybody was following Tim's advice, I uninstalled a program called NTI CD/DVD burner - which I had actually got from Acer. This appeared beside Upperfilters in regedit. It appears to have installed useless drivers for my DVD Rom drive which have now disappeared in Device Manager.

Follow this word for word and with care and it'll work.
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 1:08 PM
  • I guess I'm feeling lucky.

i deleted the storage controller from the device manager, and reboot windows which detected and reintalled the microsoft default Standard ACHI SATA driver, instead of updated intel ICH8m-e/m SATA driver

and there i go, its been over 15 hours and i dont have and error message in event log regarding my CD drive till now.

Hopefully atleast this could help if anyone of you is using the same driver, just go ahead and rollback the storage driver and try if that works for you.

PS:My laptop is HP and beside HP support was forcing me to get the computer restored to factory settings as a easy try to fix the problem, i was not giving up. Contacting Microsoft hasn't proved any useful either and then suddenly i started to look at my storage drivers from Intel.

I went to driveragent.com which reported my intel ICH8m-em SATA driver for my laptop chipset is out of date, which led me to goto intel.com and look at the latest driver available there for my chipset storage drivers ICH8m-e/m. A quick look at known issues clearly indicated the Optical Disk Drive power wake up request for change of status D3 to D1 is not passing through the driver.So i started thinking that there was my problem,

I contacted HP support again to ask them if they know this issue, their reply came that being my CD Driver is not SATA capable so it wont matter issue regarding that driver.

i still tried the latest version but it gave me same problem. so i tried the above solution and find it worked.

Note: HP and Microsoft Support is still thinking why removing a SATA driver worked for a ATA drive....let them think whatever i dont care as long as my cd drive works.

Sunday, November 09, 2008 3:37 PM
  • That only works if there is nothing wrong with your system in the first place. You can uninstall and physically remove the drive. If the problem is in the registry when you physically reinstall the drive and restart the system you will still have a code 10. You have to repair the problem where the problem exist in the registry. Uninstalling the device in the device manager dosen't fix the registry. IT SHOULD, but it doesen't.

Thursday, November 27, 2008 6:29 PM
  • Tim,

Just wanted to let you know that this solution worked really well for me!  Thank you for taking the time to share your technical expertise.  Much appreciated!

Sunday, March 08, 2009 3:18 AM
  • allright this worked to find my cd/dvd burner but my drivers are on a nero disk and the computer gets a hyperthread error and the installer keeps shutin off any suggestions would be helpful thanks
    Saturday, September 05, 2009 1:35 AM
  • This worked for me, thanks Tim!
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 8:03 PM
  • Tim Quan,

You are a real genius.  I have been searching and trying so many fixes. I read  yours, assumed it would not work, read about some users not having luck, then just ignored your response.

Then, I read it again, read further saw some successes and said what the heck?  Dell wanted 49.00 as I am out of warranty and I would have been on phone for 200 hours speaking over the Pacific Ocean and not getting any results.

Your procedure worked to perfection. A real genius.  Thanks. 

Greg

Thursday, January 07, 2010 5:42 AM
  • Hello Tim
    I have thes same error message  with the network adapter of my laptop  "this device cannot start (code 10)". I tried to reinstall the network driver but the problem persit. whit the yellow trianble beside the driver into device manager.
    Could I follow the steps you mentioned above for this particular case?
    Regards.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:44 PM
  • Hello Every one,

i have a toshiba laptop, with Win Vista in it. I didnt had this problem but, this code 10 error the device cannot start, started coming on my sound driver.
    i tried reinstalling the driver, updated the driver with new one but this didnt worked. i am having a real hard time fixing this code 10 error on my laptop.
    My sound driver is from realtek.
    Please help me out with this, it would be much appreciated.

thank you  regards
    rksm2002in
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 6:56 PM
  • TIM,
    thank you so much.... it worked on my laptop. but can you help me with my other problem?

i had an external dvd writer its working well before but now i cant burn anymore.. i already formatted my laptop but still it cant burn.. sometimes it can read cd's but offen times it cant.. it doesnt appear. but i tried it on other pc it works well.. so i think my laptop is the problem.... what should i do? anyone... PLEASE HELP.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 2:43 AM
  • TIM,
    thank you so much.... it worked on my laptop. but can you help me with my other problem?

i had an external dvd writer its working well before but now i cant burn anymore.. i already formatted my laptop but still it cant burn.. sometimes it can read cd's but offen times it cant.. it doesnt appear. but i tried it on other pc it works well.. so i think my laptop is the problem.... what should i do? anyone... PLEASE HELP.

hi ,

you have to install the software that came with it , ....

if you no longer have the disk check the brand wesite of the device

have a nice day
    Scan with OneCare + 50 Windows 7even Tips + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR+ Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Office 2010 beta + Get Windows LIVE!
    Monday, February 15, 2010 10:17 PM
  • Hey Tim,

Im having trouble with an edimax 802.11g wireless pci card in windows 7 64 bit. I downloaded the correct drives from the edimax site, only to have it work and then crash immediately. It went from unusuable via drivers to unusable via code 10. Any suggestions? I have tried restarting, reinstalling/rolling back drivers, etc. Nothing seems to work.

