none
Windows 7 and Windows 8 RTM Dual Boot Setup RRS feed

• Question

• I have been attempting to install Windows 8 Pro x64 RTM onto my system in a dual boot setup. I created an empty partition on my second hard drive and after booting to the DVD selected the Advanced setup and selected the empty partition.

Everything seems to go fine as it went through all the steps, completing each one. When it completed the Installing Updates step (the one prior to Finishing up), it executes an automatic reboot with the countdown.

Upon reboot it immediately boots into Windows 7 every time. Running MSCONFIG and examining the bootloader, it only shows the Windows 7 boot (Current OS: Default OS), not the Windows 8.

Re-booting to the DVD and running the setup again only restarts the process from the beginning. It doesn't seem to be editing the bootloader for the dual boot.

I have gone back into disk management in Windows 7 and deleted the partition so it has become unallocated and tried again. This time it paused when it was rebooting like it was going to continue the Windows 8 setup, but then went and booted directly to Windows 7 again with no change to the bootloader.

Has anyone run into this?

My system is a Dell Precision M6400

8gb Ram

Primary HD - 128gb SSD (Windows 7 Pro x64)

Secondary HD - 500gb Seagate (2 Partitions)(120gb exclusive Partition for Windows 8 x64)

Thanks

• Edited by SLoweCSL Friday, August 17, 2012 2:21 PM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 1:44 PM

Answers

• When Windows 8 installation reboots try to reboot to second disk -

press one time boot device selection key:

Acer – F12
    Asus - F8
    Dell - F12
    eMachnes - F10
    Gateway - F10
    Gigabyte – F12
    HP,Compaq - Esc
    Sony - F2
    Toshiba - F12

See if you can finish installing Windows 8 ( boot to second disk using F12 )

I suspect Windows 8 is installing correct but Windows ALWAYS BOOTS TO FIRST DISK BY DEFAULT !

On first disk you have Windows 7 with its own BCD (in \boot\BCD)

On second disk you have Windows 8 with its own BCD (Boot Config Data).

(disk order is set in BIOS)

You can view complete contents of BCD either with:

bcdedit /enum all /v (on admin prompt)

or using Visual BCD Editor (http://www.boyans.net).

To be able to dual boot Win7+Win8 you must have:

1) on first disk Windows 8 boot manager + BCD with two entries (one for w7 and one for w8).

Boot related files are installed to active partition !

To create a proper dual-boot:

1) Boot to Windows 7.

2) run "Dual-boot Repair" utility that comes with Visual BCD and click on "Automatic Repair".

This will create/add an entry for W8 and make it the default boot choice.

Reboot and see if you have a boot menu with W7 and W8.

Try if boot selection can load W7, then after rebooting same for W8.

Happy booting !

Note:

If you have UEFI firmware things are not so easy as BIOS/MBR style booting and UEFI/GPT style booting differ !

You have to check boot order in firmware and eventually select old style MBR format for both disks - also for DVD/USB device used for installation !

I don't know what exactly happens during installation when you have a MBR disk set as first and a second disk in GPT format which is the destination for the install.

• Edited by BoYans Friday, August 17, 2012 3:18 PM added explanation for UEFI firmware
    • Marked as answer by SLoweCSL Friday, August 17, 2012 4:31 PM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 2:48 PM

All replies

• When Windows 8 installation reboots try to reboot to second disk -

press one time boot device selection key:

Acer – F12
    Asus - F8
    Dell - F12
    eMachnes - F10
    Gateway - F10
    Gigabyte – F12
    HP,Compaq - Esc
    Sony - F2
    Toshiba - F12

See if you can finish installing Windows 8 ( boot to second disk using F12 )

I suspect Windows 8 is installing correct but Windows ALWAYS BOOTS TO FIRST DISK BY DEFAULT !

On first disk you have Windows 7 with its own BCD (in \boot\BCD)

On second disk you have Windows 8 with its own BCD (Boot Config Data).

(disk order is set in BIOS)

You can view complete contents of BCD either with:

bcdedit /enum all /v (on admin prompt)

or using Visual BCD Editor (http://www.boyans.net).

To be able to dual boot Win7+Win8 you must have:

1) on first disk Windows 8 boot manager + BCD with two entries (one for w7 and one for w8).

Boot related files are installed to active partition !

To create a proper dual-boot:

1) Boot to Windows 7.

2) run "Dual-boot Repair" utility that comes with Visual BCD and click on "Automatic Repair".

This will create/add an entry for W8 and make it the default boot choice.

Reboot and see if you have a boot menu with W7 and W8.

Try if boot selection can load W7, then after rebooting same for W8.

Happy booting !

Note:

If you have UEFI firmware things are not so easy as BIOS/MBR style booting and UEFI/GPT style booting differ !

You have to check boot order in firmware and eventually select old style MBR format for both disks - also for DVD/USB device used for installation !

I don't know what exactly happens during installation when you have a MBR disk set as first and a second disk in GPT format which is the destination for the install.

• Edited by BoYans Friday, August 17, 2012 3:18 PM added explanation for UEFI firmware
    • Marked as answer by SLoweCSL Friday, August 17, 2012 4:31 PM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 2:48 PM
  • That did the trick. Thanks.
    Friday, August 17, 2012 4:32 PM