none
Nonstop Error FailoverClustering-Client Event 81 in Windows 10 Pro v1809 RRS feed

• Question

• Running Windows 10 Pro v1809. Enabling Hyper-V produces a nonstop (at least once per minute) flow of Error "FailoverClustering-Client Event 81". As an experiment, stopping the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service stops said nonstop flow.

'K, I'll get into the Failover Management Console and disable the root of the problem. Except I cannot enable _any_ of the RSAT elements, as _none_ of them are present under Turn Windows Features On and Off.

So it appears that Hyper-V produces the Error because it cannot find failover clustering … which is not installed under Windows 10 Pro v1809 … and the management tools needed to "turn the stuff off" are _also_ not available. Hahaha.

--------------------

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-FailoverClustering-Client
    Date:          2/28/2019 7:53:41 AM
    Event ID:      81
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      (1024)
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      xxxxxxxxxx
    Description:
    LogExtendedErrorInformation (974): Extended RPC error information:
    ProcessID is 2524
    System time is: 50903/468/31223 490:0:1408:13807
    Generating component is 2
    Status is 1753
    Detection location is 501
    Flags is 0
    NumberOfParameters is 4
    Unicode string: ncacn_ip_tcp
    Unicode string: localhost
    Long val: -1182943054
    Long val: 382312662

Thursday, February 28, 2019 6:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

1. Your description is not clear. Have you installed a virtual machine in Hyper-V? If so, what is your VM version?

2. Failover cluster management Console  What does this mean?

3. As I understand, your current situation is that your Hyper-V report failover cluster Event id 81, buy you did not install Failover Cluster role, if I misunderstood, please let me know.

4. Whether try to reinstall Hyper-V?

5. Has the failover cluster role been installed before?

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 1, 2019 8:04 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 1:27 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. I am running Windows 10 _PRO_ v1809. I am _not_ running Windows Server, which makes the error message about FailoverClustering that much more out of place.

As noted, in Event Viewer I see "Error "FailoverClustering-Client Event 81" at least once per minute. And these errors appear even when I am _not_ running a Hyper-V client.

I know that Hyper-V as implemented in Windows 10 _PRO_ shares a great deal with Hyper-V as implemented in Windows Server ... but there are fundamental differences as well. I believe what I am seeing here is a bug caused by the different implementation of Hyper-V in Windows 10 _PRO_.

Cheers,
    Bruce.

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 1:39 AM
  •   In Windows 10 version 1809, RSAT tools are in Features on demand. https://www.prajwaldesai.com/install-rsat-tools-on-windows-10-version-1809/

I doubt that they would do anything if you target a Windows 10 host.

Bill

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 6:18 AM
  • Hi,

Have you ever used this machine to remotely access a node in a cluster?

Best Regards,

Daniel

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 9:25 AM
  • No, this machine has never accessed a cluster.
    • Edited by Pressed250 Tuesday, March 5, 2019 3:50 PM
    Tuesday, March 5, 2019 3:49 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

Can you try to reinstall Hyper-V, and can you upload the logs as pictures?

Did the machine make any changes before this problem occurred?

Best Regards,

Daniel

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 9:23 AM
  • Hi Daniel--

- Uninstalled Hyper-V, rebooted
    - Re-installed Hyper-V, rebooted
    [note that this is done via the Control Panel, Turn Windows Features On and Off]

Errors occur nonstop, as before. Here's a screen capture of Event Viewer. Worth noting that at this point, there are _NO_ Hyper-V clients running. The screen capture reflects activity immediately after the reboot.

Oops, I cannot upload an image because my account is not yet verified?

As described at the top of this thread, 3-6 times per minute I get an Error "FailoverClustering-Client Event ID 81". Event description is below ...

Cheers,
    Bruce.

------------------------------

LogExtendedErrorInformation (974): Extended RPC error information:
    ProcessID is 7348
    System time is: 45687/468/23422 361:0:4880:5586
    Generating component is 2
    Status is 1753
    Detection location is 501
    Flags is 0
    NumberOfParameters is 4
    Unicode string: ncacn_ip_tcp
    Unicode string: localhost
    Long val: -1182943054
    Long val: 382312662

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 6:12 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

Does Win10 join the domain? If so, please try to exit to see if the problem still exists.

