none
No Microsoft games in Windows 7?

Question

• I just installed Windows 7 Pro yesterday and can't find any Microsoft Games is this true or has my Windows installation gone wrong.This is the pre-order version of Windows 7 Pro.

I tried Games/Games Explorer press that and it's empty.
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Self build PC. Intel i7 940, Socket 1366 (B), Nehalem, 2.93GHz, Cache 8MB 1792MB EVGA GTX 295, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), 2000MHz GDDR3, GPU 576MHz, 480 Cores, HDMI/ 2x DL DVI-I, HDCP 6GB (3x2GB) CorsairXMS3, DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333) 240 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered 850W Corsair TX Series ATX, 4x PCI-E/ 8x SATA, PS/2 PSU Asus P6T, Intel X58, S1366, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), Triple DDR3 2000(OC), SATA 3Gb/s, SATA RAID, ATX Western Digital VelociRaptor 150GB Hard Drive SATA-300 10000rpm 16MB Cache Western Digital Hard Drive 500gig 72000rpm LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Disc Re-Writer & HD DVD-Rom SATA Black Asus Xonar D2 7.1 Ultra Fidelity Sound Card With Complete Dolby DTS Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor - Full HD 1080p Wintv usb2 TV Card OS Windows Vista Ultimate Retail 64bit
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:46 PM

Answers

• Sorry just found out that the Microsoft games are not installed you have to go to programs and features and then on lefthand side goto turn Windows features on or off then tick box that says games and your away your have 11 games now.
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Self build PC. Intel i7 940, Socket 1366 (B), Nehalem, 2.93GHz, Cache 8MB 1792MB EVGA GTX 295, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), 2000MHz GDDR3, GPU 576MHz, 480 Cores, HDMI/ 2x DL DVI-I, HDCP 6GB (3x2GB) CorsairXMS3, DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333) 240 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered 850W Corsair TX Series ATX, 4x PCI-E/ 8x SATA, PS/2 PSU Asus P6T, Intel X58, S1366, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), Triple DDR3 2000(OC), SATA 3Gb/s, SATA RAID, ATX Western Digital VelociRaptor 150GB Hard Drive SATA-300 10000rpm 16MB Cache Western Digital Hard Drive 500gig 72000rpm LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Disc Re-Writer & HD DVD-Rom SATA Black Asus Xonar D2 7.1 Ultra Fidelity Sound Card With Complete Dolby DTS Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor - Full HD 1080p Wintv usb2 TV Card OS Windows Vista Ultimate Retail 64bit
    • Marked as answer by Eric777 Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:58 PM
    • Edited by Eric777 Saturday, October 24, 2009 2:56 AM
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:57 PM
  • hello gang, wanted to let you all know that i was finally able to fix my solitaire problem!!  i used a thumb drive and copied it from my laptop to my desktop... but you need to make sure that you also copy the "cards.dll" file as well or it won't work.  that file is listed in c:\windows\system32 along with the sol.exe application.  thanks to everyone for all their help!  hope you all have a wonderful sunday!!!  sharon
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 5:15 PM

All replies

• Sorry just found out that the Microsoft games are not installed you have to go to programs and features and then on lefthand side goto turn Windows features on or off then tick box that says games and your away your have 11 games now.
    • Marked as answer by Eric777 Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:58 PM
    • Edited by Eric777 Saturday, October 24, 2009 2:56 AM
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:57 PM
  • hi eric,  i just installed windows7 and cannot find solitare.  i tried to follow your previous instructions but when i go to control panel there is no "programs" icon... help!! sharon
    Friday, October 23, 2009 11:04 PM
  • ya it changed it name now it's called "programs and features" just put that in the "search programs and files" box after click the start button.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 12:07 AM
  • tried to search for it but no luck.  it's also not in the control panel.  i can't believe how long i've been trying to get this done.  any other suggestions?
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 1:35 AM
  • Select the Start Orb and type   programs   in the search box. It should give you "programs and features" as a choice.