Monday, June 21, 2010 5:42 AM
  • I'm getting this error on a Win 7 Home Premium install for a High Definition Audio Device that I do not know.  It lists no other information.  I thought it might be tied to the on-motherboard audio I have replaced with a Creative Labs Audigy SE (Which is also listed and running fine.)  Is there an easy fix?
    Monday, June 28, 2010 12:00 AM
  • Thanks Tim for the fix but what caused the problem as it sorted my win 7 machine with the same problem I tried 3 differant cd\dvdr and still had the same problem but your fix has done the job many thanks for the help
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:46 PM
  • Hello... Did you find a solution to solve this problem?. I also have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop and I started having this code 10 error. I tried reinstalling the drivers, and also I restarted the operation system with the restore disk but the problem is still there...  I will appreciate if you can help me.

Regards

RJRD

Thursday, July 01, 2010 1:48 AM
  • hey i have vista and it says the same thing to me its happened b4 and we took it to the shop and they fixed it and said it was itunes and my mate installed itunes on my pc and i dint realize until i got a new game and went to install it and the cd is gone again any sugestions
    Tuesday, July 06, 2010 12:36 AM
  • if I were to reccomend anything, it would be to just get Windows 7. Everyone knows now that Vista has so many errors because of it's rushed release, and therefore is a completely unreliable operating system to use. Windows 7 is like vista, with some visual changes and 99% less errors. Trust me on this one, an owner of Vista for about a year or two and then reluctantly upgraded to windows 7 , and it's the best thing I've done! It's so much better, and not lighyears away from Vista in terms of use, so no getting used to a completely different OS. Getting 7 means there'll be a much better chance of these now-simple errors being fixed, or at least windows HELPING you to find out how to fix it. The troubleshoot feature does every diagnostic a paid technician will do and will suggest answers fpr you. It's so much better than the mistake of Vista, I would upgrade!
    Friday, December 17, 2010 12:24 AM
  • Thanks a lot, I followed your instructions and it was fixed now my dvd rom works already... thanks again for the help...
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 4:47 PM
  • Tim,

I uninstalled the Roxio files I had.  I then went to start and typed regedit and pressed enter.  I can not find

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} anywhere in the file. if I can't find it i can't right click.

Help,

Rlpolk111

Sunday, January 16, 2011 8:43 PM
  • Thanks tim for your help

This worked for me!!

Your a genius....

Patrick

Thursday, February 03, 2011 1:30 AM

how the heck can this be the answer ? check the date !! win 7 was not even around when the first post was made !!
    Scan with OneCare + Support ENDING for windows Vista & XP ! + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR + Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Get OFFICE 2010 FREE ! 
    Monday, February 14, 2011 9:48 AM
  • my xp machine was doing the same thing after changing the power supply, what it turned out to be was the bios had changed and when I enabled the SATA function I forgot to also set the drives to IDE and SATA.  That got me rolling
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 12:43 AM
  • Revered Tim Quan!

I have windows 7 and i had the same problem [cd-rom: This device cannot start (code 10) ]. Your procedure/advice solved the problem! Thank you a lot for your assisstance!!!

Thursday, April 07, 2011 12:07 PM
  • time tested, followed your instructions this am and it worked perfectly, Thanks so much!
    Wednesday, May 04, 2011 12:50 PM
  • I have already tired this and it didn't fix the Code 10 problem
    Friday, May 06, 2011 7:17 PM
  • Excellent solution Tim!  Thank you so much for this information.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 4:28 PM
  • Tim,

First off, thank you so much for the information above.  Right after I uninstalled and reinstalled itunes, my computer stopped reading my CDs.  I followed your direction and it appears to now read my CDs in itunes HOWEVER, I'm still experiencing a problem.  The CD doesn't automatically pop up and when I got to My Computer and click on the E drive, it says:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Not sure what I did wrong?  I may have done something strange on your #4 directions with the upperfilters.  I deleted them but there was not a value.??  Any help you can provide is very much appreciated Tim!

Thanks,

Jewels

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 5:11 AM
  • Hey Tim,

Thanks a ton man... Fixed my issue with Samsung SH-S182D... Deleted the upper filter and Voila....

Appreciate your help!

Sam3er

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Thanks for your help so much!!!

Saturday, September 10, 2011 7:34 PM