none
32 bit to 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• I am running 32 bit Windows Vista on my box.  Vista reports that my machine is 64 bit capable.  I have ordered the Windows 7 Professional Upgrade which appears to contain both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions, i.e., 

Windows 7 Professional (includes 32 & 64-bit versions) lets you run Windows XP productivity programs in Windows XP Mode, recover data easily with automatic backups to your home or business network, connect to company networks effortlessly and more securely.

I understand that you cannot upgrade 32 bit to 64 bit.  However, the "Installing and reinstalling Windows" information on the Microsoft website appears to indicate that you can "replace" the 32 bit version with the 64 bit version by doing a custom install.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows

It seems to indicate that you can install the 64 bit version in the same partition as the 32 bit partition, replacing it (after backing up all files).  Have I read all this correctly?

1.  The upgrade contains both 32 bit and 64 bit.
    2.  I can "replace" my 32 bit Vista with 64 bit Windows 7 using custom install.

Art
    Friday, July 10, 2009 6:04 PM

Answers

• That is correct.

1. The upgrade DVD contains both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows 7
    2. You can "replace" and not upgrade Vista 32 bit with Windows 7 64 bit using custom install.
    Ray
    Friday, July 10, 2009 9:12 PM