none
Windows Explorer > Zip files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I am tired of trying to find a better place to make a "simple" suggestion. So, here goes... I hope I'm in an appropriate space - if not, Mod please move.

I simply want (please read: NEED to ease my pain) to to see an option added to the Windows Explorer > View Options... to switch OFF the VERY irritating so-called 'feature' in Win7 Explorer that shows Zip files as FOLDERS in the Navigation Pane.

I understand some people may like it. I simply DO NOT understand why we are unable to turn it off.

I DO NOT want to see Zip files in the left Navigation Pane auto-exploding as though they were folders... if I want to explode (open) a Zip files I will right-click to WinRar to do so.

I have searched these forums for hours and know I am not alone in this request.
    This one simple issue drives me to distraction and if I am unable to find a way around this I will consider staying with XP Pro for as long as I am able.

Otherwise, I have so far had a good experience with Win 7. After a few very solid (busy) weeks, networked to my XP box ( and the 'Net duh!) ... Not a single crash.
    So, good work Dev team... my hearty congratulations!

My System:
    Win 7 RC build 7100. Also Adobe CS4, CuteFTP Pro and various other Client App's. Firefox default browser - unless looking at MS sites such as this.
    Not that it's relevant but... mine is a new clean install on an AMD Phenom II X4 ; 8Gb RAM; HD 3300 graphics.

BTW, I skipped Vista on the basis of what I read on various tech forums and the -ve experience of several friends.

I am living in hope that (a) this Zip annoyance will be fixed and (b) there will be an intelligent path to upgrade/migrate this RC into a REAL release when Win7 gets to Retail.

Oh, and thanks for opportunity to try the Win 7 RC.
    Friday, August 28, 2009 10:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for sharing your suggestions in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Since Microsoft has included built-in zip support in Windows Operating Systems, the zip files are recognized as folder types. You can right click the zip file and click properties to see that the type of file is compressed folder. This is the reason why the compressed files display as folders in Navigation Panel. For your request, you don't want to see that the compressed files display as folders in Navigation Panel. I'm sorry to say it is by design, I'd like to forward your opinion to our related DEV team for consideration. Meanwhile, as a work around, you can change the type of files from .zip to .rar so as to not allow compressed files displaying in Navigation Panel. Thanks for your efforts and understanding, customers' opinions such as yours are always appreciated.

Best Regards.
    Dale Qiao
    Monday, August 31, 2009 9:19 AM
  • cDoubleUm,

If you seek on the net there are several hacks that allow you to disable the "zip folder" functionality in windows explorer.
    The following link provides you a quick tutorial how you perform this hack.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/13619-zip-folders-enable-disable-windows-explorer-view.html

CAUTION: This is a dirty hack witch means this hack is NOT supported by Microsoft.

Kind Regards
    DFT 
    IM me - TWiTTer: @DFTER
    • Proposed as answer by daft Monday, August 31, 2009 2:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dale QiaoModerator Thursday, September 3, 2009 12:49 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2009 1:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for sharing your suggestions in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Since Microsoft has included built-in zip support in Windows Operating Systems, the zip files are recognized as folder types. You can right click the zip file and click properties to see that the type of file is compressed folder. This is the reason why the compressed files display as folders in Navigation Panel. For your request, you don't want to see that the compressed files display as folders in Navigation Panel. I'm sorry to say it is by design, I'd like to forward your opinion to our related DEV team for consideration. Meanwhile, as a work around, you can change the type of files from .zip to .rar so as to not allow compressed files displaying in Navigation Panel. Thanks for your efforts and understanding, customers' opinions such as yours are always appreciated.

Best Regards.
    Dale Qiao
    Monday, August 31, 2009 9:19 AM
  • cDoubleUm,

If you seek on the net there are several hacks that allow you to disable the "zip folder" functionality in windows explorer.
    The following link provides you a quick tutorial how you perform this hack.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/13619-zip-folders-enable-disable-windows-explorer-view.html

CAUTION: This is a dirty hack witch means this hack is NOT supported by Microsoft.

Kind Regards
    DFT 
    IM me - TWiTTer: @DFTER
    • Proposed as answer by daft Monday, August 31, 2009 2:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dale QiaoModerator Thursday, September 3, 2009 12:49 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2009 1:59 PM