Can't start the Peer Name Resolution Protocol service RRS feed

• Question

• I had a problem with my old user account and followed instruction that said I needed to create a new account in order to fix my "Microsoft Store" account. I did this, I created a new user account and deleted the old broken one, because this new account fixed my problems.

Unfortunately I can no longer access HomeGroup. I couldn't create a HomeGroup because my system kept insisting that the old user account name had created a HomeGroup, but the account was deleted, so I can't join a non existing HomeGroup. I found a solution by leaving the HomeGroup in my other computer on the network and it made the existing homeGroup (old account) go away, letting me create a new HomeGroup, but when I try to create the group I get errors.

I ran the troubleshooter from the HomeGroup control panel and it ends with the error saying I have a network error which leads to the Windows network diagnostic which ends with the following error:

Either the Peer Name Resolution Protocol service (PNRPsvc) or the Peer Networking Identity Manager service (p2pimsvc) is not running.

When I use the administration tools to access services and look at the services p2pimsvc is running and when I try to manually start PNRPsvc I get the following error:

Windows could not start the Peer Name Resolution Protocol service on Local Computer.
    Error 0x80630203: Unable to access a key.

I read a few posts that mention deleting the idstore.sst file from the C:\windows\serviceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking folder but that didn't worked.

Tried Net stop p2pimsvc and deleting (moved for safe keeping just in case) the files under C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking

didn't work

How do I fix this? Can the permissions to this key be repaired? It looks like some kind of permission problem, but how do I find the file in question in order to change permissions?

Thursday, March 14, 2013 3:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest you use Process Monitor when you run Net start command to start Peer Name Resolution Protocol service, this will tell us which key or file it cannot access.

Juke Chou
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Saturday, April 6, 2013 4:59 PM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 9:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest you use Process Monitor when you run Net start command to start Peer Name Resolution Protocol service, this will tell us which key or file it cannot access.

Juke Chou
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Saturday, April 6, 2013 4:59 PM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 9:25 AM
  • Is that a solution? I'm sorry but we come here for the "HOW TO" not an off hand detail lacking response! How do you do that in other words! I have the exact same problem on a Dell laptop running Windows 10 and it was discovered while attempting to reconnect to an existing Homegroup I had running prior to this laptop crashing and needing a complete reset. Following one Microsoft instruction to start the Peer Name Resolution Protocol. Following that instruction I get the error 0x80630203 Unable to Access Key. So I search that error here and dead end here with no instruction whatsoever.
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 5:08 PM