none
5200 series lexmark printer problem

Question

•  

i have a 5200 series lexmark printer. i have installed the vista driver package and when it comes to plugging in the usb cable the software doesnt continue installing. instead, the computer says it cant find the drivers for the printer. i went into device manager and tried installing the driver manually by browsing my pc and selecting the folder with the drivers in it. the computer still said it couldnt find the correct drivers. i am at my wits end!

can any1 help?

s white

Monday, November 12, 2007 4:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Steven,

From your post, I understand that the printer driver failed to be installed on a Windows Vista machine, and the system indicated it could not find out the driver for the printer when you plugged the printer to the USB cable and selected the folder storing the driver.

In this case, please install the latest drivers for the motherboard, especially drivers for the USB controller chipsets.

After that, please check the following points:

1.    Is the USB controller driver installed correctly? Please open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and check if there is any yellow question mark on USB-related devices.

2.    Do other USB devices work properly? Please plug other USB device into the machine and check if it works fine.

If the issue persists after we work through those steps, please download the driver from Lexmark’s website to try again:

http://www.lexmark.com/lexmark/sequentialem/home/0,6959,204816596_1019285789_0_en,00.html

Additionally, I suggest contacting Lexmark to obtain detailed information so that the issue can be resolved more efficiently. For your reference, I have included the following contact information of Lexmark:

http://support.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/contact.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:440:0:0

Hope it helps.

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Sincerely,

Joson Zhou

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, November 15, 2007 10:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Steven,

From your post, I understand that the printer driver failed to be installed on a Windows Vista machine, and the system indicated it could not find out the driver for the printer when you plugged the printer to the USB cable and selected the folder storing the driver.

In this case, please install the latest drivers for the motherboard, especially drivers for the USB controller chipsets.

After that, please check the following points:

1.    Is the USB controller driver installed correctly? Please open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and check if there is any yellow question mark on USB-related devices.

2.    Do other USB devices work properly? Please plug other USB device into the machine and check if it works fine.

If the issue persists after we work through those steps, please download the driver from Lexmark’s website to try again:

http://www.lexmark.com/lexmark/sequentialem/home/0,6959,204816596_1019285789_0_en,00.html

Additionally, I suggest contacting Lexmark to obtain detailed information so that the issue can be resolved more efficiently. For your reference, I have included the following contact information of Lexmark:

http://support.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/contact.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:440:0:0

Hope it helps.

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Sincerely,

Joson Zhou

Thursday, November 15, 2007 10:59 AM
  • i may sound stupid, but ive never installed driver for a motherboard or chipsets. can you help me do this please?

Saturday, November 24, 2007 12:28 PM
  • Hi Steven,

Don’t worry.

Firstly, you can check the manufacturer’s website and check whether there are updated devices drivers for the motherboard and chipsets. It is also a good idea that you contact the manufacturer support direct and ask them for the latest drivers designed for Windows Vista. Please understand on the motherboard issue, we are not the best support resource.

If there is anything unclear in my post, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Joson Zhou

Monday, November 26, 2007 10:18 AM