Saturday, October 24, 2009 1:51 AM
  • I hope theses pics help.

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r342/totalwar_photos/Untitled-2.png

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r342/totalwar_photos/Untitled2.png

Saturday, October 24, 2009 2:53 AM
  • tried to search for it but no luck.  it's also not in the control panel.  i can't believe how long i've been trying to get this done.  any other suggestions?

The games are treated as Window features, rather than regular installed applications.

Go to the "Programs and Feature" control panel. Click the "Turn Windows Feaures On or Off" button (upper left of the window). "Games" will be a directory of the new window that pops up.

If you search for "games" under Windows Help and Support, one of the results is "Where are my games?". The same information is included there.

I'm surprised that the games weren't installed by default. Is that usual on the Pro version? It's not normal on Home Premium or Ultimate.
    • Proposed as answer by kenygia Saturday, September 03, 2011 11:08 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by kenygia Saturday, September 03, 2011 11:09 PM
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 4:29 AM
  • tried both eric and bobkn's ways to fix solitaire and neither one will work.  there is no program or programs and features in my control panel.  i've searched for both as well and nothing comes up.   help!
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 2:53 PM
  • tried both eric and bobkn's ways to fix solitaire and neither one will work.  there is no program or programs and features in my control panel.  i've searched for both as well and nothing comes up.   help!

I'm not sure what your problem might be.

If you are using the default "category" view in Control Panel, click on Programs.

The top entry in the window that opens is "Programs and Features". The top middle row in that contains "Turn Windows Features On or Off".

(I always leave Control Panel in the "small icon" view, so I don't have to recall what category the CP I'm looking for resides in.)

I don't know whether you need to do this from an account with Administrator privileges, but there's nothing in Windows Help and Support that suggests that.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 4:09 PM
  • Trythis press start and copy and paste this into the seach box turn windows features on or off at the top your see a program icon with turn windows features on off in text under it.Left click that.

Your see at the top of the box see games left click that and press ok and it should install the games.

ase tell us which version of windows you have.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 4:35 PM
  • ok guys, really i'm not stupid.. tried both and still can't figure it out.  i've been trying to download this game for two days and i feel like a complete idiot!  i have solitaire on my laptop, is there any way to copy the executable files from there and paste onto my desktop?  thanks for all the help, it's greatly appreciated!!  sharon
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 6:13 PM

The games are treated as Window features, rather than regular installed applications.

Go to the "Programs and Feature" control panel. Click the "Turn Windows Feaures On or Off" button (upper left of the window). "Games" will be a directory of the new window that pops up.

If you search for "games" under Windows Help and Support, one of the results is "Where are my games?". The same information is included there.

I'm surprised that the games weren't installed by default. Is that usual on the Pro version? It's not normal on Home Premium or Ultimate.
    Thanks.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 8:09 PM
  • ok guys, really i'm not stupid.. tried both and still can't figure it out.  i've been trying to download this game for two days and i feel like a complete idiot!  i have solitaire on my laptop, is there any way to copy the executable files from there and paste onto my desktop?  thanks for all the help, it's greatly appreciated!!  sharon

Let's be clear on this.

What version of Win7 do you have? (Home Premium would be most common.) If you don't know, it's listed in the System control panel. (An alternate way of launching that is to hold down the Windows key, and press the Pause key.)

If I click on the Orb (lower left corner of the screen), and enter "program" (without the quotes) in the "search programs and files", the Programs and Features control panel is the the top thing that shows on my system in the Control Panel area. Clicking it launches it.