To be honest, your question is strange. I haven't found any information about Failover Clustering-Client Event ID 81.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Thursday, March 7, 2019 1:56 AM
  • No, this system does not join a domain. And yes, this is mighty MIGHTY strange.

Another (not too surprising) finding: if I STOP the "Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management" service, the nonstop errors halt. That disables Hyper-V, of course, so it isn't much of help.

Cheers,
    Bruce.

Thursday, March 7, 2019 2:03 AM
  • Hi,<o:p></o:p>

Thanks for your quick reply!<o:p></o:p>

I just discussed it with my colleagues. We wonder if you installed Failover Cluster manager feature?<o:p></o:p>

And maybe you can see it:<o:p></o:p>

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2693643/remote-server-administration-tools-rsat-for-windows-operating-systems<o:p></o:p>

If you checked this feature, try to unchecked and see if the problem still exists.<o:p></o:p>

Best Regards,<o:p></o:p>

Daniel<o:p></o:p>

Thursday, March 7, 2019 2:12 AM
  • No, I've never installed anything to do with Failover Cluster Manager. Indeed, it is not even an option … as I am running Windows 10 _PRO_ and not Windows Server.

Thanks for the continued help on this strange situation. I sincerely believe this is a _bug_ that was introduced in one of the bi-annual Windows updates. Hyper-V running with Windows 10 _PRO_ is an unusual 'hybrid' and something about its unusual nature has gone awry.

Cheers,
    Bruce.

Thursday, March 7, 2019 2:53 AM
  • Hi,

You are welcome!

Have you seen the link I gave you?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2693643/remote-server-administration-tools-rsat-for-windows-operating-systems

Maybe I made a mistake just now. I suspect that your problem is caused by RSAT.

Please try to disable this feature if you install it

I always hope to do my best to solve every problem and help those who encounter problems.

Thanks again for your quickly reply!

Best Regards,

Daniel

<textarea class="textarea" data-height="70" id="baidu_translate_input" style="margin:0px;padding:0px;font-family:Arial, 'PingFang SC', 'Hiragino Sans GB', STHeiti, 'Microsoft YaHei', 'WenQuanYi Micro Hei', sans-serif;font-size:24px;height:70px;width:553px;line-height:30px;background-color:transparent;border-width:0px;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;resize:none;outline:0px;color:#333333;"></textarea>

Please try to disable this feature.

Thursday, March 7, 2019 3:05 AM
  • Ah, sorry for the mixup: _no_ I do not have RSAT installed.

Under Windows 10 Pro v1809, by the way, RSAT is no longer installed via Control Panel > Programs > Turn Windows Features On and Off. It is now available via Windows Settings > Apps > Manage Optional Features: there I _could_ install "RSAT: Failover Clustering Tools" … but I do _not_ have any of the RSAT tools installed.

Cheers,
    Bruce.

Thursday, March 7, 2019 4:43 AM
  • Hi,

It seems really strange. I will continue to look for some possible causes of this problem.

I will contact you as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Thursday, March 7, 2019 9:28 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same issue, my started in february. I have also Windows 10 pro, I'm using hyper-v, nothing like FailoverClustering is not installed. This is my personal PC, nothing with domain etc...

Regards,

Jakub

Friday, April 5, 2019 11:37 AM
  • We had the same issue on a Hyper-V virtual Exchange 2019 Server.  The problem started after a Microsoft update (sorry, I don't remember which one).  Anyhow, it turns out that the update seems to have installed a new feature to the server tools. 

Go to your Server Manager for the exchange server -->  choose to manage -->  Remove roles.   

Look for:  Remote Server Administration Tools --> Feature Administration Tools --> Failover clustering Tools

In our situation, three of the for boxes in the feature were checked (we didn't do it). Unchecking and restarting eliminated the errors, which were filling up our event logs.  Did this three days ago and no problems since.

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 9:06 PM
  • Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm seeing this problem on Windows 10 >PRO< not Windows Server. Which makes it all the more of a conundrum, as Failover Clustering cannot be installed (to the best of my knowledge). And even if Failover Clustering somehow managed to get itself installed, none of the "Windows Server" techniques to remove it are available to me on Windows 10 Pro.
    Tuesday, April 16, 2019 9:41 PM
  • Hi Pressed250,

I am Daniel and wish you all the best!

