none
Unknown DHCP server issue

Question

• Hello,

My home network is supposed to have a typical IP range of 192.168.0.1-254 and subnet of 255.255.255.0, but for some unknown reason, the DHCP server is not assigning the correct IP to connected devices.  As a temporary solution, I've been manually assigning IP addresses to each and every device in my network.

I'm not sure how can I revert my network back to normal.  It was running fine for several months and suddenly this issue pops-up.  At present, the DHCP server seems to be not working at all.  If I tried to obtain IP automatically, I will get the following IP and subnet mask:

169.254.217.48 (Preferred)

I've tried to disconnect the potential devices (2 WiFi Repeaters which are set to AP mode - their SSID <g class="gr_ gr_706 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="706" id="706">are</g> MYS-1stFloor and MYS-2ndFloor) that may be causing the DHCP conflict and restarted the entire network, ensuring that only the intended DHCP server (the main router from my ISP) is connected to the network switch, but it doesn't work.  Somehow, an unknown network by the name of "MYS-1stFloor 3" appeared when I am connected to the network via LAN cable.  I have no idea where this network comes from.

Is there any way to check which device is taking over the role of the DHCP server?  Or maybe my router is faulty so its DHCP function is not working?

Monday, January 14, 2019 4:05 AM

All replies

• >169.254.217.48 (Preferred)
    >255.255.0.0

Means there is no DHCP Sever assigned address at all, so that's where I
    would check.  For some reason your router's DHCP isn't working.

Monday, January 14, 2019 12:41 PM
  • Hi,

Just like Bob said, your clients can't access the DHCP server.

Somehow, an unknown network by the name of "MYS-1stFloor 3" appeared when I am connected to the network via LAN cable.  

It seems that your DHCP server and clients are not on the same network. I would suggest you check the IP address of router interface.Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 6:46 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, January 18, 2019 9:17 AM