That doesn't work for you? If not, try to be more specific about what happens. "It doesn't work!" isn't helpful in troubleshooting.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 9:05 PM
  • ok.  checked and i an using windows xp.  my computer was recently cleaned and windows 7 was installed.  in the programs listing under accessories then entertainment there are no games listed.  this is how i used to open solitaire.  i hit the start button then search and input the word program with no quotations or any other symbols.  a couple of "program" files came up but when i double clicked each one it sent me to the listing you get when you hit start then all programs.  i've gone to the control panel and looked a gazillion times.. there is no listing for programs or programs and feature nor is there any option to "turn windows features on or off" button.  i have gone to the add/remove hardware tab then to the add/remove windows components option which takes me to the windows components wizard.  i've checked the listing and games is not there, not even under accessories and utilities.  i've also gone to the windows help and support page and typed in the word games.  i've tried the troubleshooting but it doesn't have a listing for "where are my games".  so that's everything i've done to date.  hope this helps with the technical aspects of troubleshooting.  i can't believe it's been this rough to just get solitaire...
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 10:08 PM
  • "ok.  checked and i an using windows xp."

If you are using Windows XP, Games should be listed under All programs in the start menu. You can find the program itself in C:\Windows\System32\sol.exe.
    Create a shortcut and put it on the desktop.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 10:52 PM
  • i am using xp.  games isn't listed under all programs in the start menu.  went to your second idea and the .exe file is not located in C:\Windows\System32.  thank you for the help though!  shouldn't i be able to copy it from my laptop and reinstall it on my desktop?  it works fine on my laptop.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 11:31 PM
  • ok.  checked and i an using windows xp.  my computer was recently cleaned and windows 7 was installed.  in the programs listing under accessories then entertainment there are no games listed.  this is how i used to open solitaire.  i hit the start button then search and input the word program with no quotations or any other symbols.  a couple of "program" files came up but when i double clicked each one it sent me to the listing you get when you hit start then all programs.  i've gone to the control panel and looked a gazillion times.. there is no listing for programs or programs and feature nor is there any option to "turn windows features on or off" button.  i have gone to the add/remove hardware tab then to the add/remove windows components option which takes me to the windows components wizard.  i've checked the listing and games is not there, not even under accessories and utilities.  i've also gone to the windows help and support page and typed in the word games.  i've tried the troubleshooting but it doesn't have a listing for "where are my games".  so that's everything i've done to date.  hope this helps with the technical aspects of troubleshooting.  i can't believe it's been this rough to just get solitaire...

It's now clear from what you say that you are running XP. The "my computer was recently cleaned and Windows 7 was installed" can't be right. Windows may have been installed again, but it was XP. (You realize that they are entirely different operating systems, I hope.) That explains why you couldn't find the Win7 control panel items - they aren't present in XP. The control panel item in XP is the "add/remove programs" one.  

The Windows component add/remove also works differently. When you "remove" them under Windows 7, the files remain, you just can't access them. You can re-install the games without needing a Windows 7 installation disk.

Under XP, it's different.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/307768

According to this, you'll need an XP installation disk to install the games. I hope that whoever installed XP for you (without the games) left you one.

I don't know if you could simply copy the XP game excecutables and run them. What OS is your laptop running? If it's not XP, I'm not optimistic. The only thing I've done that resembled that was copying the Space Cadet Pinball game from XP to Vista. That worked.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:29 AM
  • hi bob!  i guess my secret is out... i am so not computer saavy and didn't receive that technological gene that seems to be my undoing.  yes, my laptop is running windows xp.  i tried your last task but unfortunately it did ask for a disc and of course i am not in possession of one.  do you think that because my laptop is xp that i would somehow be able to transfer, maybe via a thumb drive, the executable solitaire to my desktop?  it's sad and almost embarrassing.. but i'm going through a divorce and solitaire is the only way to take my mind away from all my troubles, at least for an hour or so.  any other help, tips, etc. anyone could provide would be GREATLY appreciated!  it's not like im trying to hack into the irs or homeland security.. all i want is my solitaire back.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:47 AM
  • hi bob!  i guess my secret is out... i am so not computer saavy and didn't receive that technological gene that seems to be my undoing.  yes, my laptop is running windows xp.  i tried your last task but unfortunately it did ask for a disc and of course i am not in possession of one.  do you think that because my laptop is xp that i would somehow be able to transfer, maybe via a thumb drive, the executable solitaire to my desktop?  it's sad and almost embarrassing.. but i'm going through a divorce and solitaire is the only way to take my mind away from all my troubles, at least for an hour or so.  any other help, tips, etc. anyone could provide would be GREATLY appreciated!  it's not like im trying to hack into the irs or homeland security.. all i want is my solitaire back.