I just saw a link saying that if you install Acronis Backup Cloud backup software, you may have Event 81 error, so please check whether you have installed this backup software or some other three-party backup software.

https://kb.acronis.com/content/62621

Best Regards,

Daniel

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 7:22 AM
  • Hi Pressed250,

I am Daniel and wish you all the best!

I just saw a link saying that if you install Acronis Backup Cloud backup software, you may have Event 81 error, so please check whether you have installed this backup software or some other three-party backup software.

https://kb.acronis.com/content/62621

Best Regards,

Daniel

This worked for me. I uninstalled the Acronis agent and the error stopped. 

My Windows is 1903, recently upgraded from 1803.

Thanks

Thursday, May 23, 2019 4:28 PM
  • Cool!

Please help me mark the useful reply as an answer, thank you in advance!

Best Regards,

Daniel

Friday, May 24, 2019 1:21 AM
  • FYI,

NUMTO talked about checking into to see if you have ACRONIS backup software.  I am having similar issues with Server 2019 with all the latest updates.  I am using Backup Exec, there is an option to check the cloud services.  I unchecked it.  It seems to have calmed the server down form those cluster errors.  Also, I verified this by removing (uninstalling) Backup Exec.  When I had it uninstalled from the server, I didn't get any of those Cluster errors.  The minute I reinstalled, a short time later I kept getting those, so perhaps you may have some piece or a backup software (Other software) that may have a feature that involves the cloud, or clustering.   

Friday, July 5, 2019 9:10 PM
  • Thanks for the info!

I have Backup Exec on Server 2019 also and this save me a bunch of time tracking down the error.  Could you point me to where the option to check the cloud services is?

We are having a few other confirmed Backup Exec issues with 2019 including a BSOD that they are not willing to own yet...  Don't update any tape drive firmware with BE installed on 2019 at this time Uninstall BE first.  

I'm not sure how they say it is 2019 compatible at this time?

Thanks,

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 4:51 PM
  • I have the latest Backup Exec 20.5 running on Server 2012 R2 backing up a Server 2019 box using an agent.  The 2019 server doesn't have the Failover Clustering role or any tools installed but does have the Hyper-V role installed.  I get these errors every week on the 2019 server event logs during the backup window.  I opened a ticket with Veritas who remotely connected and viewed the issue but basically ignored the problem saying it was a Microsoft issue and told me to contact Microsoft.  I mentioned Acronis had a similar problem and they fixed it.  I also mentioned this thread and the cloud option mentioned but was told that since we are not using cloud storage then no cloud options are available to configure. 

If I don't run the backup, then I don't get those errors.  If I uninstall the agent I also don't get those errors but of course can't backup the server.  I am backing up another Server 2019 box with Backup Exec that doesn't have the Hyper-V role on it and it is fine.  The Software Compatibility List for BE shows Server 2019 is supported since version 20.3.  I have 2016 boxes with Hyper-V installed that don't have an issue.  I may need to build another 2019 server with the Hyper-V role on it to see if that's the cause.  Not sure what else to check or where to go from here besides ignoring the errors.

Thanks.

Thursday, October 10, 2019 3:20 PM
  • Hi Jerry,

Did you by any chance find a solution to your problem? I have the same error on my server 2019 that have BE 20.5 installed on it. My BE 20.5 server dont have the Hyper-v role on it but each time a backup job runs the event 81 get logged. I have different server 2019 with Hyper-v role on it and we installed the BE agent on it and each time we backup the VM on this machine the even 81 get logged.

Thanks

Shahin

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:16 AM
  • Hi Shahin,

I spoke to different people at Veritas who apologized for the way the support ticket was handled.  They said they are aware of the issue and there is an on going discussion between Microsoft and Veritas regarding these event 81 errors.  I was told that the events are strictly cosmetic and have no impact on backups whatsoever and can be safely ignored.  BE 20.6 should be released in the next few weeks but it was too far along for them to include a fix for this issue in that release.  I was told it should be fixed early next year in the following release.  There is supposedly an internal KB article that is private at the moment that eventually will be made public.  I was hoping to read it but wasn't able to.  For now, I'm ignoring the errors in hopes that a fix will come early next year as promised.    

Thanks,

Jerry

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 4:39 PM
  • Hi Jerry,

Thank you for your update and happy that someone have a good info on this issue.

Thanks

Shahin

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 8:05 AM