Aha.

This is a wee bit off-topic for a Win7 forum.

However, a little Googling suggests that the solitaire executable  is:

c:\windows\system32\sol.exe

(This assumes that c: is your Windows drive. It almost always is.)

It's likely enough that you can copy it from your laptop (with a thumb drive) and run it on your desktop PC. A lot of Windows programs require a proper install to run, but I expect that this one will run fine without that. I'd check it, but I don't have ready access to an XP machine.

By the way, if you're in the US and $20 isn't too much for you, you can buy the Hoyle 2010 card game collection by download:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168144121400SF

If you're looking for distractions, there's a lot more in it than in the Microsoft freebies.

Sunday, October 25, 2009 5:44 AM
  • bob, thank you sooo much for all of your help.  I greatly appreciate you taking the time to "school" me.  i've already looked in the c:\windows\system32\sol.exe and the application is not there.  hopefully i can use a thumb drive to copy it from my laptop.  thanks again!!  sharon
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 2:44 PM
  • hello gang, wanted to let you all know that i was finally able to fix my solitaire problem!!  i used a thumb drive and copied it from my laptop to my desktop... but you need to make sure that you also copy the "cards.dll" file as well or it won't work.  that file is listed in c:\windows\system32 along with the sol.exe application.  thanks to everyone for all their help!  hope you all have a wonderful sunday!!!  sharon
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 5:15 PM
  • I'm glad that you figured it out.

Sounds like you're not all that helpless a Windows user.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 8:48 PM
  • Microsoft is going backward. Remember add remove programs in windows 95,98,  its still there they now just dont tell people how to get there. Leaving solitair out is a big mistake if you ask me. To add to it the Spider solitair in WIN XP is much better than Vista and Windows-7

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:15 AM
  • Hey Guy,

I Was searching for the games in windows7. Found out with your helps.

Thanks a Lot

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 5:20 PM
  • Hi eric

this is so helpfull to me thank you verymuch

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 5:22 AM
  • thanks allot it helped me a lot also thought i made a mistake
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 8:22 PM
  • Eric777 you star, i've been looking for ages :)

thanking you

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 1:01 PM
  • Thanks a bunch!  This did the trick!
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 4:30 PM
  • Thank you Boo, this really worked...for a sec i was just lost and could not find any way as into what happen to all my games or why don't i have any games, but now i followed you instruction and what do you know...i got all my games...Thanks a mill...Keep the good work up..Eric777
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 10:19 PM
  • Thank you, Thank you........THANK YOU!!!
    Friday, March 04, 2011 8:12 PM
  • I just tried that with my Windows 7 Professional and it works!!! I finally have games on my computer! Thank You very much!
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:17 PM
  • This was the right answer- Gotta remember that some of us are technodorks and then some of us skipped Vista and dont know anything about the new stuff after XP- I have only had 7 for a couple of weeks. Please keep it simple like this.
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:56 AM
  • Hi,

Here are the steps to enable games in Windows 7 if they do not show up automatically,

http://mikemstech.blogspot.com/2011/11/how-to-install-games-that-come-with.html

-- Mike Burr
    Technology
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:11 PM

Thanks man!! You just solved a big problem for me.
    Friday, March 30, 2012 2:25 AM
  • is there suppose to be games on explorer games when i down loaded windows 7 pro if so how do i go about getting them i also went to windows open close features and nothing comes up

• Edited by pvandam Thursday, September 27, 2012 2:40 PM
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 2:37 PM
  • Thank you this was helpful!
    Saturday, October 06, 2012 9:03 PM